cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Fuel Pump

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever substitute a generic fuel pump for the OEM unit? I'm having what I think are fuel delivery issues, generator runs for as long at two hours, then sputters and dies like its running out of fuel, changed filters and they were fine, still does it. No code beyond "unexpected shutdown" so its not going off on that and sure sounds like fuel starvation when it quits. Was thinking about one of the small solid state pumps but mounting it back near the tank so it pushes instead of pulls the fuel. OEM pumps are a bit pricey compared to these generic solid state units.

Thoughts?
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX
14 REPLIES 14

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
left it in its original location but ran new 1/4" copper for fuel line from tank to pump with a few inches of rubber on either end. Should be less restrictive than the rubber and old rubber was very soft; showing signs of degradation near the tank but nothing had started flaking off yet, just longitudinal cracks.

held down the prime button for about 2 minutes and had fuel and if fired right up. Now will have to wait until next summer to see if its fixed as it only quit when it was SUPER hot.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by "pushes instead of pulls". Mine sucks fuel from the main gas tank (pulls?) I don't see how you would get it to push by moving it back farther?

Duh?
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not sure what you mean by "pushes instead of pulls". Mine sucks fuel from the main gas tank (pulls?) I don't see how you would get it to push by moving it back farther?

Y-Guy
nayther wrote:
Did you just replace the pump in the same location under the generator? I was thinking about relocating it back at the tank, one so it's pushing instead of sucking, two so it isn't affected by the generator heat.

Just put it back where the other one was, figured I've gone 8 years with it there doing a lot of dry camping in our desert and while driving.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
azpete wrote:
i have done it on many different models. all you need to know is the operating fuel pressure. any auto parts place can supply a generic pump already set at the needed pressure.

I've got the pump, exact match to the OEM, my last question is in regards to location; should I just replace as is or relocate to the rear, close to the tank so it "pushes" instead of "pulls"? Also to isolate it from the heat. The existing pump works fine unless its 100 then it runs for about 1 hour until it can't keep up and it starves for fuel.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
i have done it on many different models. all you need to know is the operating fuel pressure. any auto parts place can supply a generic pump already set at the needed pressure.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When mine went out on a trip I replaced it with one from Napa. Just look at the specs and make sure the flow rates are the same or higher. Mine was about $30 if I remember correctly. That was about 10 years ago.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
I put in a generic from Amazon. Airtex E11015 Electric Fuel Pump for Onan Generator Set

Fellow Toy Hauler Brenden had a good threat that listed various partes for the change. Click Here

That's assuming you have an Onan 5500, not sure about exact parts for others.

Thanks, I almost ordered one of those Airtex as it looks so close to the existing one. Rig is in Ridgecrest right now for our race this weekend, heading out there tonight so won't get a chance to do this until it comes home, might run to a local auto parts store and buy their generic one if the temporary Honda I have doesn't work out.

Did you just replace the pump in the same location under the generator? I was thinking about relocating it back at the tank, one so it's pushing instead of sucking, two so it isn't affected by the generator heat. Easy to do, just run one wire along with the fuel line (which I'm replacing with copper anyway as the all rubber one is so soft I'm sure the ethanol has attacked it like it did the fuel station pump inlet hose).
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
I put in a generic from Amazon. Airtex E11015 Electric Fuel Pump for Onan Generator Set

Fellow Toy Hauler Brenden had a good threat that listed various partes for the change. Click Here

Thanks, I almost ordered one of those Airtex as it looks so close to the existing one. Rig is in Ridgecrest right now for our race this weekend, heading out there tonight so won't get a chance to do this until it comes home, might run to a local auto parts store and buy their generic one if the temporary Honda I have doesn't work out.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
allcool wrote:
What exact trouble code # did you get, and is it always the same trouble code # every time it stalls out...?

Does it start right back up and run fine after it stalls out ?

I've only checked the code once, don't remember the number but it stated "shut down for external reason" or similar and it surged for a minute or so prior to shutting off like the carb was running dry. It restarts after a cooling off period.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issues and replaced pump with Amazon aftermarket product...no issues thus far. Bought and extra pump just in case the luck of the Irish had left me.
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
What exact trouble code # did you get, and is it always the same trouble code # every time it stalls out...?

Does it start right back up and run fine after it stalls out ?
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
others have reported moving the fuel pump off the generator to a cooler location cures similar problems
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Y-Guy

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon