cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newb?: Ford F-250

lucasland
Explorer
Explorer
Is a Ford F-250 a good truck to tow a 5th wheel? What length of trailer would be ideal?
"Tell all your friends about me, especially the pretty ones" - Ed
19 REPLIES 19

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2011 f250. Didn't have enough springs. Had to put air bags under the rear. Knowing I was way overweight I bought F350 drw. No comparison. F250 had plenty of power. One thing you need is towing package as well as camper package. I learned this the hard way.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
There is nothing wrong with an F250 pulling a fifth wheel. You'll want to stay with the smaller and lighter units, but there are plenty of those out there. Stay under 10 or maybe 11k gross weight rating, and an F250 is a fine choice.

I agree that an F350 is better if you get the chance to buy one. But you'll find about 10 F250s on the lots for every F350. Also, it is very easy to turn an F250 into an F350.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Had an 05 F250 PSD (POS) supercab and towed a 10k lb (loaded), 29 foot fiver for almost 12 years without issue. It had a 2736 lb payload capacity and the trailer took me to within 50 lbs of it, however I was under by 650lbs on my RAWR.

Ford had rated the truck to have a ~16k lb 5th wheel towing capacity which is an impossible feat. The best I could have done was ~13k lbs to remain under my RAWR.

I made the mistake and believed Ford's tow rating so I opted for the F250. While it really never mattered, I would have gone with the F350 knowing what I know now.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can have all the transmission, brakes, and radiator in the world, but if you don't have sufficient payload for the pin weight, you are dead in the water (or in the driveway, as the case may be).

Payload! Payload! Payload!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Not the best. What year and what engine? 3/4 ton trucks have serious problems with payload capacity. If you are buying get a F350 and be happy.

That is a pretty broad statement !

The biggest problem, especially if purchasing used, is determining what payload package was in installed at the factory. Also you need to know if the HD trailer tow option was installed, because typically includes a heavy duty radiator and a HD transmission cooler, plus the appropriate wiring for electric trailer brakes.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A F250 with the camper package will have the F350 extra single helper spring plus rear sway bar, but the door post numbers will not change.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
I concur with going for a F-350. As for the '06 model 6.0 L, I have not had a bit of problems with mine, have over 200,000 mi. still going strong. We are pulling a 38' Montana. Other than minor problems and routine maintenance, its a great truck.
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also there was a huge boost in capability for the Ford 2011.5 model diesels and newer. The Dodges came in a couple years later with their new models.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
I have always towed with an F-350 SRW 4x4 CC. The one ton F-350 gives you more options with regards to pin weight. I'm no expert on this, but I have never had any problems towing large big rig fifth wheels. Diesel is the way to go IMO.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
lucasland wrote:
Check out this ad . What you think of this truck ? https://hartford.craigslist.org/ctd/6042554211.html

That appears to be a good truck for the money. However many of the 6.0 diesels were problematic, with costly repairs. Not all 6.0 owners had a bad experience, but certainly a buyer beware!!

A 350 is a better FW tow vehicle, depending on FW weight. While looking for used, don't pass on a nice 250. It is the same basic truck as 350 SRW, with a lower class GVWR. Often times a 250 will have the same tires/wheels as the 350 SRW, in some cases the same suspension. Unless you are planning on a FW that requires a DRW, a really nice used F250 is still an option, and easier to find in the used market. If a Ford diesel is what you are looking for, I'd start with a 2011...up.

Jerry

lucasland
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in New England . Wouldn't be surprised if most used trucks were used to plow snow
"Tell all your friends about me, especially the pretty ones" - Ed

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
lucasland wrote:
Check out this ad . What you think of this truck ? https://hartford.craigslist.org/ctd/6042554211.html

Well if a diesel newbe as well, steer clear of the Ford 6.0 or 6.4 diesels, they have a less than reliable reputation. Good that it was a one ton. It was also a plow truck, not something I would choose.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
It all depends on what size fifth wheel. Take the pin weight of the fully load 5er (GVWR x 0.20) + the weight of the family and everything else you throw in the truck (firewood, tool box, dog, toys, etc.) and the total should be less then or equal to the "payload" of the truck (the number on the yellow sticker on the door).

It works exactly the same way for a TT, except with a TT it's tongue weight, and approx. tongue weight is determined by taking 12 percent (GVWR x 0.12) instead.

Length is really not an issue, except to say that longer is heavier.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I concur to go 1 ton but to answer your question, you'll need to find a 5er that is less than 30' and approx. 10,000 lbs loaded. That means lighter models. 3/4 has way more options with bumper pull TT.

It's not tow rating, it's pin weight against your cargo capacity/RAWR.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)