cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to us rig. Tire questions.

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
We have purchased a new to us rig. Currently we are in Florida for the winter. Purchased rig in Ontario over the internet - long story. Dealer offered a great deal plus will warranty the rig for one year.

Tire question

We have negotiated new tires on the rig. Rig is a 2011 Bighorn 3070RL. Dry weight 11.090 Dry pin 2300. GVWR 14000 Figure pin weight to be 2800 t0 3000 if fully loaded. The rig has 6000 lb axles and Load E 16 inch tires. We thought we would upgrade to G rated tires. We know we need to check rims to be certain they can handle the psi.

Is it over kill to go to G rated tires?
We have heard great things about Sailun tires. Heartland puts them on all their new rigs. I have heard them referred to as an LT/ST tire whatever that means.

If we upgrade to G tires does it matter that the sticker on the rig won't match? Will we be legal? Does it affect insurance?

I understand that it is illegal to run LT tires on a rig in Ontario. Again sticker won't match.

Also heard G rated tires run rough if over inflated for the load.

What tires should we have put on this rig?

Also we are looking for a new truck. 3500 SRW or dually? Can't decide.

Thanks for your help.
Liz
29 REPLIES 29

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
No Dually required if you have one of the newer SRW ,my new 2015 gmc 3500 has a sticker payload of over 3800 lbs, Rear axel capacity of 7050 lbs,handles our 14700 gvwr fiver easily.

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
A fifth wheel with a dry weight of 11.090 and a dry pin weight of 2300 maxes out the capability of a single rear wheel truck. I would suggest you go to a 1 ton dually truck.

You could certainly go to G rated tires, however it's probably not needed. Yes, the Sailun tires are good, but you'll have to look far and hard to find a dealer if you need a replacement tire.
You'd just as well to go a high quality LT/E tire like the Bridgestone Duravis R250 ribbed tire, the Michelin XPS ribbed tire or even the G614 Goodyear tire.
If you go to such a tire, don't worry about stickers or insurance. You'll be perfectly within weight limitations.
If you have a question about legalities and LT/E tires, you should contact the authorities in Ontario for the answer.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the Hauler about the trucks.

My Titanium has a GVWR of 13,800 and loaded for a six week tour it runs about 13,200 or 13,300 (CAT Scales).

The 3500 diesel SRW has pulled it without sway, buffet, or problem through everything from Portland Maine to Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Canada and back to Orlando. (Not all one trip! I just re-read
that sentence.)

My choice is the crew cab (the dog needs his own seat in back) long bed. The extended wheel base makes a big difference in ride comfort. That said, I need at least three oncoming lanes to make a U-turn (solo; no trailer) and it is a BEAR in some parking lots. Two pull through spaces to get it parked without the tail end blocking a lane.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
"only 75"....wow, I can't imagine towing at 75+ mph.

You do not have to tow at that speed any more than someone with a LT has to tow at 100. BTW Maxxix ST tires are rated for 65 as another poster provided. It was the Carlile st tires that had a 87mph rating Link Carlile tire post

I do occasionally get up to 75 or even 80 passing some of the 55 mph drivers. I regularly tow at 70 pulling doubles, you of course should pull at the speed you feel comfortable with.

Speed limits where I tow only go to 70 mph, most are 65, and on some interstates I've towed on, even 55-60.....This is in WV, TN, NC, SC and VA where I tow...so I'm DEFINITELY not going to run 75-80 mph and chance getting a speeding ticket and running 65 mph, I get better mpg and it's much safer at 65 mph if I had to make an emergency maneuver or come to a sudden stop....much more control than at 75-80 mph....I tow at speeds that are dictated by state law...not what I feel comfortable at, though both, in my case go hand in hand.

Don't need a Carlisle ST tire that is rated at 87 mpg because I'll never need to tow at near 90 mph....You tow at the speeds you're bragging about in the states I mentioned, odds are you'll be pulled over for speeding...but I am talking towing in mountainous, curvy roads, even on the interstates.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
NMDriver wrote:

You do not have to tow at that speed any more than someone with a LT has to tow at 100. BTW Maxxix ST tires are rated for 65 as another poster provided. It was the Carlile st tires that had a 87mph rating Link Carlile tire post

I do occasionally get up to 75 or even 80 passing some of the 55 mph drivers. I regularly tow at 70 pulling doubles, you of course should pull at the speed you feel comfortable with.

Carlisle plays games with speed ratings for the bass boat guys. All ST tires carry a 65 MPH speed rating by design to get the higher load rating. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer

5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelin XPS Ribs or Bridgestone Duravis R250's. Go enjoy it for 6-8 years without worrying about tires. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
LT (light truck) tires will generally have a higher speed rating (100 mph or more) than ST (special trailer) tires. Someone posted the speed rating for Maxxis ST tires here recently and if I remember right the highest speed rating was only 75 mph. Maybe someone else will have an exact figure for the tires you want.

Maybe overkill but I prefer a higher rather than a just right load range.

SRW with the right cargo capacity would be my preference--I should add it is just a cosmetic thing for me-I hate the looks of a dually pickup although I prefer a dually flat bed with short stake sides--No practical excuse for my taste.

"only 75":E....wow, I can't imagine towing at 75+ mph....gotta kill mpg and it's going to take some quick reflexes and one heck of a truck and trailer if one has to make an emergency maneuver or sudden stop running 75 + mph.....

I think some forget that when towing, approx. 20% of the 5er's weight is going to be carried by the tow vehicle...I had a Coachmen 3 slide 5er with a GVW of 14,000# , loaded to 13,500# with a pin weight of 2800#....that meant that 10,700# of weight was setting on my two 6,000# axles that had Michelin XPS RIBS rated for 3042# each times 4, meant they could handle 12168#...covering the axle weight and covering easily covering the actual 10,700# that was setting on the the two 6,000# axles.

Yeah, G rated tires would be overkill....if one doesn't want to spend the cash on the more expensive "E" rated RIBS, they could also opt for the Duravis R250's......also "E" rated.

Really no need for a tire that can handle 3750# each @ 110 psi...that's what I'm running on my 5er that has a GVWR of 16,950# with 7,000# rated axles...

For no more than the 5er you are purchasing weighs, you should be able to tow it with a 3500 SRW truck, pick a brand.....Having towed the same 5er through the mountains with a SRW truck and a Dually, I prefer the dually for stability...but again, for only 14,000# GVW, you should be able to tow that easily with a 3500 SRW truck

I personally LOVE the looks of the dually and the stability it offers on mountainous, curvy secondary roads is a major plus..but not necessarily needed for a 5er with GVW of only 14,000#.....also again, E rated tires will work just fine.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Not only do tires run rough if over inflated they will run hot if over or under inflated and the heat will damage the tires. Follow the directions,look at the sidewall for the correct PSI.
HR

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tires do not have to MATCH the sticker. They have to be equal or better.

The rule (not law) is the same for DOT and Transport Canada.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to put in my .02 on the truck question.

First, if you do a Search, you will find that the dually/SRW question has been discussed a lot here. The SRW folks will say you don't need a dually and the dually folks will say you really do need a dually.

I fulltime now and pull my 2014 14,000 pound GVWR Bighorn with a 2013 F350 diesel CC LB 4x4 dually. It pulls like a dream. I pulled about 7,000 miles last year and never once did I feel any kind of wobble due to being passed by a semi, or crosswinds, etc. The stability of a dually is incredible. It really is effortless towing. Having said that, a longbed dually is no fun maneuvering in a Target or Walmart parking lot. I don't even try anymore - just park out in the far reaches of the parking lot and take up 2 spaces.

What would I do if I had to do it all over again ? That's an easy question - I would buy another dually. This is what almost all folks say after they start pulling with a dually. It just makes life real easy. In fact I never want to get out of the cab.

I obviously recommend the dually option. I suggest that you crunch the weight numbers. I believe an SRW truck might have the TOWING capacity but the question is - does it have the LOAD capacity. Figure 3000 pounds for pin weight, 200 pounds for a hitch, then add in passenger weight and anything else you carry. That's the magic number. Then compare that to the sticker on the door jamb of the truck - and remember that you do want some extra capacity.

I also have an auxiliary tool box/fuel tank with 40 gallons of fuel (which I highly recommend that you consider adding). So that's another 400 pounds.

I think that when you add it all up, a dually will be the better option.

* And FWIW, I put Maxxis tires on my rig after the original Tow Max tires started blowing out. I have also heard good things about Sailun tires too.

Feel freed to PM me if you have questions about what I wrote.

** The speed rating for an ST tire is 65 mph.

*** And just to be clear - not all ST tires are made in China. Maxxis tires are made in Thailand.

Tim

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
LT (light truck) tires will generally have a higher speed rating (100 mph or more) than ST (special trailer) tires. Someone posted the speed rating for Maxxis ST tires here recently and if I remember right the highest speed rating was only 75 mph. Maybe someone else will have an exact figure for the tires you want.

Maybe overkill but I prefer a higher rather than a just right load range.

SRW with the right cargo capacity would be my preference--I should add it is just a cosmetic thing for me-I hate the looks of a dually pickup although I prefer a dually flat bed with short stake sides--No practical excuse for my taste.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any tire with a load rating higher than 3042 is overlilk. And any decent LT tire will have that load rating. So,,,, stay away from ST (China bombs) and you will be fine.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Which tire to use is subjective as there are dozens of opinions.
Michelin XPS are viable option, as are the Sailun LT tires. I went with Maxxis ST tires, but they work well in my situation.
I'll offer two suggestions.
1) Stay away from China ST tires
2) Whatever tire you go with, be sure to have them balanced.
As for tires on your TV, I have Michelin LTX 10 ply rated on mine. No problems and wears well.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
For that weight G rated tires are more than you need. Overkill is subjective.

The Sailun tires get good reviews. I have a similar size/weight 5er I put Michelin XPS Ribs on. 6years and 16,000 miles later and never a low tire, no weather checking, ride great, and still look virtually new. They will age out before they wear out.

SRW is fine for that trailer. My SRW tows mine great.