cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on Pin Weight and Toy Haulers

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
Take it easy on me - I am a female still learning about this stuff, so I apologize if this is a loaded or dumb question!

Our truck, a 2003 F-350 PSD, allows for 2100 lbs. of pin weight. The toy haulers we are considering have a pin weight of 2400 lbs.+/-. How much weight do we need to put in the garage to lighten the toy hauler's pin weight to an acceptable weight? Or is this going to be running too close to our limit?

Thank you for your help.

Bobbi
60 REPLIES 60

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
It's best to plan that the pin weight will be 25% of the gross weight rating of the FW. Most of the toy haulers are pin heavy with the expectation you will be loading the up the garage with something heavy.

Ours is about 20%

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
miboje wrote:
stsmark wrote:
If you have the hitch and lighting plug already why not ask if you can tow it a few miles? Respectfully you seem to be hesitant enough that it might be time for plan B. Like many have said it gnaws at you going down the road once it's in your head. There's enough other things to get stressed about getting used to having something this big to not be able to take a deep breath going down the road.
Looking at the Torque specs and size if that's the unit, a nice 7.3 is an easy sell and any 2000 or newer dually would be fine even if the paper numbers are off.
Have fun Mark

I won't be the one who's driving, at least not for a while, but I still wouldn't want my fiance driving under stress like that.

See, he's not worried about any of this. He has full confidence that I am worrying too much This is me trying to do all my homework. He thinks we'll be perfectly fine. I am trying to avoid any potential problems down the road. I'm anal like that, but it doesn't always work out quite the way I've planned, no matter how thorough I thought I was.

Homework is good. Not worrying about anything and not wanting to know is the same as sticking your head in the sand. ๐Ÿ™‚ Not being disrespectful at all. You are doing the right thing.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
miboje wrote:
lincster wrote:
miboje wrote:
miboje wrote:
720Deere wrote:
miboje wrote:

Good point, and it may not necessarily be a downer. I went on the net and found a dealer with one on the lot with all the options I would order, except one. I would not order the installed generator. They are listing the pin weight at over 200 lbs. less than stated on Heartland's web site. Of course, the trailer is a little heavier with those options, but not a lot.
That's good advice; if it comes down to it, we could always ask a dealer to verify things for us.

Unfortunately dealer ads are mostly written by salesmen and from my experience nobody knows less facts about an RV than an RV salesman! The Onan 5500 generator weighs 279 lbs and that is 95% pin weight because of its location. Judging from my experience, I believe that Keystone's published weights do not include options such as the generator. The advertised pin weight on my Fuzion 315 was 3015 lbs and it scaled just over 3400 lbs on the trip home from the dealer before we put anything inside. Our "shipping weight" was also several hundred pounds more than advertised.

Hmmm...then I guess there is really no way for me to determine what I need to know ahead of time outside of having the dealer take it to a weigh station.
So how does one determine accurate pin weight? Can this also be done at a weigh station? My fiance isn't home for me to ask him, though I am sure he would know.

Weigh the truck by itself, then hook the trailer up and weigh again.
Subtract the 2 rear axle weights. That is how much pin weight you have. You could also add/subtract the difference in the front axle weight also, if you want to get real precise.

I see. Thank you for explaining. So the dealer is going to have to allow us to take off with his trailer. Do you think a dealer is going to be OK with that?

Depends on how bad he wants to sell one. ๐Ÿ™‚
Tell the sales guy that he can ride along.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
stsmark wrote:
If you have the hitch and lighting plug already why not ask if you can tow it a few miles? Respectfully you seem to be hesitant enough that it might be time for plan B. Like many have said it gnaws at you going down the road once it's in your head. There's enough other things to get stressed about getting used to having something this big to not be able to take a deep breath going down the road.
Looking at the Torque specs and size if that's the unit, a nice 7.3 is an easy sell and any 2000 or newer dually would be fine even if the paper numbers are off.
Have fun Mark

I won't be the one who's driving, at least not for a while, but I still wouldn't want my fiance driving under stress like that.

See, he's not worried about any of this. He has full confidence that I am worrying too much This is me trying to do all my homework. He thinks we'll be perfectly fine. I am trying to avoid any potential problems down the road. I'm anal like that, but it doesn't always work out quite the way I've planned, no matter how thorough I thought I was.

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
miboje wrote:
miboje wrote:
720Deere wrote:
miboje wrote:

Good point, and it may not necessarily be a downer. I went on the net and found a dealer with one on the lot with all the options I would order, except one. I would not order the installed generator. They are listing the pin weight at over 200 lbs. less than stated on Heartland's web site. Of course, the trailer is a little heavier with those options, but not a lot.
That's good advice; if it comes down to it, we could always ask a dealer to verify things for us.

Unfortunately dealer ads are mostly written by salesmen and from my experience nobody knows less facts about an RV than an RV salesman! The Onan 5500 generator weighs 279 lbs and that is 95% pin weight because of its location. Judging from my experience, I believe that Keystone's published weights do not include options such as the generator. The advertised pin weight on my Fuzion 315 was 3015 lbs and it scaled just over 3400 lbs on the trip home from the dealer before we put anything inside. Our "shipping weight" was also several hundred pounds more than advertised.

Hmmm...then I guess there is really no way for me to determine what I need to know ahead of time outside of having the dealer take it to a weigh station.
So how does one determine accurate pin weight? Can this also be done at a weigh station? My fiance isn't home for me to ask him, though I am sure he would know.

Subtract the 2 rear axle weights. That is how much pin weight you have. You could also add/subtract the difference in the front axle weight also, if you want to get real precise.

I see. Thank you for explaining. So the dealer is going to have to allow us to take off with his trailer. Do you think a dealer is going to be OK with that?

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun Mark

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
720Deere wrote:
miboje wrote:

Unfortunately dealer ads are mostly written by salesmen and from my experience nobody knows less facts about an RV than an RV salesman! The advertised pin weight on my Fuzion 315 was 3015 lbs and it scaled just over 3400 lbs on the trip home from the dealer before we put anything inside. Our "shipping weight" was also several hundred pounds more than advertised.

Someone else that speaks my language. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
miboje wrote:
miboje wrote:
720Deere wrote:
miboje wrote:

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Bedlam
It's best to plan that the pin weight will be 25% of the gross weight rating of the FW. Most of the toy haulers are pin heavy with the expectation you will be loading the up the garage with something heavy.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
miboje wrote:
720Deere wrote:
miboje wrote:

miboje
Explorer
Explorer
720Deere wrote:
miboje wrote:

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
miboje wrote:

2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
Macman83 wrote:
Just my 2 cents. I speak from experience when I tell you that your F350 SRW will pull a big trailer. Mine was a 2000 F350 SRW 7.3 diesel crewcab and I had upgraded it to around 350HP with a chip and exhaust. I also added firestone airbags to the rear axle and high quality brakes. The GCVWR on my truck was listed as 20000,(which BTW is the same for a DRW) and at the scale the truck weighed 7200lbs with 1/2 tank of gas and me. I calculated that I could put 3900 pounds on the hitch and still be within my limit as the firestone tires have a weight rating of 3450 each,(6900lbs for the axle). So our trailer was purchased and the pin weight empty was 3200. So I knew that I was going to be running close to my weight limits for the axle and I was over the GCVWR of the truck, but I was going to be driving on the interstates, in the flat lands of the midwest and felt that I would be OK if I was careful, kept the speed down and didn't push the rig to hard.

I pulled the trailer on 3 trips from 60 miles one way to 300 miles one way. The last and longest trip was the 300 miles through Oklahoma on an average windy (15-20MPH) day for Oklahoma. After 2 1/2 hours of driving, I was worn out and had to stop. The truck pulled the trailer ok, and the tire temps and engine gauges were fine, no overloaded condition, not working the engine to hard. The problem was that the trailer was pushing the SRW around just enough that I had to keep my concentration on the road without a break. Speed was 60-65 on straight flat 4 lane, but the truck still wanted to squirm around in the wind. It was a lesson well learned, because friends who should know said that with the mods that I had done, the truck should be fine.

So, in the end, we are fortunate that we can afford to replace the 2000 F350 with a 2010 F450. We got a really good deal on the new/used truck, and I can assure you that it has the numbers to pull my 16K 5er. On the first trip with it, we logged 540 miles, and were calm and relaxed even in some hills in Arkansas. The big dually handled the trailer beautifully.

OK, so didn't realize that I was rambling on here... Point is, don't bite off more than you are willing to chew. If you are worried that your rig, whatever it may be, will be too much for you to handle, then it probably will be. Cut back to your comfortable weight/length/configuration and I can guarantee you that you will enjoy camping much more, and will probably do it more often.

And please everyone...don't waste your time telling me that I was crazy to think that my old truck could do the job. I already know that, and have since solved that problem. I learned an important lesson, and hope that this helps the OP in some way.

This is probably the best and most civil answer ive seen to a towing question. Cant count the number of times ive had my head bitten off and then arguing starts between different posters because of a towing question ive asked. It could pull it but it wont be fun with the wind. Bravo sir
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
miboje wrote:
Take it easy on me - I am a female still learning about this stuff, so I apologize if this is a loaded or dumb question!

Our truck, a 2003 F-350 PSD, allows for 2100 lbs. of pin weight. The toy haulers we are considering have a pin weight of 2400 lbs.+/-. How much weight do we need to put in the garage to lighten the toy hauler's pin weight to an acceptable weight? Or is this going to be running too close to our limit?

Thank you for your help.

Bobbi

The weight transfer off the pin from weight placed behind the axle group would be:

Distance from center of gravity of the cargo to the center line of the trailer axle group / distance from the center of the axle group to the pin x the weight of the cargo.