cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rear tail lights

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I am putting my bikes on rear of my 5er. Has been supported.
when I put the bike cover on, it will hide my right tail light and license.
would like to get led lights to mount on back frame.
can I just move my license down also.
any suggestion on lights. I tried the ones from harbor freight with magnets, but they are not bright enough
thanks
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂
11 REPLIES 11

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
bbaker2001 wrote:
any pics

will you weld it to the pin, or bolt it on

Here is what I built. The rack folds up and out of the way while you are parked.

2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
my bike rack hides the plate - but nobody has ever stopped me for it so I don't really worry about it. Tailights would be a concern, but I don't care about the plate.

I've towed trailers all over the SE ever since I was old enough to drive. These trailers have had the license plate in every imaginable location (including inside the cab of my truck LOL). I've had tags that were completely unlegible, just short of destroyed, hanging by a piece of tie-wire, tags on the wrong trailer, and on and on and on...
Never once been stopped due to a trailer tag issue. Been stopped exactly once in my life due to a trailer light issue.

More livin, less worryin...
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
my bike rack hides the plate - but nobody has ever stopped me for it so I don't really worry about it. Tailights would be a concern, but I don't care about the plate.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
yes I have the ones from harbor. they have the magnets. have put them on,
just wish they were brighter.
my cardinal is fiberglass. would there be anyway of tapping into the tail lights now and fish a line up about 18" and put on the 15" LED lights
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
One can buy tail lights for a boat trailer from Walmart, AutoZone, or other places (in the $30/40 range with wiring) to mount on back of the rack and tie into lights of the trailer.

This would be the way I would go, JMHO

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
BB, If you have a Harbor Freight close you can get tail/stop combo lights fairly cheap there. I think they also have some with magnetic bottom you could put on the rack and the plug into the brake/tail lights of the rig. Good Luck.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
any pics

will you weld it to the pin, or bolt it on
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
RoyB wrote:
Just keep in mind whatever you come up with will be required to be DOT APPROVED type assemblies if you are going to be using this on public roadways...

Whatever we do to our DOT SAFETY lights requirements here in Virginia all have to be approved type assemblies and pass DMV Inspections before SAFETY STICKERs are issued...

Roy Ken

You might find it easier to build/buy a pin box mount for a bike rack. I am getting the parts necessary for one currently.

This is what I did. I'm limited to three bikes with my setup but I like it much better than the back. Bikes hardly move at all and road debris has not been any problems.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyB wrote:
Just keep in mind whatever you come up with will be required to be DOT APPROVED type assemblies if you are going to be using this on public roadways...

Whatever we do to our DOT SAFETY lights requirements here in Virginia all have to be approved type assemblies and pass DMV Inspections before SAFETY STICKERs are issued...

Roy Ken

You might find it easier to build/buy a pin box mount for a bike rack. I am getting the parts necessary for one currently.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you can move your license plate, as long as it has a light. I added more lights to our new Grand Design. The lights I added in this photo are the vertical ones on the top. I purchased them on Amazon.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS