cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendation for Tow Vehicle Bed Cover

Rough2000
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a new Ram 3500 mega cab for my tow vehicle. Looking for thoughts/recommendations for a new bed cover. Roll up or fold up. Type material, Waterproof. Probably looking for something under $1,000. Fifth wheel is a 2009 Jayco Designer.
If it moves but shouldn't, use Duct Tape. If it doesn't move but should, use WD40.
33 REPLIES 33

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Pace Edwards (new last year) sits on top of the bed rails. The lip extends maybe a half inch into the bed.

Very happy with mine. I put a plywood partition across the bed about two feet back from the front wall (note the long bed truck) and travel with the cover locked at that position, giving me a make believe truck box.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a Tonno Pro. It is a tri fold soft cover. Has quick release latches front and back. We have had it for 4 years now, still in good shape. It might leak a bit going through a car wash but haven't had it leak during a rain.

We got it here. I believe they have them on sale right now for about $250 bucks. I know I have gotten my moneys worth from mine. And am a satisfied customer. Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

flanneryd
Explorer
Explorer
outlaw85 - Thanks for posting the photo of your Pace Edwards cover.
I'm also researching bed covers and am considering the Truck Covers USA American Roll Cover (retractable). It's very similar to the Pace Edwards in its low profile, not adding much height to the bed rails.

One question, though. Have you had any issues with the kingpin hitting your bed rails due to the reduced bed WIDTH caused by the Pace Edwards cover? From your photo, it appears that your cover installs with rails that overhang the truck rails by 1-2 inches on each side. The cover I'm considering does the same. I don't want to make an expensive mistake!

Thanks for your feedback.

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
We like the BakFlip FiberMax. Well made, durable, and keeps things secure. It will fit over our B&W RVK3600 hitch.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a Peragon tonneau cover for our tv. I Googled the reviews for the Peragon T.C.,and was impressed with the ratio of good reviews as compared the few who did not like it, so I purchased one. In the short time since I installed it I am happy with it.

glkids2
Explorer
Explorer
How you use your truck. Live in the city? How secure you need it are all factors we can't answer. I live in the country so security is not a issue but access to the full bed makes a roll up a better choice for me

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
Regarding the Bakflip VP, I would install this over a in-bed tool box. I see from the various youtube videos that the cover, where it is hinged extends out into the bed a few inches to give the cover enough room to fold up against the cab. The reason I ask, is I wonder if there is enough room for the lid of the toolbox to open and not hit the cover when the cover is completly opened and resting up against the back of the cab.

The toolbox would need to be moved a bit to clear the bedcover when opened. It's at least 3", maybe 4" that stays flat on the bed.

Bakflip also makes the "BakBox". Made to sit on the bakflip rails, but slide underneath the cover when not in use. Pretty darn neat, although I have never gotten one.

Bakbox
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the Bakflip VP, I would install this over a in-bed tool box. I see from the various youtube videos that the cover, where it is hinged extends out into the bed a few inches to give the cover enough room to fold up against the cab. The reason I ask, is I wonder if there is enough room for the lid of the toolbox to open and not hit the cover when the cover is completly opened and resting up against the back of the cab.

rsday75
Explorer
Explorer
BakFlip VP.
Can be folded near the cab to allow 5th towing. Can be folded up against the window to access the whole bed.
Solid aluminum under the vinyl, so you can have a secure cargo area with locking tailgate.
BakFlip VP
2003 GMC Serria 2500HD D/A
2016 Jayco 355MBQS

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Extang Trifecta, signature series. Around 300 bucks and simple as can be. We have had ours for 1-1/2 years and it has never had a drop of rain inside the bed. Easy to install, easy to fold. No screws holes and it sits on the bed rails. The only thing I can say that isn't 100 percent possitive is I get a bit of flat when it's closed at high speeds in high winds. Third soft cover we have had in 22 years and by far the best.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

Widows_Son
Explorer
Explorer
Truxedo!
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually Long bed 4x4
6.7 HD Cummins TD, Aisin Transmission, 3.73
2015 Jayco Eagle 339FLQS

Drifter1959
Explorer
Explorer
outlaw85 wrote:
I got ours with the truck. It's a Pace Edwards JackRabbit Retractable Tonneau Cover. Very low profile retracts into a box and is easily pulled out to cover the bed.

Looking at the pricing though, they don't appear to be too cheap.

X2
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually 4X4, RAM Puck w/ Demco Hijacker 21K Autoslide, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4.10's, 51 Gal Midship Titan Fuel Tank.
Wagon: 2015 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s.

Drifter1959
Explorer
Explorer
Oops!
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually 4X4, RAM Puck w/ Demco Hijacker 21K Autoslide, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4.10's, 51 Gal Midship Titan Fuel Tank.
Wagon: 2015 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s.

Bute56
Explorer
Explorer
I have a bakflip vp. I can close it while my hitch is in the bed. I can fold it back while I tow and still see out the back window. It's a great cover and affordable.