cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pin box clearance

OspreyGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to the camping scene but have pulled goose neck trailers most of my life. I recently bought a 2014 Spartan 1032 (love it), but I have an issue...if I turn too sharply, maybe 75-80 degrees the pin box in my camper will contact the sides of my truck bed. I would raise the hitch height, but I'm afraid it would unload the tounge weight and lead to issues while driving...anybody have any insight?? Any help would be very much appreciated!
9 REPLIES 9

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
OspreyGuy wrote:
I am new to the camping scene but have pulled goose neck trailers most of my life. I recently bought a 2014 Spartan 1032 (love it), but I have an issue...if I turn too sharply, maybe 75-80 degrees the pin box in my camper will contact the sides of my truck bed. I would raise the hitch height, but I'm afraid it would unload the tounge weight and lead to issues while driving...anybody have any insight?? Any help would be very much appreciated!
Curious, are you finding you actually need the full 90 degrees?

We only get 70-80 degrees with our SB truck and it's been more than enough clearance to get the job done. With our rig the pin box would contact the bed rail at the same time the cap would hit the cab. So, when turning and such all we need to do is watch the pin-box/bed-rail clearance (either directly or via the rear view mirror) and we know all is good.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Problem of the pin box hitting the rails has been posted a number of times. Some have solved the problem by cutting the rear corners of the pin box at a 45 degree angle to clear the rails in a turn.

If your hitch and pin box has extra holes for height adjustments, you might could raise the hitch and pin box a hole or two to get more clearance.

I have a similar problem where the back of the pin box will hit the bed side rails if I attempt to tow level. My solution was to raise the hitch which resulted in the front of my trailer being about 1.5 to 2 inches higher than it needs to be for level towing. However, I have not experienced any towing instability by being slightly nose high.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

OspreyGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I have the long style pin box on a short bed truck...the pin box hits about half way up the angle of it. I think my only options are to get a different style pin box, maybe a sidewinder, or lower the truck and raise my hitch height. Taking it out this weekend, we'll see what we get figured out and I'll re-post with some pictures. Thanks all!!

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
I hit my box with my electrical box hanging to low. Never noticed until it was to late. I have almost 8 inches of clearance and it still hit

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
How much clearance between truck bed rail and 5vr overhang?
6" is 'minimum'

Do you have a short box, medium, long etc?

What part is hitting truck bed?
The pin box or the mounting plates?

If mounting plates........cut them off at an angle

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Fairly common, and you can find threads here about the issue.

Basic options are, 1) raise the hitch and raise the pinbox. That will not change the load. It will all just be higher in the bed. And 2) trim excess steel from the rear of the pinbox.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
So, as I see it, this is the situation?

pin box hitting box side

If that is it, lower the truck box and raise the fifth wheel hitch seems to be the only solution.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have not had the problem, but have seen pics on forum, where others have trimmed a lower straight portion of the pinbox, making an upward slant to improve clearance.

Welcome to the forum,
Jerry