cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Tire Problem!

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, I replaced my fiver's spare tire with a new Towmaster tire. A few months later, I was at home and heard a loud noise outside. I checked around, and the spare tire had completely ruptured, blew off the tread and split the sidewall. It is a load range "E" tire and I had it inflated to 70psi. It was covered with a white tire cover. I attributed it to just a "bad" tire, even though the temp here in Arizona was about 105 at the time. There was no evidence of sun damage anywhere on the tire. It was replaced under warranty by Discount Tire. It had never been on the ground.

Yesterday, the exact same thing happened again! This tire had a Date Code of 2011 (week 24). Exact same kind of rupture. Now, Discount is telling me to bring the rig in and have all the tires replaced (at no charge). Has anyone ever had a blow out on an unused spare tire that was inflated correctly and protected from sun damage? Especially when it had never been in use.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
32 REPLIES 32

Reelay
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Well, I finally had all five tires changed out. In addition to the blown spare, three of the other tires had separated steel belts and were ready to fail. The Carlisle tires are on the rig and I'm heading out tomorrow. I'll see how they do. All the research I've been doing says that there isn't a really good tire out there.

Don't forget to recheck torque after a couple hundred miles. I lost a tire and wheel after new tires were replaced. Over torqueing can be just as bad as under torque.
2003 Sandpiper 32 ft., 2006 Dodge dually Big Horn, 4X4, Cummins H.O., 6 speed, jake exhaust brake, Edge Tuner , turbo timer, AFE stage II intake, S.B. clutch, Toyo Open Country Tuff Duty tires, KF7/AQD-SAR139

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
TucsonJim wrote:
Well, I finally had all five tires changed out. In addition to the blown spare, three of the other tires had separated steel belts and were ready to fail. The Carlisle tires are on the rig and I'm heading out tomorrow. I'll see how they do. All the research I've been doing says that there isn't a really good tire out there.

All I can say is good luck to you. I would have made a very different decision since I do believe their are good tire alternatives out there that experience has shown have a much better track record than Carlisle's.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW --- Carlisle has a tire labeled "Carlisle USA" that is "supposed"to be made in amaerica --- I'm SURE I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. I've had them on my boat trailer for 3 years with no problems.. That being said -- I agree that a heavier rated tire "E" or "G" rated would be better --
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Jim and Barb wrote:
Please buy American
Why? I got a bit of a rub with that. Why would I buy American out of Loyalty, when the very company I might be buying from has no loyalty to Americans. For Example, why would I go out of my way to buy a Goodyear tire, when Goodyear themselves outsourced the tire to China?

I'll buy whatever works.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

Jim_and_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Please buy American

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TucsonJim wrote:
The fifth wheel is a 28 foot Keystone Cougar. The original tires were 225-75R15, Load Range D. All four of them were bad when I got it home, and Keystone agreed to replace them all, including the spare. Discount tire sold me the Tow Master tires in load range E. The first set disintegrated due to weather in about 18 months. They were replaced with the same type. The ones on the ground appear to be okay, but the spare has "rapidly decompressed" two times now.

Every 30 days, I check the pressure in the tires and make sure it's maintained at 70-75 psi. I wipe them down with 303 Aerospace, and keep them covered from direct exposure to the sun.

So now, it appears that Discount is going to replace them with some alternate Chinese tires called "Carlisle".

I already know you're getting flak about the Carlisle's, but I ended up with a set of them on my FW as I couldn't wait for a set of Maxxis to be delivered. Discount told me that they are R speed rated (106 mph), so I figure that they should be able to handle my ususual 60-65 mph OK. I've since talked to several guys at 3 different Discount locations and asked if they were running these, and many of the guys have said they are. We'll see... So far, they've been trouble-free (touch wood).

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Just hard to believe that we spend so much money for a rv. When I buy a new unit I quickly look at tires and if Chinese built or any cheap john unit I go find quality and change them out. Ive known of trailers that blew a tire and it cost up to 5000.00 to repair. My Cameo came with Duro. I ask the Colorado dealer if they were any good. Naturally said they were. When I got back to Texas I had Michelin LTs installed. Should have checked rvnet before signing on the dotted line. Check rvnet. Weve had a lot of tire experience among all of us!
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
It surprises me that none of you has called the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about this. If these tires are doing that, what kind of danger are they putting, you, your family, the others on the road, and even someone standing by the side of a road? Heard a lot of stories about (BL)Tow Masters. I think that it is time that the federal government does its job for a change.
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
The spare does have a Southern exposure most of the time. However, it is covered by a white cover. Also, there was no small cracks that you normally see with sun damage. Just a catastrophic separation.

with that being the case, the spare tire will be subject to higher temps which over time can produce a cumulative deterioration .... not as much as if it didn't have a cover but more nonetheless .... over the years we've had all to many tire failures with tires that looked perfect on the outside but which apparently had dry rot related issues inside .... about 10 years ago I started using KTB Liquid Tire Balancer and I'm convinced that it does help in reducing such problems .... we travel about 6 months each year, two trips each of which averages 4,000 - 5,000 miles .... our daughter uses her camper 8 - 10 times a year on short distance, weekend outings with a camping club .... a couple of months ago we replace the 5 year old G614's on our camper and the 5 year old Marathons on her campers .... this is the second set of G614's we've used the KTB fluid and so far, when the tires were removed and examined they showed no interior deterioration .... the same was true for the Marathons .... my connection with KTB is that I buy and use their product and I do so because I'm convinced it performs as advertised .... it should be noted, I do not use their puncture sealer .... I have no clue if using it could/would have helped with your issue but can see how it might

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
fivecodys wrote:

In another year or so I will have hit the "4-year you should buy new tires" mark.

I hate to replace these prematurely.

What are your thoughts?

Bill

Spin-Pull, Spin-Pull, Spin-Pull! Each year you load another chamber! At some unknown time there are no longer any empty ones, and when the hammer drops.......

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
The picture above may look a little to much like his latest tire failure that he blamed on a road hazard.

Well, I did have to roll it over my sidewalk on to the gravel to get it next to the wall. Perhaps that was the cause :W
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
The ones on the ground appear to be okay, but the spare has "rapidly decompressed" two times now.

is the camper parked so that the spare is exposed to more direct sunlight than the tires on the ground

Jim

The spare does have a Southern exposure most of the time. However, it is covered by a white cover. Also, there was no small cracks that you normally see with sun damage. Just a catastrophic separation.