cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Odd Onan issue

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Onan 5500 that has always started easily and run fine. Has about 240 hrs. I have a guy doing some inside work today so I showed him how to start it and turn the heat on as it was cold. He called me and said the generator would only run for about 2 mins then stop. Never had this issue before, so I went over and started it, turned on an electric space heater and let it run about 30 mins. Ran fine. Thinking he was nuts, I unplugged the heater, getting ready to shut it down and the generator quit shortly after the load was removed. Gas tank full with good gas treated with Seafoam. Oil level good. Serviced not to long ago. Anyone have any thoughts?
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71
39 REPLIES 39

offtohavasu
Explorer
Explorer
With that many hours, I'm guessing a governor adjustment. If it was fine with a load, and quit as soon as the load was removed, I'm guessing the generator saw something it didn't like and shut down.

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
fly-boy wrote:
My money is on the carb- I suggest you buy a new carb and just switch it out- the carb is not that expensive and it is really easy to replace. You could try cleaning it but I have had mixed results-

The fact the gennie is running under a load with no problem almost guarantees you it is the carb- there is a 0.9% chance it is something else. ๐Ÿ™‚

I like those odds. LOL. Do you have a source for the inexpensive carb?
Brian

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
My money is on the carb- I suggest you buy a new carb and just switch it out- the carb is not that expensive and it is really easy to replace. You could try cleaning it but I have had mixed results-

The fact the gennie is running under a load with no problem almost guarantees you it is the carb- there is a 0.9% chance it is something else. ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
So the three things that maker her run~ fuel,air & spark I'd say from what you have described it's fuel it lacking.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
Lawdawg21 wrote:
Check batteries also

New battery 2 weeks ago. How would the battery cause these symptoms?
Brian

Lawdawg21
Explorer
Explorer
Check batteries also

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
I will check the filter (both) and swap in the bypass for the second one when it gets a little warmer, but I don't see how putting a load on it would keep it running. Odd.
Brian

lumpy790
Explorer
Explorer
I had a intermittent fuel pump problem that I finally replaced and it has run fine ever since
Tow vehicle E450 Moto Hose Box Van
06 Victory Lane TH
YZ250 Smoker Supermoto
YZ450F
86 TY250 trials bike

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
Gas tank vent?
Fuel filter?
Gary

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Could it be your both nuts? :B

Sorry, I don't have anything constructive to add.