cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling with a full load of Water

bman916
Explorer
Explorer
I know we always want to top off the water as close as we can to where we will land, but how far is too far to pull with 110 gal of water and a loaded TH?

For me, loaded with water I'm at +/- 15,500. My truck can pull 17,100 and the trailer max is 16,500.
55 REPLIES 55

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
bman916 wrote:

Looks fun!! 🙂
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

bman916
Explorer
Explorer

bman916
Explorer
Explorer

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Bman,
Just drop your pic in here and copy the URL into your post.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/201045551/Forums/PhotoUpload/RV.NET-Photo-Upload.html
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:

As for water, I always carry some. Sometimes finding it is a challenge and now in California that's going to be even harder for people.

Yea, I usually have my tank about 1/3 full until I need to fill it for dry camping. I always have "some" water as well.

bman916
Explorer
Explorer
http://tinypic.com?ref=2rp9ug1" target="_blank">Image and video hosting by TinyPic

bman916
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what we had going on in Black Rock

Y-Guy
rkortes wrote:
There's a guy who tests this theory on youtube (kinda like Myth Busters). He demonstrates pretty graphically that this ice theory really doesn't work. Ice in black tank

As far as hauling water. It's purely physics. Do you wanna haul an extra 1000 pounds, or not? My philosophy is plan my trips to minimize hauling the extra weight and then fill when necessary.

All I know is we had issues once, water, calgon, time and then about 20lbs of ice solved the problem.

As for water, I always carry some. Sometimes finding it is a challenge and now in California that's going to be even harder for people.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

bman916
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
bman916 wrote:
rkortes wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
TejasCTD wrote:
I like the FW tank empty or full when travelling. The energy of the moving water in a partially full tank can do a lot more damage than the constant weight of the water in a full tank.

That energy can also do a great job breaking up solids in your black tank. 🙂 Couple bags of ice can really do an even better job too.

There's a guy who tests this theory on youtube (kinda like Myth Busters). He demonstrates pretty graphically that this ice theory really doesn't work. Ice in black tank

As far as hauling water. It's purely physics. Do you wanna haul an extra 1000 pounds, or not? My philosophy is plan my trips to minimize hauling the extra weight and then fill when necessary.

I've seen that on you tube too.

So I made it up the 80 into NV with a full load of toys and wood with no issues. Found water in Gerlach.

So you ended up going to Black Rock after all? How was it getting that playa dust off? 🙂

It was amazing! Had such a blast!

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
rkortes wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Ive seen the ice video on Youtube but don't necessarily agree with it. I don't feel his little tank (with very little liquid) represents a typical black tank. The guy went to great lengths for nothing IMO...

I have always had good success with ice. Its very evident when looking through my clear elbow on my dump hose that the ice is doing what its intended to do. Everything looks like it went through a blender when it comes out and I've had stuck sensors become unstuck. Best of all it only costs a few bucks.

Hmmmm... your results are different than mine. I haven't noticed a difference at all.

How big is your black tank and how much ice are you putting in? Is it at least 1/3 to 1/2 full?

YOu need to get on some windy roads and throw the trailer around a bit to get things to slosh around. Trust me if you do it right it works.

I can post a video of one of my dumps afterwards but doubt many will want to watch. LOL

I did the ice thing a couple times a year on my old trailer that only had a 20gal black tank and used 3-4 bags of ice. My new trailer has a built in fresh water flush on the black tank so I no longer do the ice thing.

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Ive seen the ice video on Youtube but don't necessarily agree with it. I don't feel his little tank (with very little liquid) represents a typical black tank. The guy went to great lengths for nothing IMO...

I have always had good success with ice. Its very evident when looking through my clear elbow on my dump hose that the ice is doing what its intended to do. Everything looks like it went through a blender when it comes out and I've had stuck sensors become unstuck. Best of all it only costs a few bucks.

Hmmmm... your results are different than mine. I haven't noticed a difference at all.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
bman916 wrote:
rkortes wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
TejasCTD wrote:
I like the FW tank empty or full when travelling. The energy of the moving water in a partially full tank can do a lot more damage than the constant weight of the water in a full tank.

That energy can also do a great job breaking up solids in your black tank. 🙂 Couple bags of ice can really do an even better job too.

So I made it up the 80 into NV with a full load of toys and wood with no issues. Found water in Gerlach.

So you ended up going to Black Rock after all? How was it getting that playa dust off? 🙂

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
bman916 wrote:
rkortes wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
TejasCTD wrote:

Yea, we're in the same neck of the woods. To get out of the Sacramento Valley we are eventually going to be climbing a significant grade. I'd rather not pay to haul all of that water over and over and over.....

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer

Don't let that video keep you from trying ice if you've never done it before.

bman916
Explorer
Explorer
rkortes wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
TejasCTD wrote: