cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane frig on while driving?

babun
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to Rv'ing so excuse this question.....

I've heard the importation of a level camper so the the refig works correctly.
Also heard all the horror stories... dead refig in minutes, end of the world, teenage daughter gets pregnant, if the camper is not level.

I have a mountain climb on I40 in east tenn. that is quite steep and long, about 7 miles of driving. I'm sure there are steeper and longer grades out there.

Does your refig blow up as you crest the top??
41 REPLIES 41

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
So its ok for the fridge, now what about the furnace?
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

babun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I kinda figgered when moving and it's running already, it's okay.
Next, I'll ask about LT vs. ST tires.....

just kidding..read all the threads about that!!

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
broark01 wrote:
Been all over the Appalachians and the Rockies with the refrigerator running on gas, no pregnant daughters yet 🙂 or other malfunctions.

If I knew that was the cause I would have turned the fridge off long ago.......and let her out of her room.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
This seems to be discussed (and cussed) at least weekly. The majority here run with them on and never turn them off. Some few are concerned about fires/explosions when fueling and may turn them off at that time. No problem running it though as far as concern about the fridge itself.

Mine is turned on in auto a day or two before we leave home and doesn't get turned off until we get home. And that includes going over Colorado mountain passes.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Search the threads. Discussed so many times. Majority says fine. Minority says dangerous.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Been all over the Appalachians and the Rockies with the refrigerator running on gas, no pregnant daughters yet 🙂 or other malfunctions.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Been up and down I40 for years between Morgan N.C. and Knoxville, TN, 3 different campers and a pop-up. Never a problem with the refrigerator.

You are one lucky camper, never did til now.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
No, it does not blow up or quit. If you are parked and not level, it can cause a problem.
While you're moving and shaking, the running refrigerator is fine. No problem.

^^THIS^^
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Been up and down I40 for years between Morgan N.C. and Knoxville, TN, 3 different campers and a pop-up. Never a problem with the refrigerator.

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
I just set mine on Auto and leave it alone. When we unplug it switches over to gas. Never had a problem.
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
no I leave mine on all the time and have never had a problem
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
No, it does not blow up or quit. If you are parked and not level, it can cause a problem.
While you're moving and shaking, the running refrigerator is fine. No problem.