cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pullrite Superglide vs. a different Double pivot hitch?

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, All! I'm in the process of selling my travel tailer and moving to a fifth-wheel. wife and I really fell for the new Jayco North Point 377RLBH at last weekend's Hershey Show.

I will be the FIRST to admit that I know very little about 5'er hitch systems. I've had several folks, including the reps for the MOR/ryde pin system recommend the Pullrite Superglide, as it is "automatic", and doesn't require getting out to release. (I have a 6' bed in my RAM, and I don't want to bang into the cab when backing the trailer into tight spots.) I have the in-bed "puck" system on the RAM, so I will need to mount the hitch on a picture frame, either Reese or Pullrite.

So my question is, do I want the Pullrite Superglide auto slider which is only single pivot? Or am I better off with a double pivot hitch? (and if so, what would you recommend?)

Thank you for any help!
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
30 REPLIES 30

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Instructor wrote:
Hi, All! I'm in the process of selling my travel tailer and moving to a fifth-wheel. wife and I really fell for the new Jayco North Point 377RLBH at last weekend's Hershey Show.

I will be the FIRST to admit that I know very little about 5'er hitch systems. I've had several folks, including the reps for the MOR/ryde pin system recommend the Pullrite Superglide, as it is "automatic", and doesn't require getting out to release. (I have a 6' bed in my RAM, and I don't want to bang into the cab when backing the trailer into tight spots.) I have the in-bed "puck" system on the RAM, so I will need to mount the hitch on a picture frame, either Reese or Pullrite.

So my question is, do I want the Pullrite Superglide auto slider which is only single pivot? Or am I better off with a double pivot hitch? (and if so, what would you recommend?)

Thank you for any help!

Love my PullRite SuperGlide. had it since 2002. Pulling a 02 Cougar. no issues and no worries. It does it's job backwards or forwards. When you look at your 5er your purchasing, make sure the nose can go 90 degrees without any issues. Some advertise no slider hitch is needed, as long as you don't turn past X degrees from center. As long as you stay in that range you'll be ok.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
captdave363 wrote:
OK fire instructor, I spent my career in law enforcement after starting in the fire services. If money is not a factor I would recommend the Hensley TS 3. I have had several 5th wheel hitches over the years and none compare with the Hensley.

Wow! Now that's a career change!

Knew several individuals that went from PD to FD, but *never* one
that went vice-versa - including big city folks.

Like the hitch - whatever rings your chimes!..:C

BTW - what *other* hitches did you have?
Never had but one in 10 years - wondering why the grass is/was greener.....:h

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man wrote:
Cummins12v98 wrote "Lots of people are ditching the sliders because most never need them anymore. "

Why would anyone "ditch" a perfectly good hitch, because they may think they do not need them any more? Even if I went with a long bed in the future I would bring my Superglide with me. As others have pointed out, when backing it moves the trailer back which makes backing easier. It is built very well, some complain about its weight, I find that as an advantage, as it appears to be almost indestructable. Just saying!!

"Cummins12v98" writes stuff like that, as whatever he has is best -
for him and for anyone else!..:S

The only slider I ever heard of anyone selling ("ditching", LOL) - is/was a manual slider in favor of an automatic slider.

Fire dude - the reason most mfgr's won't commit to cab clearance with
their product/s is each year's *new truck* models may change = "liability"

BTW - as opposed to salesperson's "lie-ability"..;)

~

captdave363
Explorer
Explorer
OK fire instructor, I spent my career in law enforcement after starting in the fire services. If money is not a factor I would recommend the Hensley TS 3. I have had several 5th wheel hitches over the years and none compare with the Hensley.
2011 Ford F550 Crew Cab Classie Chassie Modified
2012 Landmark Grand Canyon
2003 Honda Turbo 4 stroke jetskis
1997 Parker 25 Sport Cabin w/Yamaha 250

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
That Hensly TS3 sure is a nice looking hitch.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

captdave363
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Ford F550 Crew Cab Classie Chassie Modified
2012 Landmark Grand Canyon
2003 Honda Turbo 4 stroke jetskis
1997 Parker 25 Sport Cabin w/Yamaha 250

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest that you also look into a Sidewinder plus the fixed hitch of your choice.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hvyhauler wrote:
Coach-man wrote:
Cummins12v98 wrote "Lots of people are ditching the sliders because most never need them anymore. "

Why would anyone "ditch" a perfectly good hitch, because they may think they do not need them any more? Even if I went with a long bed in the future I would bring my Superglide with me. As others have pointed out, when backing it moves the trailer back which makes backing easier. It is built very well, some complain about its weight, I find that as an advantage, as it appears to be almost indestructable. Just saying!!

Amen X2... The Superglide has been in my long box dually since 2008 when I switched trucks. There was no way I was going to downgrade to a lesser hitch,the Superglide gives the dually a steering advantage when backing into a site.

The sliding function is actually turning the trailer as you back in requiring less steering input. True... its heavy / extremely durable and made in the USA, been using the same Superglide since September of 2006... it does the job with ease.

As I have said before if I needed a auto slider hitch I would buy the Pullrite for sure. If a auto slide was not important it would be a B&W slider.

Bottom line slider hitches are not required like they once were. I never thought about the advantage of putting the pivot point well behind axle canter! But that is only ONE advantage.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man wrote:

Amen X2... The Superglide has been in my long box dually since 2008 when I switched trucks. There was no way I was going to downgrade to a lesser hitch,the Superglide gives the dually a steering advantage when backing into a site.

The sliding function is actually turning the trailer as you back in requiring less steering input. True... its heavy / extremely durable and made in the USA, been using the same Superglide since September of 2006... it does the job with ease.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sport45 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cmeade wrote:
I waited to see if anybody would suggest a B&W hitch. I love my companion hitch and they make one for factory pucks. With rounded cap on my 2014 Keystone Alpine I have not needed a slider in over 10 k miles towing in all conditions. Keystone calls it an 88 degree cap. I don't have to worry about the 16 degree angle to hitch up. Just sayin......

Lots of people are ditching the sliders because most never need them anymore.

The B&W RVK3600 fits in the factory puck. Its a solid attachment to the frame, no picture frame adapter to add more unneeded movement. Most set the B&W in the rear position with a short bed and forward with a longed.

Compare the B&W to any other non air ride hitch on the market. Top quality US Made with simple solid latching system. No color codes!

I think your head's loose. 🙂

Good eye!!! I like to post this one once in a while to see if anyone notices.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coach-man wrote:

I should have been more CLEAR and said people are realizing that most don't use their sliders and are going to a fixed hitch.

I have seen several sell the old slider when buying a new truck and go fixed.

I do know someone that kept his PullRite when he went to a longbed and is happy with it.

It's all about what works for YOU! It's the people in the market that need all the info they can get to make the right decision.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cmeade wrote:
I waited to see if anybody would suggest a B&W hitch. I love my companion hitch and they make one for factory pucks. With rounded cap on my 2014 Keystone Alpine I have not needed a slider in over 10 k miles towing in all conditions. Keystone calls it an 88 degree cap. I don't have to worry about the 16 degree angle to hitch up. Just sayin......

Lots of people are ditching the sliders because most never need them anymore.

The B&W RVK3600 fits in the factory puck. Its a solid attachment to the frame, no picture frame adapter to add more unneeded movement. Most set the B&W in the rear position with a short bed and forward with a longed.

Compare the B&W to any other non air ride hitch on the market. Top quality US Made with simple solid latching system. No color codes!

I think your head's loose. 🙂
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer

omextreme
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the SG hitch for my Ram SB with pucks. The biggest concern I had was the Hitch plus the additional height from the frame to puck adapter PLUS a 4x4 ram would have put the trailer nose high slightly.

I hope to see pullrite make a direct to puck auto slide hitch soon, give me reason to go to a standard hitch from the Anderson Ultimate i run currently (nothing wrong with anderson in my mind but my clearances are just a little too tight)