cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New B&W Companion

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Just got a press release saying that B&W has released a new Companion FW hitch with 20,000 lbs capacity. It's up on their site now. One thing that I noticed, is that it appears that they've added an adjustable-width "rail", for lack of a better term, underneath the frame, that sits in the bottom of the bed channel. There are slots on each end to allow adjustment for width. I would ASSume that the rail is just tall enough to sit on the bottom of the channel while allowing the rest of the frame to sit on the ridges. This would address the bed-denting issue some have reported on newer trucks.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member
13 REPLIES 13

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
Our fifth is no where 20,000 #'s, so I'll stay with the present B&W we have.
It is a great hitch and I wouldn't want any other brand.
The (4) U-bolts are not that big a deal for me.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
57 Panhead wrote:
Can you buy just the base without the hitch head and if so anybody know what the cost is?

Steve

probably have to call B&W to get that info. the Patriot and Companion heads aren't the same. don't know if the new one is the same as the old either.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

57_Panhead
Explorer
Explorer
Can you buy just the base without the hitch head and if so anybody know what the cost is?

Steve
Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
All sorts of good stuff. I'll admit, blatant fan-boy post:
http://learntorv.blogspot.com/2013/10/b-announces-new-companion-hitch.html

(And no, I don't make a dime from the blog entry- I just like their stuff!)
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Well not likely to changing from what I got, But will say the new method of installing in the TV looks to be a great improvement over the U bolts.

and the wider base, with the wrap under feet.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well not likely to changing from what I got, But will say the new method of installing in the TV looks to be a great improvement over the U bolts.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my Companion four years ago on craigslist for $400USD and it has performed flawlessly for over 22K towing miles, it's paid for itself.....
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Alley Fox wrote:
Looks like they've added some nice features. I'm a long way from 20K#, but I'm tempted to take a closer look, maybe retire my old Companion 'cause it looks like a nice upgrade.

Be nice to upgrade, for sure, but The Boss would frown on it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

I like it too.. how much spare do you need? I have the rail based Patriot. my FW is rated 15,500 GVWR.. I think I would have to load the tanks to get there.

the Patriot is rated 16k#/4k hitch.. I am as yet, under 3k hitch.
and 1st weigh said 10700 on the trailer axles.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Alley Fox wrote:
Looks like they've added some nice features. I'm a long way from 20K#, but I'm tempted to take a closer look, maybe retire my old Companion 'cause it looks like a nice upgrade.

Lyle

No kidding. The new one looks great, but mine is only a year and a half old. I'd be beaten in my sleep if I even suggested it...
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Alley Fox wrote:

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ricatic wrote:
I had a very nice discussion with the B&W staff at the Hershey RV Show. It started with me telling them how much I liked the hitch but was concerned because I was looking at 20,000# GVW toy haulers.

Like the carnival barker, they said "step right over here and see our latest offering"...and they showed me the new 20,000# GVW Companion. It has a redesigned base that no longer uses the U Bolts to attach to the TurnOver Ball socket. There are other changes that also lend to the new GVW.

It sure looked like a very clean setup...if I get a bigger trailer...I will have one...

Regards

No more u-bolts? Pray, tell us how they dunnit! ๐Ÿ™‚

Later: Found the new install video. Pretty cool development they've got.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
I had a very nice discussion with the B&W staff at the Hershey RV Show. It started with me telling them how much I liked the hitch but was concerned because I was looking at 20,000# GVW toy haulers.

Like the carnival barker, they said "step right over here and see our latest offering"...and they showed me the new 20,000# GVW Companion. It has a redesigned base that no longer uses the U Bolts to attach to the TurnOver Ball socket. There are other changes that also lend to the new GVW.

It sure looked like a very clean setup...if I get a bigger trailer...I will have one...

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye