cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newby Questions

TCRLS
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. We are shopping for our first 5th wheel.

We have been looking at 30' to 35' trailers. Some people have told us that anything over 25' to 27' will really restrict us to certain campgrounds. We want creature comforts but we also want the freedom to just travel around and get the odd campsite without having to book a month in advance.

My question is what length trailer are you all pulling and do you agree that we will be restricted with a 30' + trailer? Most of what we do is in SK, AB and BC. We are also planning at least one trip up the Alaska Highway.

Thanks
T
13 REPLIES 13

TCRLS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Onespeed.

T

Onespeed405
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 32 ' fifth wheel pulled by a long box Chev 3500.

We live in Calgary and do the majority of our RV'ing in Alberta & BC. BC mostly in provincial parks, but the older we get (kids are grown) the more we gravitate to full service private campgrounds. They are often pull through sites or at least large, simple simple simple.

We have never been interested in ad hoc RV'ing and found the key to an enjoyable vacation is planning. We don't like surprises.

We have not experienced any access problems. But some smaller campgrounds do have a few scratchy trees.
2005 Chev 3500 Duramax/Allison Ext Cab SRW 4x4 Long Box
Blue Ox Bedsaver, Hawkshead TPMS, Rear View Camera System
2007 Citation Supreme 31CKDS
220 W solar, 2800 W Magnasine pure sinewave inverter/charger/battery monitor, 4x6 volt deep cycle, Rotochoks

TCRLS
Explorer
Explorer
Great replies. Thanks folks.

T

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a 32' 5er and have an issues from time to time in older SP, but overall not an issue.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a 17', 20', 22', and 32' travel trailers, and our current - a 35' 5" (to be precise) fifth wheel. What we have found is that FS CG's are the most challenging but they were for our travel trailers, and it isn't always the site, but the road and the room to back in. With our FW, we find plenty of FS CG's, private, and state to fit. It's just a matter of driving through and checking them or planning ahead. Sometimes we see a site in a FS CG that looks small and the host tells us we'll fit and sure enough we do! But even in the wide open space of boondocking, we have to find a spot to fit, but that would be the same for our smaller TT's, depending on the area. All in all, when it comes down to it, we love the room and amenities of our FW so much, it's worth planning ahead.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
I think the first thing you need to worry about is making sure the unit you get (be it a TT or 5er or whatever) is something that you like and your're comfortable with. Within reason, the overall size shouldn't be holding you back. I've seen monster 5ers in every state park we've visited. If you get a particular unit and the park staff tells you it's too big (or on the fringes), then there's likely another park right down the road that can accomodate you.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Our 25 footer has some limitations on where we can go. In general, the further out from society you want to get, the smaller rig you need.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Private Rv parks are usually no problem. I find the state parks in the US to be the worst for FWs, and Canada is likely the same. It is not so much the camp site length, but more the roof and side clearance.

When people say they have no problem, that depends a lot on the persons comfort with dragging tree branches over the top, and down the sides.

I was at a SP a week ago, where I felt limited. I am only 12' 4"s tall, at my highest point, and 31' long. I noticed at least 3 newer FWs, my size or bigger, that were using roadways in this SP, that I was dodging limbs, just driving my 4x4 truck down.

If you don't mind some scratches on the sides, and some roof damage once in a while, you can get into places I won't go.

Jerry

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
We moved up to a 36' 5er from a 29 ' TT. We are much more limited now in finding sites we fit in. We do a lot of state park camping in Ohio. Length isn't the biggest issue though. It's having three slides and an awning, that takes up lots of room around our trailer. But also, the 12'11" height of the trailer. Trees may be away enough for slides, but hang too low to clear everything on the roof. We like shady sites, but find we usually end up in open sites to clear trees.

So, the bigger you go, the more restrictions you will have. These people that have 40'+ trailers and say they can get in any campground, really aren't trying to get in all campgrounds, because with just 36', we have had issues.

Mark
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
TCRLS wrote:
Hello all. We are shopping for our first 5th wheel.

We have been looking at 30' to 35' trailers. Some people have told us that anything over 25' to 27' will really restrict us to certain campgrounds. We want creature comforts but we also want the freedom to just travel around and get the odd campsite without having to book a month in advance.

My question is what length trailer are you all pulling and do you agree that we will be restricted with a 30' + trailer? Most of what we do is in SK, AB and BC. We are also planning at least one trip up the Alaska Highway.

Thanks
T

If most of your camping will be in Canada, you might want to ask the moderator to move your post to the RVing in Canada and Alaska section. The answers you will get in the section your post is currently in will likely be based upon campgrounds in the US which will generally be larger.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you looking at actual campgrounds or RV parks? If RV parks, then it shouldn't be a problem.

If actual campgrounds, then you have to look at the types you will want to visit. In California, you may find some places won't accommodate the larger size RVs. Some state parks will have limits of 27' or less; some national forests will have limits even shorter (often it's due to the road coming into the campground versus the pad size of the campsites). You will need to look at the areas you think you'll want to visit and then determine if the options for 30' are enough for you or not.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
There are some bc and Alta provincial parks where over 30 is a problem. Not a lot but some. Usually older parks. Best to call ahead.

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 40' fifth wheel and I have only found a few state parks and national parka that could not accommodate me. I suggest that you research the campgrounds you usually stay in and see what their restrictions are. I don't recall any campgrounds that don't accommodate 30' trailers.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus