cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New rig in the driveway. Difficulty LVL 10 & generators

aviator41
Explorer
Explorer
Brought the Oakmont home last night - of course, I get the bring it home in the middle of a thunderstorm because I apparently needed a bigger challenge. Our driveway is quite sloped, so getting this stabbed in was a very big challenge.

On to the generator madness:

We took the opportunity to listen to an installed generator in another 5er while we were doing the walk-through and were shocked at how quiet it was. It was an Onan cummins 5L propane unit. After it was started and the outer panel closed, we could hard tell it was running.

So, the question is how loud is truly "too loud" when it comes to generators. I have no doubt that this question has been asked a million times, but searches didn't really bring much up on the topic that seemed worth reading. We would have loved to stuff a 6.5K Onan in this RV, but I just couldn't swallow the cost ($6500 installed) knowing that the generator would be dedicated to the RV and not really usable around the house as an emergency power source.

We have a large (and loud) generator that we can use for emergency power, but getting run out of a campground isn't our idea of fun so I'm not sure it's a good fit for the 5er. So I'm stuck. I can't drop $5k+ on a generator right now - it's just not in the budget.

Does anyone make an "off brand" generator that is worthy of consideration? I've seen Lifan, Aurora, DG and a couple of other cube-type generators that would at least get us 30 amp service but am I just going to end up with another LOUD generator? Our current generator runs about 82db standing next to it, and 75db at 25 feet.
Frankly, it's not that obnoxious to us as we use this generator to keep our home saltwater fish tanks going during severe weather where there is potential for power outages, but being good camping neighbors is something we are trying to be cognizant of.

I have to admit, this is the most frustrating part of the RV experience thus far.

The new rig goes for it's first shakeout run this weekend.
12 REPLIES 12

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
aviator41 wrote:
Yes, It's generator ready.

The hard work is done. Join the Heartland owners group website (https://www.heartlandowners.org/content.php) A member recently installed an Onan in his genny prepped RV. Complete with instructions and pictures.

Then you can shop for a generator at reduced prices or even used.

I wouldn't consider an external unit. Been there, done that(Yamaha EF4500ISE). PITA to load, unload, secure. Etc. If you put one in the bed of your TV and need to go shopping or sightseeing, you have to unload and secure, or turn off and haul with you.

Camping down south you know 1 AC won't cut it in the summer which leaves out the hand portable ones (2k or less paired). 2 3k paired is not exactly hand portable and there is fuel. The Yamaha I had would run 2 AC's but at 200+ lbs wasn't exactly portable.

Completely self-contained was on my list when we bought our current RV and it wasn't a wish list.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
It should not be hard to figurer out how in wire your house to the RV generator.
A lot of people do it.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

aviator41
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, It's generator ready.

Dumoldles
Explorer
Explorer
Is new rig set up for a generator? Many of the the new Heartlands have been prepped for a generator in the front left compartment.

Dumoldles

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
I just used my 6300w Yamaha to weld some 1/4" plate to my shipping container. All I could hear was the weld bead sizzle of the mig welder. Works great for my two air conditioners on the fifth wheel too.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
So you have a big loud one and want one for the RV. Why not sell the big loud one and get a big quiet one. Then you can use it around the house or with the RV. The Honda EU7000IS would be just the thing. You could use it around the house for tools or a power outage and save gas and noise doing it. Or, you could take it camping and be the envy of all your neighbors.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
aviator41 wrote:

Does anyone make an "off brand" generator that is worthy of consideration? I've seen Lifan, Aurora, DG and a couple of other cube-type generators that would at least get us 30 amp service but am I just going to end up with another LOUD generator? Our current generator runs about 82db standing next to it, and 75db at 25 feet.
Frankly, it's not that obnoxious to us as we use this generator to keep our home saltwater fish tanks going during severe weather where there is potential for power outages, but being good camping neighbors is something we are trying to be cognizant of.

Congrats on the new coach, looks like fun!

On regards of loudness for generators, loudness is a subjective term.

70-75 db is two people talking to each other, without shouting. Into the 80s is a busy residential street, 90-100 is bigger road, etc

I would not consider 82db to be a loud generator. A loud generator is 100+ db. BUT ... if you're in a National Forest campground where most of your neighbors are in tents, 70-80db is going to sound crazy loud. You'll hear it everywhere in the campground. That's because human hearing is adaptive. As the ambient noise level drops, our brain turns up the volume on everything else.

Running that same generator parked at a fairgrounds watching dirt track racing, you'll never hear your generator, you'll hear your neighbors running their open frame contractor generators at 115db

Running it parked at a Walmart, you won't hear it, nor at a truck stop.

Just from my experience... I have two Yamaha ef2000is, they have an eco (idle) mode that I almost never use... so their 58dB rating means nothing to me - who's going to run a generator just to let it idle? When I run my Yamaha I'm drawing a full load from them, 14 or 28 amps from them to recharge my big battery bank or run the A/C (i set the ac to not cycle, so it runs continuously). If I don't have a full load (rare), I'll kick on the eco mode or I turn the generator off. So that means they're running wide open, and the silly 58db rating goes out the door. Even full open they're pretty quiet, but still sound really loud in an otherwise silent venue like a NF CG.

Rethink your sound levels:

dBA Example Home & Yard Appliances Workshop & Construction
0 healthy hearing threshold
10 a pin dropping
20 rustling leaves
30 whisper
40 babbling brook computer
50 light traffic refrigerator
60 conversational speech air conditioner
70 shower dishwasher
75 toilet flushing vacuum cleaner
80 alarm clock garbage disposal
85 passing diesel truck snow blower
90 squeeze toy lawn mower arc welder
95 inside subway car food processor belt sander
100 motorcycle (riding) handheld drill
105 sporting event table saw
110 rock band jackhammer
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
rambotheshark wrote:
I use an Honda EU3000 and I am sure i would not be the first one to recommend it.

1. It it quiet enough to run at a campground if you lose power. I have ran mine with zero complaints in that situation.

2. It is quiet enough to run at truck stops, Flying J's, TA's, etc overnight if you are stopping along the way. Every thing else from big rigs to road traffic will drown out the generator noise. It also runs efficient enough to run the A/c for 7+ hours.

3. Con, an not really a big con, is that I have to keep it in the bed of the truck between the hitch and the cab. It is just a tad too tall for the 5th wheel to maneuver over when turning so you have to tuck it out of the way. (I also drive a Ford F-350 dually)

That's my thoughts.

I can say the same about my Yamaha 3000ISEB. Both are excellent choices.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
aviator41 wrote:

Congrats on the new coach, looks like fun!

On regards of loudness for generators, loudness is a subjective term.

70-75 db is two people talking to each other, without shouting. Into the 80s is a busy residential street, 90-100 is bigger road, etc

I would not consider 82db to be a loud generator. A loud generator is 100+ db. BUT ... if you're in a National Forest campground where most of your neighbors are in tents, 70-80db is going to sound crazy loud. You'll hear it everywhere in the campground. That's because human hearing is adaptive. As the ambient noise level drops, our brain turns up the volume on everything else.

Running that same generator parked at a fairgrounds watching dirt track racing, you'll never hear your generator, you'll hear your neighbors running their open frame contractor generators at 115db

Running it parked at a Walmart, you won't hear it, nor at a truck stop.

Just from my experience... I have two Yamaha ef2000is, they have an eco (idle) mode that I almost never use... so their 58dB rating means nothing to me - who's going to run a generator just to let it idle? When I run my Yamaha I'm drawing a full load from them, 14 or 28 amps from them to recharge my big battery bank or run the A/C (i set the ac to not cycle, so it runs continuously). If I don't have a full load (rare), I'll kick on the eco mode or I turn the generator off. So that means they're running wide open, and the silly 58db rating goes out the door. Even full open they're pretty quiet, but still sound really loud in an otherwise silent venue like a NF CG.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rambotheshark
Explorer
Explorer
I use an Honda EU3000 and I am sure i would not be the first one to recommend it.

1. It it quiet enough to run at a campground if you lose power. I have ran mine with zero complaints in that situation.

2. It is quiet enough to run at truck stops, Flying J's, TA's, etc overnight if you are stopping along the way. Every thing else from big rigs to road traffic will drown out the generator noise. It also runs efficient enough to run the A/c for 7+ hours.

3. Con, an not really a big con, is that I have to keep it in the bed of the truck between the hitch and the cab. It is just a tad too tall for the 5th wheel to maneuver over when turning so you have to tuck it out of the way. (I also drive a Ford F-350 dually)

That's my thoughts.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
One thing with generators, is that a lot of the noise you hear is actually =mechanical= noise that the engine produces, not just exhaust noise; the quietest ones are simply better engineered, from everything I've read. I know that if/when I am able to get my own genny, it will definitely be an inverter-style. This way, it only needs to run as fast as needed for the load demanded. Not only is it more quiet, but it's a =lot= more efficient. Don't know about you, but I don't really relish the idea of having to get up in the wee hours, or a storm, to refill the generator 'cause it only runs 3-4 hours. Yeah, yeah, there're extended-run kits, but that's a bit of a band-aid, IMO.

LYle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
aviator41 wrote:
Does anyone make an "off brand" generator that is worthy of consideration?
Only for the price.

aviator41 wrote:
Our current generator runs about 82db standing next to it, and 75db at 25 feet.
That's way too loud.

Can't go wrong with Yamaha or Honda, and sometimes Champion. The problem isn't always just the db, it's the kind of noise made by the knock-offs, which sounds like bolts in a barrel.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman