cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raptor Tire Wear

sportsman_500
Explorer
Explorer
Pictured below is the left rear tire off my 2005 Raptor 3018.The excessive wear is on the outside edge of the tire. The right rear tire shows outside edge wear as well but not as severe. These are off of the rear axle. I would suspect a bent axle but think I would see inside edge wear, not outside edge. Any thoughts or recommendations?

22 REPLIES 22

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you found it.
I hope you upgraded to better bushings.
I know the stock stuff on Warrior was junk.
I upgraded to Dexter's kit and it come with bronze bushings and not that junk plastic.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

sportsman_500
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input everyone. I got the trailer in the shop today and once I cut the u-bolts and took the load off the suspension I found the problem. All of the suspension bushings were worn out. Some worse then others. I ended up replacing both rear springs, all 4 equalizers, bushings, shackles and bolts. The alignment came right back in where it should checking with a straight edge and center measurements axle to axle.

RUFFSTUFF
Explorer
Explorer
kofire wrote:
Looks fairly normal to me for a three axle trailer. The rear tires take a serious beating. Also how much weight are you putting in the trailer? Those axles are gonna have an upward bend in them that levels with a load. Obviously there could be something else wrong but all of my triple axles have prematurely work the rear tires.

Especially if the trailer is nose high...
2014 KZ Inferno 3712T
2015 Ford F350 DRW Platinum 6.7L
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4L

kofire
Explorer
Explorer
Looks fairly normal to me for a three axle trailer. The rear tires take a serious beating. Also how much weight are you putting in the trailer? Those axles are gonna have an upward bend in them that levels with a load. Obviously there could be something else wrong but all of my triple axles have prematurely work the rear tires.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Scrubbing....especially being its a tri axel
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

sportsman_500
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got a chance to get a look at things concerning the tire wear. I found that the rear axle is out of alignment. The left rear is toed out a little more then 1/2" and the right rear is toed in. I am going to order a set of "U" bolts and take it apart. I am hoping to find a broken center pin on the left rear which would be an easy fix. I will post my findings as I am hoping to look at it this weekend if the weather will cooperate.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Mmaxed wrote:
My tandem axle was doing this when the hangers and bushings were getting worn.

Good idea!! When I checked my 06 the plastic bushings were almost non-existing so that would definitely be a place to start, even installing a wet bolt kit while you have it apart.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Mmaxed wrote:

Good idea! When I checked my 06 the plastic bushings were almost non-existing so that would definitely be a place to start, even installing a wet bolt kit while you have it apart.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

sportsman_500
Explorer
Explorer
Mmaxed wrote:

Good point. I will definitely take a closer look at those before I condemn the axle.

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II

sportsman_500
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Were these tires new before you put them on the trailer? If not, could the wear have something to do with changing them from one trailer to the new one? Changing sides perhaps.

Did you inspect the tires that came off the trailer when you bought it? If the axle is bent perhaps it happened before you took possession of it and the old tires were affected but you didn't notice it at that point.

As for tire scrub, do you have a sharp turn that you have to make very frequently? Seems unlikely but you never know.

The tires were in good shape before I left for our Utah trip. No signs of uneven wear.
The tires I removed when I purchased the trailer were in good shape, no uneven wear. I changed them to jump to a load range E and because I wanted the Maxxis over the Carlisles. My present tires I purchased new.
I also understand the whole scrub deal. I was seeing more wear on the rear tires vs. the front and center axle but that wear is straight across edge to edge. Maybe a couple 32nd difference if checked with a tread depth gauge.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
MWJones wrote:
Everyone will tell you it is a bent axle, even the manufacture will.
But I say from experience - maybe NOT.
I had a tire do that on outside enough that it was SLICK on outside.
Put on new tire and never wore uneven again!!!! Just saying......

I had the same happen to me. I figured it was just the cheapest of the 4 original tirew. So far, new Carlile and no uneven signs of wear on any of them. Sometimes it's just a combination of skid and a junk tire.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Were these tires new before you put them on the trailer? If not, could the wear have something to do with changing them from one trailer to the new one? Changing sides perhaps.

Did you inspect the tires that came off the trailer when you bought it? If the axle is bent perhaps it happened before you took possession of it and the old tires were affected but you didn't notice it at that point.

As for tire scrub, do you have a sharp turn that you have to make very frequently? Seems unlikely but you never know.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

sportsman_500
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
I'd say with that mileage I'd put on a new set of 4 and travel on!

It's actually 6 and the others are in nice shape.