cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling 5ver to Alaska

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided to take a trip to Alaska...1800 miles one way. I have a 3500 Dodge Dually year 2001. Considering a 30ft 5ver. WOndering if I am biting off too much. Maybe get a Truck Camper instead?
Opinions please?
18 REPLIES 18

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Alaska from Texas. In ten weeks we put on 11,300 mi. The trip rivals the destination. Donโ€™t rush or travel too fast due to chug holes and frost heaves in the chip seal road surface. It is recommended to have new or nearly new tires all the way around. Use a credit card through Canada get the correct exchange rate. Some businesses will take advantage and wonโ€™t give the correct exchange rate. If you go around the first of July most of the road repair work will be done and the ### mosquitoes will be gone. Enjoy, it is a trip of a life time in an RV.
2016 F250 Super Duty 4x2 Crew Cab XLT
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission
3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Hitch
2012 Sundance 275 RE XLT Fithwheel

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
Not a problem traveling with a 5'er. We went last summer with the signature rig.

Full trip was 10,500 miles. We usually stayed 3-5 days in each place, site-seeing and taking excursions from our temporary HQ. It was convenient to have comfortable lodging as the weather was cool & damp last summer. We also took our time, not cramming everything into a short time. It's also nice to have a few down days for re-stocking food supply and doing laundry.
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I was stationed up there when young and have returned several times.

if you want to get up and close to a glacier do it at Seward while seeing Exit Glacier. That is the easiest and most flexible glacier adventure I have done.

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled our 36' Mobile Suites to Alaska in 2013 with our '08 GMC dually. We had no problems on the trip, however some of the roads are fairly rough. Pay attention to those little orange flags that indicate frost heaves. We stayed several days in some spots so were glad we had a larger space. The mosquitoes were pretty bad, mostly in parts of Canada so we didn't spend a lot of time outside. We didn't have too much of a problem with them in Alaska. The weather can be cold and rainy, however we were quite fortunate that summer. I remember being in Anchorage and hearing a DJ on the radio comment on the fact that they had broken a record with 14 consecutive days of 70 degrees or more and no rain. I don't think this is the norm. Have a great time, Alaska is such a special place!

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much guys for taking time out to help me. It has been very helpful and enlightening. I will watch those videos.
I just wonder about pulling around such a big rv versus a camper when the main thing we will use an rv for is to eat and sleep and do some planning for the day's activities. We are not the type that sits still in an rv but we are the kind that is on the move to the next site or activity. So what am I missing here that might make me wish I did have a small apartment to escape to. It just seems like so much more money and hassle.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
No big deal at all. Northern roads are often better than roads in the lower 48, especially highways in the Northeast.

We have done Alaska 3 times with our 34' 5er. Something like 13,000 miles RT from MD. Each time the roads were better than the trip before. Drive at speeds suitable for roads & all will be fine. Carry some spares. Things like a fuel filter & oil filter might be handy. Not many Walmarts & Pep Boys up that way.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
These people have 4 or 5 videos about their trip to Alaska. I found them informative.
Loloho
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have decided to take a trip to Alaska...1800 miles one way. I have a 3500 Dodge Dually year 2001. Considering a 30ft 5ver. WOndering if I am biting off too much. Maybe get a Truck Camper instead?
Opinions please?

If you decide to take the Alaska marine ferry length makes a huge difference in cost. Since you already have a one ton dually a truck camper would be my option especially considering the fact that you do not already own the fifth.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled 2012 34' Discover America with 3500 GMC Duramax. Mo problems at all. Just drive slow and enjoy. Pm if you need more info.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 2014 we pulled our 38' Alfa with our 2003 Ram dually to Alaska. No problems. But when you see signage for frost heaves or the shoulders of the roads are flagged for the heaves, SLOW DOWN, or guaranteed you will break something. If you are in a rush I suggest don't go. Just IMHO. The only precaution I did before we left was put wire cloth inside the grill to protect the coolers and radiator from gravel damage. Your rig will get filthy, don't spend valuable time shining stuff because the next day or two you will be dirty again!

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We found a new or not used 2000 22 ft TT for our Alaska trip in 04. We bought it in 03 and did trip to Minn for a test trip. We had a 2001 3500 chev dually so it was an easy tow. We were thinking about a camper but decided it was not what we wanted. Our friend bought a very large alpenlite camper for their trip. It took over 2 years to sell it but we sold ours the first week it was for sale. Many more buyers for a TT we figured. You will enjoy your trip no matter how you do it. We had no issues but I did buy an extra spare tire and wheel and had the wheel bearing greased to see there condition and as figured they looked perfect and greased BUT ya never know for sure.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Lance truck camper as we knew it would be the perfect vehicle for our planned trips to Yukon/Alaska, North West Territories, Newfoundland and Mexico.
We took it to all those places, some more than once. We saved a fortune on ferry fees taking it on the Alaska Ferry, ferry to Newfoundland, to Labrador, across the Sea of Cortez to the Baja, a trip to the Magdalene Islands + other shorter trips.

Think of the big picture when making your decision. Where will your future trips be and what are your requirements. We bought a Class A and always regretted it. Our current B+ is a compromise between the TC and A and works well for us but is certainly not nearly as rugged as our big 1 ton Ford truck.

Good luck with your decision.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went several years ago and pulled a 28ft 5th. Never had any problems. Saw a lot larger 5th's close to 40ft pulling a Jeep or a boat behind.
Our total miles from central Tennessee was 10,500.
Dr Quick

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
A truck Camper was my choice for several reasons:
1- Much, much easer to drive on some bad roads that you will be on
2-Better to get around in general
3-A lot better for parking-park a TC any where you can park a car
4-Fuel- I used almost half what I would have pulling my 36ft TT that's a lot of $
5- Save a whole lot of $ on washing at $3 CD per min.!!!! And you will have to wash it OFTEN
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co