cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New interstate speed limits

madbow43
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from a road trip with the family Outback . Traveled US 93 , I 15 , I 84 . In Nevada, Oregon , Idaho and Utah. Limits are from 70 to 80mph , posted speed , well everyone is plus 10mph , myself included. My question is , while towing our 5th wheel my speed is about 62mph , sweet spot . Should I run with my 4ways on? I saw a car in Idaho doing just that traveling in the slow lane at 60-65
39 REPLIES 39

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
plock40 wrote:
calif. is 55mph, when driving in other states I drive 65 mph, and i'am still going to slow, trucker honk their horns like they want me to go faster. I don't feel safe going 70 or more. I stay in the slow lane as much as possible, can't and won't do to much more

What have you done to tick off the professional drivers? I've never had them honk at me when I'm doing 58 to 63 in the slow lane. I've only lived here for 76 years and only been driving since 1956, you may have more experience that I have driving here but no one else says anything about being honked at driving at 65mph.

Excuse me I forgot to deduct the two years I was floating, well sort of we were submerged, around the No. Pacific and Artic in Uncle Sam's canoe club.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
I only run 62-65 but the last trip out ran into a major thunderstorm with hail, high winds, and had to come to a complete stop on I40 in Texas, debris, signs, and all kinds of stuff came across the highway, we were all stopped in the traffic lane with flashers on and keeping my fingers crossed that no one ran into the rear of us.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

plock40
Explorer
Explorer
calif. is 55mph, when driving in other states I drive 65 mph, and i'am still going to slow, trucker honk their horns like they want me to go faster. I don't feel safe going 70 or more. I stay in the slow lane as much as possible, can't and won't do to much more
3500 Ram 4x4 Dually Crew Cab Longbed
990 Artic Fox Camper
2005 Cardinal 5th Wheel

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every time it rains around, which is often, and I'm on the road, which is often, I'll be behind someone going the same speed as everyone else with their dang flashers on. It startles the heck out of me. Takes a couple seconds to decide if they are about to come to a stop or they're just ate up with the dumb butt.
Only time I turn on 4 way flashers is if the traffic is coming to stop or near stop, or I'm on the side of the road.
Rant over, thanks for letting me vent. I feel better.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
What is against the law.

Driving with hazard lights on in Florida is illegal. They intend the usage to be used when disabled on the side of the road.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
corvettekent wrote:
Oregon is still 60 when towing. I also like towing at 62 but I usually find a trucker and follow him. As for the four way flashers I turn them on if I'm climbing a hill and doing under 45 mph.

Yes, better than 55, and currently mAx speed limit in Oregon is 70 on I84 east of the gorge and i5 south of Portland with 60 in Salem.

I find run at 60 to 65 inter state or secondary road depending on traffic flow.
If one has enough TV for their trailer it is not an issue. Several of Oregon roads to the coast have limited passing lanes, or safe places to pass. So I figure I am being safer going 5 to 10 over if staying with traffic than going the 55 limit.
Others will disagree "I go 55 because it is the limit", then some impatient idiot tries to pass in a bad spot and you get taken out, sorry less likely to happen to me than you.
Everyone has there comfort zone mine is as stated!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
First, check the rating of your tires, never drive faster than your tires are rated for. Even driving at their rated maximum could cause a problem, if they are older. Second, at least in Florida, driving with your hazards is illegal and could get you a ticket. That being said, IMHO driving less than 10 MPH of the average speed is causing a dangerous condition. People on cell phones, texting, or just dreaming will come up on you to fast, they then will slam on their brakes, change lanes, or crash into your rear, any of which could cause a major accident. It amazes me how many people do not know how to drive correctly on the interstate. Law enforcement should be increased, and tickets given to those who exceede safe speeds, or drive to slow! Those people should be required to attend a course on safe interstate driving, merging, keeping to the "driving" lane unless passing, driving at the posted speed! This would make interstate driving safer for all!

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
What is against the law.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Socref124
Explorer
Explorer
It is against the law in Florida.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
:h
I can comfortably run at 70 with the 2001 and 5er in tow, with the 3.55's in the sweet spot. I think that is not a bad speed with LT tires on the 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
A few states we were in last summer had mim speed limit on interstates, I think it was 45. Saw very few state police until we hit I40 between AR and OKC. We say more it that stretch of road than we did in the 3 mo we were on the road
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
corvettekent wrote:

...Oregon is still 60 when towing...

Not exactly. Recent legislation raised the speed limits on certain freeways in eastern OR to 70/60, But in western OR, the speed limit continues to be 65/55.

Unlike CA, whose signage clearly states vehicles towing are limited to 55 MPH, both OR and WA use signage stating a reduced speed limit for "trucks". The question becomes: "what is a truck??". Hint: in these two states it is *NOT* anything concerning commercial use. A "truck" in these states is determined by weight.

In OR, a truck is defined as a "a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles operated as a unit that has a combined weight that is greater than 14,000 pounds".
OR Reference

In WA, "The word "trucks" used by the department on signs giving notice of maximum speed limits means vehicles over ten thousand pounds gross weight and all vehicles in combination except auto stages". (Note: auto stage is a bus carrying passengers)
WA Reference

To summarize, most RVs, especially 5th wheels, exceed 14K or 10K and are limited by the Truck speed limit. In CA that is 55 MPH, OR is either 55 or 60 MPH, and WA is 60 MPH.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
After reading some of these comments and people who believe the laws aren't meant for them, "Speed Limits" in particular, I understand why there are so many accidents resulting in tragic deaths on our nations highways. :R

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Two comments:

1) Turn signals don't work if the hazards are going. I've thought this was stupid since well before I was legal to drive, and that was '73. There =should= be an override when the turn signal is activated.

2) When it comes to traffic, speed doesn't kill, speed DIFFERENCE kills. This is why CA is just so idiotic in having a 15 mph difference in speed limits set by law. These days, even with cheaper fuel, most drivers are still in "economy mode" to save fuel. I've made several trips to CA this year, and it was rare that we saw any semis doing > 65. There =were= a few, but only a few.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member