cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to toy haulers and need help

wpsharpshooter
Explorer
Explorer
New to the RV/Camper world and need some input from folks in the know. Im looking to get a toy hauler. One that will be able to accommodate 2 cruiser bikes. Also would prefer to have a front bedroom and the bed that drops down from the ceiling in the rear. Now Im not sure on any of the other offerings or standard features I should be looking at. We plan on using this occasionally on the weekends, not looking to necessarily live out of it for any real length of time. I would like to find the shortest one (lightest one) possible. Will be pulling it with a 2015 F150 4x4 with the 3.5 ecoboost. Not really sure on price range but for something that fits all our needs I would consider paying more. Ive looked everywhere that I can think of online to try and narrow things down but not much luck.. we have been looking at this one

http://www.cullummaxey.com/rv/2016-Winnebago-Spyder-24FQ-%28New%29

It does seem higher than some of the other ones we have looked at though.. Any tips or advice is welcomed..
20 REPLIES 20

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
wpsharpshooter wrote:
It would be 2 Harleys, combined weight of about 1500 lbs. Ford claims the truck will tow 11,500 lbs. Obviously I want to stay well below that.

11.5K behind a 1/2 ton. Incredible... Manufacturers really are doing everyone a disservice by claiming these kind of silly numbers.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Forest River Shockwave MX-T21FS (MX Series, Toy hauler, 21 feet, fuel station). The sticker claims a UVW of 49XXlbs, but it really weighs nearly 6k before water/bikes/food. I picked mine up as the last one on the lot in the summer/fall of 2010 and paid $18-19k.

Here is a link to the current model.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=181&Image=5075&ModelID=1060#Main
I see that it got heaver in the last 6 years. Gained more water capacity (mine is 53/40/40), front bed went from a full to a queen, toilet is spun around, and other little differences.

The floor plan is very similar to the link that you posted. Front bed (but mine is an east-west type so my head is on the left side of the trailer and my feet at the right side, and has only 1 closet. Kitchen is on the same side as in your link, bathroom is similar. I did see that the newer years from mine have moved the bathroom sink into the bathroom, where mine is outside the shower/toilet area and available to the whole trailer. My trailer has full length cabinets along both walls all the way to the ramp, so no rear drop down bunks. I do have a couch on each side that folds flat for another adult on each side, and the table(s) have removable post that set in to the floor for the couches.

I haul an assortment of dirt bikes, and my cruiser is a VTX1800T (barely over 8' length total, with factory saddle bags). I could fit a pair of them if it was necessary, but it would be a tight fit. For me, it would require one of them to be loaded backward and tied down with the front tire against the ramp, the 2nd one to be loaded facing forward and sitting in mid trailer, and the rears would need to be kicked sideways some to clear each other. A 23-24' would help with this a bunch; the kitchen would no longer be in the way, and both bikes could be faced rearward against the ramp and be parallel with each other. This would require a winch to drag them in backward.

I do not have a dove/beaver on my trailer, and have to be on a very unlevel spot or have the hind-end in the air to make the VTX grab at the breakover point; don't get me wrong, I've had that happen in a spot before.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

wpsharpshooter
Explorer
Explorer
It would be 2 Harleys, combined weight of about 1500 lbs. Ford claims the truck will tow 11,500 lbs. Obviously I want to stay well below that.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
New to the RV/Camper world and need some input from folks in the know. Im looking to get a toy hauler. One that will be able to accommodate 2 cruiser bikes. Also would prefer to have a front bedroom and the bed that drops down from the ceiling in the rear. Now Im not sure on any of the other offerings or standard features I should be looking at. We plan on using this occasionally on the weekends, not looking to necessarily live out of it for any real length of time. I would like to find the shortest one (lightest one) possible. Will be pulling it with a 2015 F150 4x4 with the 3.5 ecoboost. Not really sure on price range but for something that fits all our needs I would consider paying more. Ive looked everywhere that I can think of online to try and narrow things down but not much luck.. we have been looking at this one

Call me contrary wise but in your case you might look at upgrading your truck to a one ton, getting a cabover truck camper, and an enclosed cargo trailer for the toys.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I'll say it first. What are the specs for towing of your proposed TV, and then post them. Next what is the total weight of your motorcycles?

This will determine what or if your configuration is possible.

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say what type of motorcycles other that "Cruiser". One thing to consider is the entry angle into the garage. It appears the floor at the tailgate is flat (no beavertail) which makes the tailgate steeper and the transition to the trailer floor more acute which could cause the "Cruiser" to high-center when entering the coach. Just my $.02 worth. Good luck in this endeavor!
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side