cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pilot/flying J/loves etc...what lanes do you use?

jsrore
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

getting ready to go on our first major 2 week vacation to Moab and Zion with the Ram 3500 and 40' Montana.
we have done over half dozen trips in Oregon.
still new to the 5th wheel/diesel truck part, not new to RV had a 35' class A and toad.

my question is what lanes do you use at the truck stops?
the normal lanes or the trucker lanes and how do the truck lanes work?
i plan out my gas stops ahead of time with several apps i find google maps to be helpful to get a quick look.

thanks

Jeff
2016 Montana 3790RD
2015 Ram 3500 Larmie
1998 BlueWater 18',fish/ski Boat
1 DW, 3 Dogs,
United States Navy 10yrs
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of ALL who Threaten It!
Nothing but the good life,cool breeze plenty of Beer!
33 REPLIES 33

jsrore
Explorer
Explorer
great information...thanks for all the great advice...

i will apply for the charge card but it wont come in time...

Jeff
2016 Montana 3790RD
2015 Ram 3500 Larmie
1998 BlueWater 18',fish/ski Boat
1 DW, 3 Dogs,
United States Navy 10yrs
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of ALL who Threaten It!
Nothing but the good life,cool breeze plenty of Beer!

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 35ft 5th wheel and diesel truck. I use the truck lanes because they have tons of room to maneuver with no cars around. No stress for me. My wife even is comfortable pulling into or out of the truck fuel lanes now when she helps with driving.

The diesel prices do seem a bit higher than if you get off the highway, but the convenience is well worth the extra cost for me.

You just follow the truck entrance signs (follow the big trucks 🙂 )and pull into an open fuel lane (or line up behind a fuel lane if all are full. Just drive slowly and be courteous to the other big rigs in there - they are mostly professionals and I have found it quite easy driving among them.

If you pay with cash or a major credit card (like we did for the first 6 months)... you will first need to walk inside and pay (after you pull next to the pump). You then pump the fuel and/or DEF. When full, pull forward so the truck behind you can start fueling. Then you go inside to get change if you paid cash or the final receipt if credit card is used.

My wife got tired of having to walk inside to do the credit card payment thing so we got the Pilot/Flying J charge card. Now we "pay at the pump"... just pull in to the fuel pump in the truck lanes, put in the Pilot/Flying J charge card, enter my pin number, select "tractor" and sometimes also "DEF". Fill her up and leave.

Sometimes I pull forward after filling up and run into the bathroom if necessary. If there is a truck behind you, it takes them at least 5 minutes to fill up so I always leave before they are ready to move.

Ed

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Most Flying J have RV Islands and a few Pilot also have them.

All station info can be found on Pilot/Flying J web site along with gas/fuel prices.

https://www.pilotflyingj.com/
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

lak356
Explorer
Explorer
I am one of those professional drivers you're talking about and when I go on vacation I use the dedicated RV lanes. and if one isnot available I will use the truck lane as quickly as possible. we are not on vacation we are limited to the amount of hours we have to drive everyday. same goes for rest stops are not set up for overnight camping. let's all try to be courteous to each other with no name calling.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I too have had the pleasant experience of being blocked in a number of times by these pro drivers while they go for a shower.I now look for fuel stops with the marked rv only lanes.

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
We use what ever lane (Diesel) is handy. We try to use the RV lane at FJ but rude Rv'ers that fuel then go inside to shop are becoming more common.

With the RV plus card we have no problems at the truck pumps or any problems with the truckers. We do stick to truck stops because we are 56 feet long truck and 5th wheel. I do not recall the truck stops being 35 to 60 cents more ever.

We like easy in, easy out and a place to park for awhile for lunch or a leg stretch.There is also a good turnover of diesel fuel at truck stops so less of a chance of bad fuel.

We prefer the pre merger FJ because of Rv lanes and ease of credit card use but more and more pilot's are changing over.
We use all the truck stops and rarely have a issue.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
After this past week using truck lanes twice and getting blocked in by the "professional" truck drivers, I'm getting a aftermarket mid ship replacement tank installed so I won't have to worry about fueling up while towing. As a side be benefit, I will be choosy as to where I buy diesel. Loves, pilot and flying j seem to be 35-60 cents more per gallon than non truck stop diesel stations. I'm done being taken advantage of.

vickark
Explorer
Explorer
When we used to stop in Az, the truck lanes were 8 cents higher due to tax rates on truck fuel. Many Flying j have rv lanes.
James & Pam
Terra (cairn terrier)
2011 F350 superduty 4X4 Lariat 6.7
2012 Crossroads Cruiser patriot CF 335SS

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II

For those that have the RV Plus Card or the Flying J Rewards card, how do you pay at the truck lanes when the pump asks for the DOT number? We always go inside and prepay.
Michelle.S wrote:
We use the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card, pull up to the Truck pump, insert my card, it asks for my PIN, enter my pin, go thru several screens asking Refer, Tractor, or both, slect Tractor, then asks if DEF, I generally skip, then remove handle and fuel. Once done I just right down the Total price and gallons, and leave. Never have to go inside, and since we're Life GS Members we get 8 cents off the cash price.
Don't like the actual RV Lanes as they can be a bear to get into and out of, especially if lots of cars in the store shopping.

I too have never been asked for a DOT number. As mentioned, swipe card and enter 4 digit pin code and start pumping. Not sure what you are doing for it to cause asking for a DOT number but I suspect you're not using the RV Plus Card.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Irish2
Explorer
Explorer
I use the designated RV lanes at Flying J and if they do not have a RV lanes, I will go to the truck lanes most of the time. When and if I use the regular lanes I find that my truck and 38 ft fiver imped regular traffic's movement around the lanes and driveway.
2013 Winnebago 42E
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I rarely use a truck stop like Pilot/Flying J, but when I do I use the regular lanes up front towing our 35' 5er. Like you I typically plan my stops in advance and look at google maps satellite view and maybe street view to verify I can get in/out with no problem. Have never had a problem with the front pumps.

We typically stop no more than once for fuel on a travel day and that typically corresponds to a stop to eat. Kills two birds with one stone.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card, pull up to the Truck pump, insert my card, it asks for my PIN, enter my pin, go thru several screens asking Refer, Tractor, or both, slect Tractor, then asks if DEF, I generally skip, then remove handle and fuel. Once done I just right down the Total price and gallons, and leave. Never have to go inside, and since we're Life GS Members we get 8 cents off the cash price.
Don't like the actual RV Lanes as they can be a bear to get into and out of, especially if lots of cars in the store shopping.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
For those that have the RV Plus Card or the Flying J Rewards card, how do you pay at the truck lanes when the pump asks for the DOT number? We always go inside and prepay.

I don't recall being asked for a DOT # when using my RV Plus card at the pump. If I were, I would go inside, leave my RV Plus card at the fueling desk, go back out and pump. Two trips inside but good exercise.
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
Many pre-merger Flying J's have dedicated "RV Lanes" which I use. I've never been in a pre-merger Pilot that had any dedicated RV lanes. If the particular truck stop I'm using doesn't have RV lanes, it's off to the truck lanes for me.
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto