cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling with a full load of Water

bman916
Explorer
Explorer
I know we always want to top off the water as close as we can to where we will land, but how far is too far to pull with 110 gal of water and a loaded TH?

For me, loaded with water I'm at +/- 15,500. My truck can pull 17,100 and the trailer max is 16,500.
55 REPLIES 55

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
TejasCTD wrote:
I like the FW tank empty or full when travelling. The energy of the moving water in a partially full tank can do a lot more damage than the constant weight of the water in a full tank.

That energy can also do a great job breaking up solids in your black tank. ๐Ÿ™‚ Couple bags of ice can really do an even better job too.

There's a guy who tests this theory on youtube (kinda like Myth Busters). He demonstrates pretty graphically that this ice theory really doesn't work. Ice in black tank

As far as hauling water. It's purely physics. Do you wanna haul an extra 1000 pounds, or not? My philosophy is plan my trips to minimize hauling the extra weight and then fill when necessary.
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

Y-Guy
TejasCTD wrote:
I like the FW tank empty or full when travelling. The energy of the moving water in a partially full tank can do a lot more damage than the constant weight of the water in a full tank.

That energy can also do a great job breaking up solids in your black tank. ๐Ÿ™‚ Couple bags of ice can really do an even better job too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

TejasCTD
Explorer
Explorer

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
We do both depending on time of year. If not leaving in freezing temperatures will fill up between 3/4s and just under full. If leaving whilst still winterized in say March to head south will carry few gallons inside to last us couple days, then overnight around Zion/Mesquite typically and then dewinterise and flush everything in a CG stay at that afternoon and night and fill up for boon docking over next week or so. Then book into a CG or find a dumpstation and water fill at gas station or otherwise. We never consume water out of tanks though.

Don't believe it makes much difference noticeable to our MPG.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
ksss wrote:
I don't know that pulling an extra 1k makes a lot of sense if you can fill when you get where your going.

I don't want to stop again to fill for water when I am trying to get where I am going. With my luck, there would be 9 people in front of me doing the same thing. That just added at least 1 hour to my travel time. No thanks.
That is one reason I fill at home.

1000lbs isn't going to make a difference for me when towing.

Well you can pull behind in huge market, mall, home depot or gas station and fill up you'll just need to have a water key:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-Way-Sillcock-Key-UWP0002D/204284856
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

garry_owen
Explorer
Explorer
gtsum wrote:
for those that tow with little water, where do you usually top off the fresh water tank at?

when we boon dock we tow full.

when we over night or travel we carry a six gallon jug for the road and fill when we over night at the last stop before we plan on camping.

camper court, fuel stop, and here in co. most state rest areas have dumps and potable water fill. fill at fruta co when going to moab. fill in rock springs wy when going to killpecker. walden,co. when going to north dunes. pine dale,wy when going to head waters of the green. jackson hole, wy. when going to the park. sundance,wy. when going to devels tower area.

personally i prefer to have tank empty or full but not in between if i can help it. less sloshing around that way.

same for holding tanks. if camping and travel past a dump station will dump and top up water if available.
2010 HD Silverado club cab Dura Max FS3000 Weekend Warrior
X2 550 Sportsman 500 Sportsman

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
I don't know that pulling an extra 1k makes a lot of sense if you can fill when you get where your going.

I don't want to stop again to fill for water when I am trying to get where I am going. With my luck, there would be 9 people in front of me doing the same thing. That just added at least 1 hour to my travel time. No thanks.
That is one reason I fill at home.

1000lbs isn't going to make a difference for me when towing.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
for those that tow with little water, where do you usually top off the fresh water tank at?
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Some of these trailers have had some issues with the tanks falling out or trying to fall out. My 2010 Fuzion had this issue, I caught it before it departed on it's own but others have not been so lucky. I would travel as light as makes sense, fill the tank 1/4 full so you can use the bathroom and so forth but top off when you get where you are going. I don't know that pulling an extra 1k makes a lot of sense if you can fill when you get where your going.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I've never thought about what is "too far".
I leave the house with full water and full fuel and don't think about how far I am going.

I don't worry about the water weight, that is why I bought the correct truck for my trailer weights.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
bman916 wrote:
I know we always want to top off the water as close as we can to where we will land, but how far is too far to pull with 110 gal of water and a loaded TH?

I wouldn't say there's a "limitation on distance"

I would suppose the heavier you are, the more of an impact it will be on driving.

When I had my toy hauler, which was towed behind a 2002 2500HD gasser (6.0L), I could definitely feel the extra weight... so I stopped pulling with a full tank, and I'd fill up near my destination if I was remote camping. All of my drives were over one or more mountain passes, which was all the more reason to tow with little or no water.

Now that I have a diesel truck and a smaller RV (truck camper), I still won't fill the water tank if I'm going to a place where I know I can fill up near my destination.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Looks like you're under the max ratings for your TH and TV when loaded with water. Why not tow full if you need water? Should be fine.

My TH is at GVWR WITHOUT water so I tow empty or with only a few gallons on board.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
big buford wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

Sherwin Grade is a lot of hill. Tow as light as you can, especially if it's hot out.

X2 plus the water tastes great up there.

I dont drink tank water, and i have the best whole house filter system in the hauler...

OMG...I use your DESERT ICE!!!
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

Sherwin Grade is a lot of hill. Tow as light as you can, especially if it's hot out.

X2 plus the water tastes great up there.
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

dedmiston
Strabo wrote:
Hey Buford, do you pull up the grade outta Bishop with full water tanks?

We have ressies at June lake this summer and ive never towed our hauler up that grade, i figure the RV resort has water.

I spent the night on the side of the road there when I was a kid and dad's transmission blew. Bad times.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230