cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tanks

Rolo2
Explorer
Explorer
My propane tanks are half filled but yet my stove burner hardly lights. It may have a big flame for a second but then it goes down to low. It was working fine. It changed very suddenly. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Fisher Bill wrote:
So not to hijack but I have a similar issue, the stove works fine but the forced air furnace shuts off due to a sensor that does not sense the gas is to the unit.

Both tanks are full and no matter which position I have the regulator at does not make a difference.

Looking at past threads it sounds like the regulator but I'm not sure how to test for this.

Hijack over but hopeful for comments.

Bill

Bill, this may be a sail switch issue, which controls the gas IF no air is flowing through the furnace. This is to prevent a gas build-up and an explosive ignition. Not an uncommon issue, from what I've read about furnace problems. The other issue is fouling of the gas jet, often times by insect webs. That was the issue my old Komfort had when my brother and nephew borrowed it a few years ago and about froze their tuchises off the first morning they were out. Fortunately, one of the others they were with was cognizant of the jet fouling issue and got them going in short order. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Fisher Bill wrote:
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Assuming the regulator is original it would not be too soon to replace as a maintenance item. Get new pigtails at the same time.

Post if the problem continues. I recommend Cavagna brand replacements.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Same issue, regulator!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
So not to hijack but I have a similar issue, the stove works fine but the forced air furnace shuts off due to a sensor that does not sense the gas is to the unit.

Both tanks are full and no matter which position I have the regulator at does not make a difference.

Looking at past threads it sounds like the regulator but I'm not sure how to test for this.

Hijack over but hopeful for comments.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check for a kinked hose to the stove. I have a 5er and under the slide a hose was kinked restricting flow. Just straighten it out. Be sure no holes in it, too.

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
You didn't say what RV you have so is your stove in a slideout? If yes, does the water heater and/or furnace work? If they all have issues, then look at the regulator, If only the stove has an issue, then looked for a kinked hose under the slide where it transitions from the hard pipe.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the regulator is over five years old I would replace that first.
I recommend Cavagna brand. Amazon and plenty others carry it.

Get new pigtails while you are at it.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is for the regulator. I had this happen on my full size weber grill at the house. Had the same issue and eventually it wouldn't light at all. New hose with regulator and everything was fine again.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
eHoefler wrote:
Most likely tripped the OPD, Overflow Protection Device. Close the valves on the tanks, bleed off the pressure, then open the valve very slowly.

OPD has NOTHING to do with propane vapor delivery to trailer.
It is to stop the filling of liquid propane into the cylinder
OPD is internal of propane cylinder

The 'Excess Flow' device inside the ACME Green Nut limits the flow of propane when it trips due to 'increased flow' downstream of ACME Nut.
Usually it will trip when first opening the service valve too fast.
Closing the service valve, wait 30 seconds and then SLOWLY open service valve will reset the Excess Flow Device

Could be a bad pigtail.
Could be tripped Excess Flow
Could be LP Reg

Start with closing service valve and then slowly opening it back up to reset Excess Flow.
IF still having issues....swap cylinders and repeat.
If problem just with one side/cylinder then pigtail is suspect
Problem with both sides.......regulator
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most likely tripped the OPD, Overflow Protection Device. Close the valves on the tanks, bleed off the pressure, then open the valve very slowly.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Your regulator would be suspect.
I would suggest an auto-switch over if not equipped.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker