cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ohio Turnpike cheats 5'ers

BC_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I just discovered that the Ohio Turnpike charges a higher toll for a pickup truck towing a fifth wheel trailer than for a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. From one side of the state to the other the toll is $42.25 vs $35.75. Yes, both are too high. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else noticed this?

The higher toll is not because of length or weight. I'm calling the Turnpike Commission of Monday to see who I can b*tch at.
42 REPLIES 42

BC_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
It not the height of the trailer, it is the height over the 2nd axle (the rear axle of the tow vehicle).

Yep, that's the difference between a travel trailer (class 3) and a fifth wheel trailer (class 4). About 2 inches worth of front cap. That makes us the same toll as a 40' (no tag axle) motorhome with a toad. I think we're a little lighter!

I'd still like to know if that was intentional. Not like the turnpike people will ever tell me. No OH turnpike for us again.

By contrast the toll on the WV turnpike is $2 for car and $2.50 for truck + trailer. That I can live with. I wonder how long before they "fix" that!

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Because of the tolls and other anti RV laws in Ohio I make it a point to travel through OHIO without stopping for even a cup of coffee. I make sure to fill up on gas just before the Ohio line and after I leave the state, my protest to the discrimination RV's receive in OHIO.
I have kept track and DW and I have successfully diverted close to $100,000 away from businesses in Ohio.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone that does travel the toll roads that use the EZPass system - sign up for a transponder from the state of Massachusetts. It saves you money on the tolls and is completely free. You don't have to be a resident of the state or even travel there.
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
BC Jim wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Call me lazy, But I don't have the time or effort to spend on the phone with some poor person that just works there probably can't approve a refund anyway.
I do understand your point, but I could not put myself through the hassle for $6.25

That's what's fun about being retired! I have time. It's the principal of the thing. If you don't complain, things will never change. And ask for the supervisor.

Feel free to complain but I don't think toll roads are going away
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Durb wrote:
Man, I sure hope toll roads never make it to the Northwest. I know our gas taxes are high to compensate but the thought of being nicked whenever I leave the house really bothers me. I guess ignorance is bliss. We do have some toll bridges but they are minimal. I'm thinking that if it cost $140 to cross the state I probably wouldn't go.

The $140 fee reflected 4 states not 1!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Man, I sure hope toll roads never make it to the Northwest. I know our gas taxes are high to compensate but the thought of being nicked whenever I leave the house really bothers me. I guess ignorance is bliss. We do have some toll bridges but they are minimal. I'm thinking that if it cost $140 to cross the state I probably wouldn't go.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
jdb7566 wrote:
The purpose of toll roads is simply, government creating jobs, nothing more.
It is my experience and opinion, toll roads are no better maintained than non toll roads.
The purpose of collecting a toll is to pay the salaries and wages of those collecting the toll. Just another government scam. Therefore, I avoid tolls whenever possible.

And what about collecting the toll and they got rid of the toll takers.

Cross the PA/NJTP bridge. No more toll booths.
A camera takes your plate number and you get a bill for $6.75 in the mail.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not just Ohio - Maryland, Pennsylvania, and any other state involved in the EZpass rip-off system. I wonder how much of the money actually gets to the state DOT vs. how much the vendor keeps. Several weeks ago we pulled from the Baltimore area to Elkhart, IN, to have work done on the fifth wheel. Granted, we are full-timers and travel with the truck and fifth wheel followed by a Toyota (my wife drives the Toyota - we don't double tow). That little jaunt cost us $140 in tolls - about the same as fuel cost us for both vehicles. We are now on our way back east and are taking US highways and state roads with the GPS set to "Avoid Tolls." It's more relaxing, less expensive, and we get to see more of the real countryside.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know, I will avoid the Ohio Turnpike any time I travel thru that state! Instead of a supervisor, call the Govenor!

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I usually have my GPS set to "avoid toll roads". I don't like paying tolls and the roads usually aren't any better than the free roads. I recently got on an toll road around Denver by accident. There were no toll booths and I wasn't even 100% sure it was a toll road. Got a bill in the mail a month later from the Colorado turnpike authority for $31.95.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
With the exception of their excellent rest areas, the Ohio turnpike unapologetically fleeces anyone hauling or carrying any type of camper, IMHO.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
It not the height of the trailer, it is the height over the 2nd axle (the rear axle of the tow vehicle).

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
jdb7566 wrote:
It is my experience and opinion, toll roads are no better maintained than non toll roads.
The purpose of collecting a toll is to pay the salaries and wages of those collecting the toll. Just another government scam. Therefore, I avoid tolls whenever possible.

X2

I find it funny about all the people here that think that the government actually cares who it takes the money from and why.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
buckeyebob wrote:
well i ran 90 east to maine and my buddy was right behind me at the toll booth.35 foot montana,fifthwheel,his was a 32 foot travel trailer .way over 7ft 6",my toll 43 bucks,his 21!!!!!!his ticket said 4L,mine 4H!!!!

This is 100% correct. NYS T-way accesses the same way. 5ers are classified at 4H due to height and TT's are 4L. Weight does not make a difference. My E-Z pass is set up for 4L so if I'm on a toll road, I have to go thru a manned booth so they can get right toll charge. Guess one could try to go thru reg E-Z pass lane w/ a 5er and 4L pass, but would hate to get caught. Conversely, if my pass was a 4H, could zip right thru E-Z pass lane w/ 5er and manned booth w/o 5er
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"