Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Now what? My latest TV is too tall....

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Everyone,

I made a trip across the state to pick up my little 5er. It has been parked for a while and we have been using it as "guest quarters" for the last year.

It donned on me as we got on the road that I have never pulled that 5er with this particular TV.

It doesn't fit......

My first though was "No problem, we can flip the axles".... Allready flipped.

I know that if I jack the front up enough that I MAY be able to hook up. If I am REALLY lucky that I may gain enough clearance that I won't punch holes in my 5er with my pickup bed. Can I safely and comfortably tow at that far out of level?

Suggestions as to how to safely raise the trailer?

Thanks.

S.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
25 REPLIES 25

babun
Explorer
Explorer
Try calling these guys..... you may have to get a version of this type of hitch to hook into a receiver hitch.

collins dollies.com

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Axle and trailer makers don't offer suspension blocks as OEM or as a option.

The safest way to raise a trailer is with a sub frame method (a riser) made from rectangular steel tubing added between the main frame rails and the suspension.
Having seen the results of suspension block damage and aftermath on two different road trailers I wouldn't recommend anyone adding blocks over say 1" thick to a trailer.

One member contacted Dexter and had this to say; (see Spyksman reply)
clicky
**I talked to a dexter tec today and he advised aginst using the taller equalizers he said that it would throw the alinment out. His sugestion was to use a sub frame or get longer hangers. I did not like that idea because of the thin frame he agreed and again sugested the sub frame. His name is Mark Pray a very nice person to talk to and was very knowledgeable of the product. I got his name from a local dexter axel and trailer parts supply house. I know that I will be doing a new sub frame. I my self am upgrading to a 16"wheel and on mr laredo trailer there would not be enough clearance on the top as well as the rod that ties the front and rear slide control together. Hope this helps. I am planing on a 3" lift and this will also give me more bed clearance.**
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Lifted trucks don't play nice with 5th wheels.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the pickup bed off (it only takes 8 bolts to remove it) and hook up to the trailer with no bed, just the hitch, lowered to it's lowest setting.

If that works, replace the pickup bed with a flatbed. ๐Ÿ™‚
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
mountainsam wrote:
Looks to me like you need to call a friend with a lower truck.

Unfortunately my friends are all underprivileged.... They all drive cars...

Seriously, I have moved trailers for a number of friends who own 5er's or bumper pulls and don't own a pickup...

Seriously, I am looking at this and wondering if I want to mod the trailer, sell the trailer or sell the truck....

I sat in the truck and thought "I need to sell the trailer"...

Now I am sitting in the trailer and wondering if I should sell the truck instead...

This is an old, ugly trailer but it suits me.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Looks to me like you need to call a friend with a lower truck.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
You could replace the tailgate cables with chains and cut a hole in the tailgate for the 5er's pin... do not turn too sharp.

I would put a goose-neck adapter on the 5er and use a solid 2' receiver to move the ball back enough so the trailer does not hit your PU.

Not sure that I understand fully.

I take the tailgate off when I tow.

The clearance problem is not fore & aft it is bed rail height.

My best understanding is that I want the pin centered over the TV axle.

I do understand the blocks to raise the trailer. How high do you all think that I could safely go?

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

S.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can lower the equalizer bar between the two axles but that's not going to raise it enough. Make 6-8" blocks and longer U bolts to lower the axles even more is about your only option.

I guess you do not want to get rid of the 22.5 Alcoa's and take the blocks out of your rear axle. You could replace the tailgate cables with chains and cut a hole in the tailgate for the 5er's pin... do not turn too sharp.

I would put a goose-neck adapter on the 5er and use a solid 2' receiver to move the ball back enough so the trailer does not hit your PU.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the pin weight of your trailer vs the vertical load capacity of your receiver hitch?

Could you rig a gooseneck ball converter coupler to hitch up via the receiver?

Otherwise riser blocks between the axles and spring perches to lift the trailer body are in order...

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river! It looks as though the TV is lifted? I would look at my options with the TV first before trying to lift the trailer more!

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer