cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New camper home, pin box concerns,

fjrjohnny
Explorer
Explorer
The seller was kind enough to deliver the '09 KZ Sportsmen Toyhauler. He did so by using his short box pickup with a slider hitch that was set-up for the trailer in question.

After backing my '09 F350 with a long box under the camper and stopping when the king pin was just ahead of the axle, there is only around 7" of clearance between the truck and camper. Because the truck is yet to be equipped with a hitch, it can't hooked-up to see how the clearance would actually work. But by appearances alone, the distance looks to be inadequate.

Arrangements have been made to have a standard Pullrite fifth wheel hitch installed, and a used Dexter/Leland 7920 pin box has been acquired. I'm told that the this pin box is 8" longer that the one on the camper right now. That is a Leland AF7910, which is approximately 16" from the camper end of the box to the center of the pin.

Am hoping that the additional 8" of clearance will be enough, but an somewhat worried that the longer pin box may strike the top of the bedrail, which is at stock height. My truck is equipped with a truck camper suspension and Firestone Air Bags, and it sits up a bit in the rear.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue, or can anyone shed some advise?

Thanks in advance, John
36 REPLIES 36

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I only have around 6" of clearance on mine and have never had an issue.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
fjrjohnny wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies so far. Would like to post some images, but am unsure how to. Can someone assist me, or point me to the forum's directions on posting?

Link to post pics
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
For reference if this is helpful:

When hooked up with my andersen 5th wheel ultimate companion, I can open my tailgate and have about 3-4" between tailgate and the 5th wheel.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

fjrjohnny
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies so far. Would like to post some images, but am unsure how to. Can someone assist me, or point me to the forum's directions on posting?

diesel_man_03
Explorer
Explorer
You have to be able to open the tailgate with some clearance for safe turning distance between camper and truck.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
"the longer pin box may strike the top of the bedrail" Yep, had to cut a 2" or 3" 45 deg chamfer on the back of my pin box to clear the bed rails.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
This will take a little work,

Take a string pull it from one side of bed to the other where you think the center of the hitch plate will be above axle, back under trailer until pin comes in contact with string with tail gate down, if you can do this with 2 or 3" clearance between tail gate and trailer you will be good to go.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Seven inches will not be enough. You have to be able to lower your tailgate to hitch up unless you have a V tailgate.

With my tailgate down I have about two inches clearance between it and the trailer. Between the bumper and the trailer is about 20 inches.

If you have estimated the correct position for the pin WRT the pickup axle (directly over the axle) you will need an extended pin box.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
With only 7" or so of clearance (truck bumper and front of FW) it sounds FW has a 'short pin box' (one that is behind front cap of FW)

An extended pin box will increase the clearance between truck bumper and front of FW

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I agree there is some confusion going on here.

The OP was talking about bumper to front of 5th. (I think) 7" is not enough, but why is it so close? unless there is a short pin box on it. The tail gate needs to be able to be lowered. If it can then the turning clearance should be fine.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
am i missing something or are there 2 different conversations happening in this thread?

i thought he said rear bumper to front of camper.

fjrjohnny wrote:
The distance is between the truck's rear bumper and the front of the camper.

Will try to post.

that can't possibly be enough distance. on my setup, i can put my tailgate down when hitched up. i've actually even driven it to dump (on accident) with the tailgate down.

maybe 7" is good, i'd think a good turn could cause an issue.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

djwest21
Explorer
Explorer
The installer of the hitch will make the adjustments needed to tow level. Besides when you back under the trailer with the hitch installed, the pin weight is going to drop the truck bed and rails down from the weight of the pin.
God Bless West

Jpatrickc
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think 7" of clearance between the truck bumper and the front of the fifth wheel is enough. I would think that the bumper would hit the fifth wheel during a sharp turn. I probably have 20" of clearance and can walk between the truck and the camper with the tailgate down. The low clearance would also make it impossible to access the front storage with the 2 connected and the front storage is where I keep all my wheel chocks and leveling foot pads.

Pat
Patrick Campbell
State College, PA
2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3
2006 Chevy Silverado extended cab LBZ Dually

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Always interested in 5vers. When I bought my first 5ver in 2000 sure glad I had a good dealer. I knew nothing about 5vers. Drove in and they installed everthing. When I drove out my hitch worked great and my 5ver rode level. Now as I drive down the highway just a few of 5vers I see ride level. Most look like rocket launchers. Have the dealers gotten that bad in the last 15 years?

fjrjohnny
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what the original owner did. When he first bought the camper in '09, it was equipped with the stock pin box, and he had a long box truck. Everything worked fine at this point. Then, he switched-over to a short box pick-up, and the stock pin box struck the top of his bedrail. The bedrail is slightly higher than stock because it is equipped with a tonneau cover. He then equipped his truck with a slider hitch, and switched-over to the shorter Leland AF 7910 pin box. This configuration worked fine.