cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Percent of Pin Weight on Each Axle

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
We will be switching from a TT to a Fifth Wheel sometime in the not too distant future, so meanwhile I am doing my due diligence. My question is a technical one.

If the fifth wheel hitch is installed where it is recommended, which I understand is several inches in front of the rear axle -- How many inches is correct, BTW? -- What percent of the Pin Weight will be on the rear axle and what percent on the front axle? I realize the % on the rear axle is very high, 90 or 95% or more perhaps, but I would like to know what that figure generally is.

Our TV is a 2004.5 Ram 2500 diesel, Quad Cab, short bed (6'4"), if that info is a factor. Thanks for any input!
41 REPLIES 41

gmugnier
Explorer
Explorer
I have been wanting to weigh my axles for some time now, both loaded and empty. This subject has always been of great concern to me. I think the problem that is overlooked most is the over-steering and other stability issues that can actually get quite involved. There are many published reports on this. I guess it really all boils down to driver skill and the situation the combination is in at the time.

BillB3857
Explorer
Explorer
As near as I can tell, my pin is just slightly ahead of the rear axle. Comparing scale tickets with and without the trailer, my front axle is picking up 420 lbs of the total pin weight.

Steer axle without = 4200 with = 4620
Drive axle without = 3140 with = 5560
2004 Silverado LB7 D/A CC LB DRW 4x4, Firestone RideRites, Air Lift Compressor, Line-X Bed Liner, Retrax Bed Cover, Backup Cam, Pullrite Super 5th Hitch, Rear View Cam
AstroStart 2205A Remote Start
2014 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Trail-Air Pin Box

gmugnier
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth - I can agree with that statement, however it never hurts to ask questions when towing a bunch of weight.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another example of overthinking a non-problem.

Couldn't somebody have just told the OP not to worry about it four pages ago?
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 2" in front of the rear axle and with 3100 lbs on the pin my front holds steady at 5140 lbs.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

gmugnier
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure I understand that response. You really cant see what? I posted what I actually am doing.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
gmugnier wrote:
M2 with Trailer Saver TSLB2H - 6500lbs pin weight. Hitch positioned 30" behind rear axle. No problems here.

I really can't see that on a regular dually but whatever.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

gmugnier
Explorer
Explorer
M2 with Trailer Saver TSLB2H - 6500lbs pin weight. Hitch positioned 30" behind rear axle. No problems here.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone, for all your responses. Very helpful! I think I will install the fifth wheel hitch right over the axle.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine must be behind the axle. Every time I get a heavier RV the front axle weight goes down by 100 lbs. Now down to 4700.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
Mine is 1/64" ahead of the rear axle. No difference in front axle. :R

Now that's funny.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 1/64" ahead of the rear axle. No difference in front axle. :R
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
My rails on my 12 Ram 2500 are dead center. I choose to put my B&W hitch ahead of the axle. I've tried all 3 places, in front, center and ahead. Front and rear are around 2" from center IIRC. None of the 3 made any difference on towing.

Thanks. Could you please clarify though -- doesn't "front" and "ahead" mean the same thing? -- forward of the axle?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My rails on my 12 Ram 2500 are dead center. I choose to put my B&W hitch ahead of the axle. I've tried all 3 places, in front, center and ahead. Front and rear are around 2" from center IIRC. None of the 3 made any difference on towing.