cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Noisy Slide - Sounds like Crypt Being Opened

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS and the slide is really noisy. It screeches and squeals both on the in and the out cycles. The local Fox Mountain dealer (Cordelia RV) refuses to service it as we purchased it out of area. The main office says it will pay to have it serviced else where but the only other local dealer is CW and they are booked up. Our warranty expires in March so we have to take action soon.

1. How serious is this from a mechanical point of view? Are we having a motor/gear/rail failure?

2. Has anyone quieted a noisy slide, and if so, how and with what?

I have tried spraying silicone and molylube (molybdenum di-sulfide) on the tracks but with little to no success. Suggestions welcomed.

Regards
Bill (and Carole)
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."
21 REPLIES 21

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Phone call: Yeah, this is Joe. I need to know who is going to sign for this camper when I return it. Your dealers have breached the contract by refusing to honor the warranty, so I will bring it back and expect a full refund when I arrive. Where would you like it parked?

๐Ÿ™‚

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jerseyjim wrote:
FWIW, my slide makes noise, but it comes from the gasket surrounding the slideout. Periodic silicone spray on the gasket does it for me.

If really mechanical, have it fixed before warranty expires. Last resort: take it to the "out of area" dealer you bought it from.

Sometimes, saving a few hundred bucks for a dealer far way ain't such a deal. However, your local dealer refusing to take on a warranty job, is, IMO simply BS. Punishing you for not buying there.

This was my thought, also. I'd be contacting Northwoods and raising holy hell over it, if it's a flat refusal. Putting you to the back of the line is bad enough. One of my pet peeves about the industry and one that if a couple of mfrs allied together to change would make a =lot= of happy(ier) customers, IMO.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
More than likely it's the slide seals. They'll squirt them and say have a good day.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take it back to where you bought it.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, my slide makes noise, but it comes from the gasket surrounding the slideout. Periodic silicone spray on the gasket does it for me.

If really mechanical, have it fixed before warranty expires. Last resort: take it to the "out of area" dealer you bought it from.

Sometimes, saving a few hundred bucks for a dealer far way ain't such a deal. However, your local dealer refusing to take on a warranty job, is, IMO simply BS. Punishing you for not buying there.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd absolutely make sure the builder and the dealer are aware of the issue before the warranty expires. Screeching and squealing on a new rig doesn't sound good to me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Have you owned other RVs with slides and this one is noticeably different/louder? Has it always been this loud and something changed?

I can tell you the slides on every RV I've ever owned scare the hell out of me regularly. They screech, squeal and flex when moving in/out and every time I extend or retract one I'm sure something is going to break... but after 15+ years and 3 different RVs nothing has ever failed me.

I always try to envision driving home from dry camping down a narrow logging road with my slide extended and broken ๐Ÿ™‚