cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendation for Tow Vehicle Bed Cover

Rough2000
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a new Ram 3500 mega cab for my tow vehicle. Looking for thoughts/recommendations for a new bed cover. Roll up or fold up. Type material, Waterproof. Probably looking for something under $1,000. Fifth wheel is a 2009 Jayco Designer.
If it moves but shouldn't, use Duct Tape. If it doesn't move but should, use WD40.
33 REPLIES 33

outlaw85
Explorer
Explorer
Just in case. I did find a pic I took right after installing ours. If wanted, I can get a few more.

20160305_122525 by Outlaw

As you can see from the picture, if you do have a handle pointing up, it may interfere with the cover. I did not need the hitch you see in the pic and didn't have to worry about that.
2006 F350 DRW Towboss 6.0PSD
2011 Keystone Laredo 321BH
RIP-1997 Damon Challenger 30 RK

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
I've had many types of covers on many trucks over the past 20 years. The soft tonneau covers only give you 2-3 years of service before the cover itself deteriorates, but this is battling northern IL climates and winters.

The cover I have been very happy with for my last 3 trucks has been the BakFlip rigid folding cover. It offers the best protection and weather-proofing for the bed, and towing the fiver now, protects the hitch when not in use, and folds out of the way when hooked-up. It does not inhibit visibility out of the back glass, and the rails do not significantly reduce bed width. Expect to pay about $1,000 for it, though. Well worth it!
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
I used Extang Tuff Tonno II on my 96 Ram and 01 Ram over 10 years. They worked well until the 9th year when the vinyl got stiff but I replaced them. Anyway this time I went with a TonnoPro TriFold for $259. It is easy bed access for the first 2 panels so I can use the fifth wheel. It takes 5 minutes and no tools to remove completely.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the one I put on our 3500 Mega cab
http://www.truxedo.com/deuce/land.php
A little pricey,but works great and installs in about 20 minutes.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
Both of the two soft covers we have purchased were supposed to be mounted on top of the bed rails. So no effect on bed width and no closer to the pin box than the bed rails.

They also were supposed to be stuck in place with double sided tape but we never removed the backer. Reason is incase we wanted to remove the rails. Even not Stuck in place never leaked.
We removed them once when we were moving some big items. Just released the metal hold downs and bam done.

Had no issues with clearance between bed rails and fifth wheel over hang. Several inches of clearance.

We used the Extang brand. Held up great.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Retrax Pro.

http://www.retrax.com/products/retraxpro/

You'll thank me for it someday....
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

krusegroup
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
Gpoing through the same thing myself. A concern I have is that most (if not all) the soft roll up covers attach to the side of the truck bed top reducing the width of the bed. Will the frame of the cover make contact with the pinbox when making a sharp turn ? I don't know.

I just equipped my 2014 Ram with an Extang Trifecta. The frame folds with the cover giving you complete width and standard height. My Truxedo cover (which was really nice also) had a frame or rail that was going to reduce clearance on top of the bed by an inch, plus extend inward 3" on each side. In setting up the new 5th wheel, it was clear that it would interfere sooner or later. The Trifecta is working out really well.
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2016 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 BHXB

Me, Wife, Daughter, and two Wirehaired Dachshunds!

outlaw85
Explorer
Explorer
I got ours with the truck. It's a Pace Edwards JackRabbit Retractable Tonneau Cover. Very low profile retracts into a box and is easily pulled out to cover the bed.

Looking at the pricing though, they don't appear to be too cheap.
2006 F350 DRW Towboss 6.0PSD
2011 Keystone Laredo 321BH
RIP-1997 Damon Challenger 30 RK

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Gpoing through the same thing myself. A concern I have is that most (if not all) the soft roll up covers attach to the side of the truck bed top reducing the width of the bed. Will the frame of the cover make contact with the pinbox when making a sharp turn ? I don't know.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I went in a little different direction and bought a Softopper. A tonneau cover doesn't work for me because I carry a dog kennel in the back of the truck, but I didn't want a permanent topper because I tow a fifth wheel and generally like to have the bed open. This last weekend is the perfect example of when I want a topper, though. We did a family trip that was about 650 miles. 80 mph freeway with lots of wind and rain storms and the topper held up solid with no flapping at all and no significant leakage so we arrived with a dry dog and cargo. Then when we got home yesterday it took me all of about 3 minutes to fold it up and take it off.

The only issue I had with it was cracked vinyl on the rear panel on a trip last winter, but it was below zero and I wasn't being careful. It was replaced under warranty.

It's definitely a part time solution but that's exactly what I was looking for.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I really like my Access bed cover. It's the Vanish model that it low profile. Rolls up or back down in about 10 seconds. There are a lot of good options. Good luck. Keith

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Retrax roll up cover and like it. The cover can be partially opened and locked in any position

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

joe_puma
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roll N Lock. Also heard Re Trax is good. Mine keeps mostly dry. no problem with hitch.

Rough2000
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I should add, the mega cab has a 6'4" box
If it moves but shouldn't, use Duct Tape. If it doesn't move but should, use WD40.

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 2500 Ram Crew with 8' bed (no rambox) and put this one on APS on Amazon. It's far less that $1000 as it's a tri-fold softcover.

It has rear quick disconnects and folds to the front so you can hookup the 5th wheel. I protects and hides the contents in the bed when not hooked up. Being a soft cover it's not highly secure, but it works very well. My main beef with it is that the front connects are not the "quick connect" type so if you need to remove the entire cover it is a bit of work, but not tool bad. Also, the front of the bed is not accessible from outside the truck bed, but for that I just keep things occasionally needed in the front third of the bed.