cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pigeon Forge TN - Need assistance moving 5th Wheel

CNYTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short, my TV had a catastrophic fuel delivery system failure. It is at a dealer getting repaired and is estimated to take "days to repair" according to the dealer. The campground I am currently at needs me off my site Friday by Noon. I found another campground close by (3 miles) that has an open site (which was a miracle giving the time of year in the Smokies). Looking for a fellow GS member in Pigeon Forge that would be able to move my 5th wheel Thursday or Friday (October 5th - 6th). Please PM if you can assist.

The 5th Wheel is a 40Ft Jayco Pinnacle. Scaled at 13800 lbs.

Thanks in advance.
17 REPLIES 17

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
Not to be debbie downer but a fellow camper may be covered on your RV but have him crash into something doesn't guarantee he is going to turn in 'your' now damaged RV into his insurance.

You can't file an insurance claim on something you don't own (Technically on something in which you don't hold an insurable interest). Any insurance claim would have to be on the policy of the owner of the equipment damaged. Their company may determine someone else is responsible and pursue the issue with that person's insurance.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Not to be debbie downer but a fellow camper may be covered on your RV but have him crash into something doesn't guarantee he is going to turn in 'your' now damaged RV into his insurance.

And if he does turn it in, what If he's out of state now you have to wait an HOPE he sends you the money? And what if he damages someone else's personal property with your RV? Even the most honest person is not going to jump thru hoops for you to cover damages.
IMHO way to many things to go awry

I personally would be concerned about how 'experienced' your fellow camper would be.

Just because he had his camper all backed in and parked real nice doesn't mean it didn't take him 20 tries to get it in there!

Been there and sat and watched it more times than I care to admit! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Rockhillmanor. Interesting comment about fellow campers not being insured.

I never thought of this before.. but, if I am towing my TT, or a Uhaul trailer, or a borrowed car hauler, I assumed my vehicle insurance would cover it.

If I offered to tow someone's trailer as a favor, I wonder why my TV insurance wouldn't cover it? I'll have to ask my insurance company but i just would have figured it is covered.

Now, to do so and be paid for it, another story.

Interesting point, I hadn't thought of before.

Mike

The Tow Vehicle's insurance policy would cover for liability so long as they aren't towing it for financial gain.

The fifth wheel's comp and collision would be in effect regardless if purchased.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rockhillmanor. Interesting comment about fellow campers not being insured.

I never thought of this before.. but, if I am towing my TT, or a Uhaul trailer, or a borrowed car hauler, I assumed my vehicle insurance would cover it.

If I offered to tow someone's trailer as a favor, I wonder why my TV insurance wouldn't cover it? I'll have to ask my insurance company but i just would have figured it is covered.

Now, to do so and be paid for it, another story.

Interesting point, I hadn't thought of before.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
CNYTraveler wrote:
Thanks for the replys so far. Please be sure I am exploring all suggestions completely, to include the suggestion of re-posting outside of the Good Sam Emergency Road Service Forum more specific to PG forum members, which I thought made a lot of sense. Here is an update.

Current CG suggested ERS which was the purpose of posting in the ERS forum. I got a PM from ERS that offered assistance in locating a local towing company (pending).

I have approached a few fellow campers in the current CG (with appropriate TV),

all were leaving Thursday or Friday. Will approach some new arrivals today.

Called two local tow services. One was an answering service and I have not heard back.

The other "was not sure" he had the 5th Wheel hitch". Calling a third company today.

Campground and local RV Repair service provided the name of an individual that had moved RVs in the past and I am waiting for a call back.

THIS is you best bet for moving your rv by someone that is experienced and insured.!! :C

Will be contacting local GS Chapter today. Not sure why I did not think of that myself.

Don't ask fellow campers. They are not insured.

If you don't have a GS ERS membership they are going to charge you a lot of money.

Go into the 'CG office' and ask them. Also that is where you will find the local RV tow business cards.

Also these RV'er transporters do NOT advertise on line or anywhere. They just leave their cards in the CG offices. They have so much work between CG to CG in the area that they have no need to advertise.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Now you won't have people complaining about reposting

CNYTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The last word from the service manager was that it is covered by warranty. For those of you that have a 2014 or newer Duramax, the problem with the CP4 High Pressure Fuel Pump is something to worry about. You can find out more by searching Duramax CP4 problems. There is no forewarning or indicators. If the pump goes, it disintegrates and sends metal particles into the fuel rails and injectors causing a catastrophic failure. The service manager said it is a 10k to 12k repair if not covered by 100k/5 year power train warranty.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
CNYTraveler wrote:
Thank you for all of your suggestions and guidance. A friend of a friend living in Knoxville has offered to move my RV.

Good news, hoping the fix to your TV is warranty covered.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

CNYTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all of your suggestions and guidance. A friend of a friend living in Knoxville has offered to move my RV.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
you can do a bid on uship it as well. Look on craigslist alot of rv movers are there also look up hot shot companies if you cant find a neighbor to do it .

CNYTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replys so far. Please be sure I am exploring all suggestions completely, to include the suggestion of re-posting outside of the Good Sam Emergency Road Service Forum more specific to PG forum members, which I thought made a lot of sense. Here is an update.

Current CG suggested ERS which was the purpose of posting in the ERS forum. I got a PM from ERS that offered assistance in locating a local towing company (pending).

I have approached a few fellow campers in the current CG (with appropriate TV), all were leaving Thursday or Friday. Will approach some new arrivals today.

Called two local tow services. One was an answering service and I have not heard back. The other "was not sure" he had the 5th Wheel hitch". Calling a third company today.

Campground and local RV Repair service provided the name of an individual that had moved RVs in the past and I am waiting for a call back.

Will be contacting local GS Chapter today. Not sure why I did not think of that myself.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
CNYTraveler wrote:
Long story short, my TV had a catastrophic fuel delivery system failure. It is at a dealer getting repaired and is estimated to take "days to repair" according to the dealer. The campground I am currently at needs me off my site Friday by Noon. I found another campground close by (3 miles) that has an open site (which was a miracle giving the time of year in the Smokies). Looking for a fellow GS member in Pigeon Forge that would be able to move my 5th wheel Thursday or Friday (October 5th - 6th). Please PM if you can assist.

The 5th Wheel is a 40Ft Jayco Pinnacle. Scaled at 13800 lbs.

Thanks in advance.

The good news for you is Since you are at a CG.

Go to the office and ask the manager/owner of the CG who they use to move RV's. And/or call the CG you are moving to.

Almost all CG's use this service and they will know who in the area is reputable.

I sent you a private message.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DownTheAvenue wrote:
This is the second time you started a thread with the same issue. You had some very good suggestions with the first thread. Why didn't you just use those suggestions?

Even got that 1st post re-opened after several questioned WHY it was closed 'due to inactivity' -----and post was only 1 day old
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep your second recitation of the same issue so short you post only once. Long story...short.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad