cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pin weights

revflyr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to toy haulers and read alot about how the pin weight will change when the garage is loaded. I'm not finding that to be true with my set up. With app 1800 lbs in the garage I might see about 50 lb change.
I have a 386x12 triple axle trailer that weighs 17,100 loaded with toys and 1/3 water. Of the 17,000,My pin weight is 2,720 lbs. I'm not having any problems towing but just see so many post that the pin weight changes when people load their garage area.
Thanks for any input. Richard
9 REPLIES 9

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a FW but my TT TH's tongue weight does not change at all by adding my 1400# sandrail to my 33 footer. I have a tongue scale and have weighed it both ways. Like stated above don't believe anything a dealer tells you!
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
We're seriously looking at FTimg in a TH so we can bring the GoldWing with us and have not found a suitable alternative using a 5ver to date. My question is what lifetime could we expect out of the TV (a 350 DRW) with the extra weight of the TH?
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
revflyr wrote:
Thanks everyone, I'm towing with a 2012 3500 drw dodge so the pin weight
is not a issue for me. The reason for my post is I read so many about how heavy the pin weight is on a unload toy hauler. The dealers are telling people with 2500 trucks that the pin weight will change when they load their garage and they will be ok with their pin weight when loaded.
I'm just not finding that to be true, Thanks again.

I don't have or use a TH but I do have a 36' 18k GN stock trailer and have had tandem axle GN stock trailers.
There is no pivot point on a multi axle trailer.
On a tri axle it can be 100"-110" from the rear to the front spring hanger vs maybe 60" on a tandem axle set up. Spring hanger carry the load.
Also other criteria such as length from pin/ball to the trailer axles and trailer length/etc.

I can load the heavy stuff behind the tri axle trailers axles and it affects the hitch load but little.

Not so with the tandem axle GN stock trailer I've owned. Hitch weight can change drastically.

Now if all trailer were set up like yours then their should be little difference in hitch load numbers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers will say anything to make a sale. Never listen to one.
Come on here to find facts.
I have posted many times that stuff in the garage wont change pin weight on a 5er.
I load 3400 lbs of toys in my trailer and with 150 gallons of water, my pin goes from 2700 lbs to 3450 lbs.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a triple axle I don't believe you can use the center axle as the fulcrum, because of the weight supporting properties of the other axle between the center axle and the weight load. I don't believe it would be quite that straightforward.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

revflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I'm towing with a 2012 3500 drw dodge so the pin weight
is not a issue for me. The reason for my post is I read so many about how heavy the pin weight is on a unload toy hauler. The dealers are telling people with 2500 trucks that the pin weight will change when they load their garage and they will be ok with their pin weight when loaded.
I'm just not finding that to be true, Thanks again.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
You have a lot of variables that change from unit to unit and for the different ways they get loaded.

For example revfly, your fulcrum point should be your middle axle. For the 1800 lbs that are loaded in the rear you would need to find the center of gravity point for you load. Then the distance of this CoG to the center axle. Then you say you've went a filled the water tank to 1/3, now you need to figure the CoG for this load, if it's in front of the center axle you've added back some of balancing factor of the rear load.

Now of course I'm sure you loaded the basement, add all that CoG load back on. Everyone has different loads and loads them differently. The only way to be sure is to go to the scale. If you just want to figure the garage load effect on pin weight you'll have to unload everything else. Looks like your going to have to give up those 2 lb T-bones and eat 1/4 burgers.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Y-Guy
Sounds about right, sadly many dealers say it will happen and it doesn't in all cases. A lot depends on the weight of the toys and where the water/black/grey tanks are located at.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your experience is very similar to mine. I add about 1200 lbs. to my garage and my pin weight only changes about 100 lbs. That's on a 40' triple axle toyhauler, weighing about 15,000 lbs.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"