cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Older 7.3 Deisel vs. Newer Ford Engines

arkansasrunner
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 94 Ford F250 4wd 7.3 diesel, Which I have pulling our 30' Newmar 5er for the last 5 years. The wife is wanting a newer truck wheather it be diesel or gas. I want to hang onto the work horse that I have. Sure, it slows way down going up a grade. Am wondering what everyone else would do. :?
1994 Ford F250 4 Wheel Drive Deisel
1991 NewMar Kountry Star 30'
73 REPLIES 73

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
diesel man 03 wrote:
I've had a 7.3 for many years and have never seen 20 mpg, but it sure was a work horse, now I run a 6.4 and love it.
My 7.3 X gets 17 mpg Highway. My 99 7.3 F-250 singal cab manual transmission gets 20 mpg highway.

diesel_man_03
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a 7.3 for many years and have never seen 20 mpg, but it sure was a work horse, now I run a 6.4 and love it.

psford
Explorer
Explorer
Willcamp4 wrote:
I feel I have to wade in here as I have a 2000 F-250 with the 7.3 and Automatic. When I started towing heavier it was clear the tranny started developing issues. When I chipped it the engine did in the torque converter almost immediately, but it was fun while it lasted as it would spin the tires in second gear in "race" setting. I took it to a local transmission shop that specializes in the Ford transmission buildup and they did just that.

Since then I have driven it about 100,000 miles with no transmission issues, much of it towing my fifth wheel that weighs in at around 12,000 lbs., depending on what I have loaded. I have also added a B&M transmission pan that has finned cooling and larger fluid capacity. I have towed in hills with 100+ degree weather and the temp never has gotten above about 185. Pulling hills in hot weather it usually stays below 165. I still run the stock transmission cooler and fan. I also added a Mag-Hytec differential cover.

I have boosted the power in the engine so it now runs at about the power output equivalent with a 6.4. I can set it to put out enough power to run with a 6.7, but it uses too much gas and develops too much heat (egt) to tow with.

I am really happy with this truck, but I have to say, it isn't nearly as nice as the new trucks, nor does it have all the cool new features. I have been trying to avoid letting my wife see the new ones because I know I will then have to buy one and I'm spoiled by no payments. If I had faith that Ford had solved the longevity issues that come with a new engine I would take the plunge, but right now I'm not yet convinced.

The point is you can't run with the 6.7 because the egt won't let you , if in reality it would in the first place which is doubtful. Maybe elaborate on what you have done to the 7.3 that you think it can run with the new 6.7. I have done a fair amount to mine tuner exhaust etc, and it will not stay with a 6.7 towing.

Never had a problem with my stock transmission ,and I tow 12K , but as I have said I have had a 6.0 transmission cooler since day one towing heavy, transmission is as solid as when new.

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
DannyA wrote:
Got a question about the 6.0 engine.
Never had a diesel before so I really know nothing about them but my question is this, I have read lots about the chips added to add power, mileage etc. Not interested in more power but better mileage would be great, getting from 15-16 mpg. I hear the chips may cause problems with the engine, don't want to do that, not worth the mileage if it causes problems. Any ideas and suggestions about this?

You are playing with fire on any Ford 6.0 diesel. Even W/O chips they have problems.

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
I got my chip from DP Tuner, an excellent company that specializes in all makes. There are several really good aftermarket companies that make either chips or tuners. I don't know that much about the 6.0 except that some people have had outstanding durability and others the opposite. The folks at DP Tuners might be able to answer any questions that you have.

Regardless of what you do, before chipping any truck you should find out what modifications should be made first. A standard list normally includes; larger exhaust and temperature/gages to help monitor the engine. I have a pyro gage, tranny temp gage, and boost.

A friend installed a chip in his and fried the turbo in about a week with no other modifications. A chip will build heat much more quickly and will also make it cool slower before turning it off. I would recommend those modifications even if you don't chip your truck. A high quality air intake, that also filters well will also help.

http://www.dp-tuner.com/
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Got a question about the 6.0 engine.
Never had a diesel before so I really know nothing about them but my question is this, I have read lots about the chips added to add power, mileage etc. Not interested in more power but better mileage would be great, getting from 15-16 mpg. I hear the chips may cause problems with the engine, don't want to do that, not worth the mileage if it causes problems. Any ideas and suggestions about this?
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
I feel I have to wade in here as I have a 2000 F-250 with the 7.3 and Automatic. When I started towing heavier it was clear the tranny started developing issues. When I chipped it the engine did in the torque converter almost immediately, but it was fun while it lasted as it would spin the tires in second gear in "race" setting. I took it to a local transmission shop that specializes in the Ford transmission buildup and they did just that.

Since then I have driven it about 100,000 miles with no transmission issues, much of it towing my fifth wheel that weighs in at around 12,000 lbs., depending on what I have loaded. I have also added a B&M transmission pan that has finned cooling and larger fluid capacity. I have towed in hills with 100+ degree weather and the temp never has gotten above about 185. Pulling hills in hot weather it usually stays below 165. I still run the stock transmission cooler and fan. I also added a Mag-Hytec differential cover.

I have boosted the power in the engine so it now runs at about the power output equivalent with a 6.4. I can set it to put out enough power to run with a 6.7, but it uses too much gas and develops too much heat (egt) to tow with.

I am really happy with this truck, but I have to say, it isn't nearly as nice as the new trucks, nor does it have all the cool new features. I have been trying to avoid letting my wife see the new ones because I know I will then have to buy one and I'm spoiled by no payments. If I had faith that Ford had solved the longevity issues that come with a new engine I would take the plunge, but right now I'm not yet convinced.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
psford wrote:
MrVan wrote:
MrVan wrote:
arkansasrunner wrote:
Thank You for all that has responded. With all of the pro & cons, I think I am going to Beef up my 7.3 with a K & N air filter system, increase my exhaust with Banks Exhaust & try out the programming chip. Then, I will go from there & maybe if a real good deal comes along on a newer truck, I may have to jump on it if this does not work. Happy RVing out there. We can't wait till March, then it's full time.

Just remember the transmission with the 7.3 L Diesel engines is the weak link.

I should have been more definitive. Let me try again: "Just remember the automatic transmission with the 7.3L diesel engines is the weak link."

And I still disagree, with the proper cooling they are NOT the weak link

By today's standards they are considered weak. In stock form they hold up well but they don't like it once you start tuning and adding power. You can have it beefed up, but at the end of the day its still a 4-speed.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

McZippie
Explorer
Explorer
mustangglp wrote:
I would pass on the K&N if you drive on dusty roads.

Ditto don't do it! Ford makes an upgrade Abrams Tank type air box and filter for the 7.3.
It's a easy bolt on swap.

McZippie
Explorer
Explorer
MrVan wrote:
arkansasrunner wrote:
Thank You for all that has responded. With all of the pro & cons, I think I am going to Beef up my 7.3 with a K & N air filter system, increase my exhaust with Banks Exhaust & try out the programming chip. Then, I will go from there & maybe if a real good deal comes along on a newer truck, I may have to jump on it if this does not work. Happy RVing out there. We can't wait till March, then it's full time.

2001 Excursion 7.3 with 180,000 miles, non towing at freeway speed 16 mpg.
Just rebuilt the trannie. Plan on keeping it as long as possible but if needed to tow heavy and long would get a new diesel pick- up.

The_Lessmiller_
Explorer
Explorer
I run a 2001 7.3 with banks chip and exhaust, I am pulling a 39' sanibel and could pull more I guess. I added air ride and nothing gets in the way. Key point is it's paid for.. unless you have bucks to spend and "try" the newer engines I would keep what you have.. you can do modification to the interior and the body but you will never get a 7.3 to rely on again... I have 160K and still running so sweet.. change you oil and fuel filter and keep the air filter clean. A little additive at every fill up and you know your 7.3 will outlast most others.

PS. I did have the transmission beefed up ๐Ÿ˜‰

psford
Explorer
Explorer
MrVan wrote:
MrVan wrote:
arkansasrunner wrote:

I should have been more definitive. Let me try again: "Just remember the automatic transmission with the 7.3L diesel engines is the weak link."

And I still disagree, with the proper cooling they are NOT the weak link

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
MrVan wrote:
arkansasrunner wrote:

arkansasrunner
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I forgot to mention. The transmission is a manual, 5 speed
1994 Ford F250 4 Wheel Drive Deisel
1991 NewMar Kountry Star 30'

psford
Explorer
Explorer
mustangglp wrote:
I would pass on the K&N if you drive on dusty roads.

I would pass on the K&N period, go the AIS and be done with it.