cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for New 5th Wheel

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking for a new 5th wheel and would like some recommendations. We currently have a 2008 Cougar 314BHS (bunkhouse) and are ready to move away from the bunkhouse stage... We do have two kids, but believe they will be OK sleeping on couches, etc.

We would like to have lots more room in the living room, have a large TV acrosss from a couch/relciner setup, have a seperate room for the bath/shower, and have a larger bedroom with a slide. We will use the trailer year round from near zero temps up to 110 degrees in the summer.

We enjoy state parks and have found our current 35' 5th wheel fits in most places... I am concerned about the ability to fit the larger 5th wheels into these types of places.

Features we want:
-auto level
-good insulation
-well sealed (to keep mice/insects out)
-TV across from recliners/couch
-prefer a residential electric fridge
-as close to 35' as possible
-dual pane windows
-dual air conditioners

5th Wheels we are considering:
-Grand Design Solitude 320X
-Grand Design Solitude 369RL
-Open Range 3X378RL
-Montana 3791RD
-Montana High Country 353RL
-Heartland???

I have a 2011 F-350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 6.7L Diesel truck. I will not be replacing the truck, so I need to stay within it's limits.

My wife really likes the Solitude 369RL and that is where we are leaning... Just wanting to make sure we are not overlooking something obvious. There is a dealer close to us as well.
34 REPLIES 34

notruffinit
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Lifestyle floor plans. They have most of the features on your list. the 36FW is a good floor plan. Many pull them with SRW 1 tons.
'11 Ram 3500 Cummins
'12 Cameo 34SB3

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
scotjima wrote:

I have done the math on the pin weight, and it will definately be close. It appears that most of those towing this model are using 3/4 and 1 ton srw trucks...

Just because other people are doing it, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, especially if you care about your family and others on the road. Kinda brings to mind the jumping off the bridge question.

And yes, when it comes to State and NF campgrounds, 5-6 feet makes a huge difference.

Good luck with your decision
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I am aware of the length and weight of the 369RL. While I would prefer a smaller trailer, my wife has her heart set on this one and I am trying to figure out how to make it work. Some of the others are 43' plus, and we are definately staying away from those. The 369RL should be about 3 or 4 feet longer than what we have now. I hope that is not too big of a deal.

I have done the math on the pin weight, and it will definately be close. It appears that most of those towing this model are using 3/4 and 1 ton srw trucks...

I do like the Reflection 337 but really want the auto level which is not available. Any others to consider?

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Your SRW 4x4 probably does not have the payload capacity for many of those rigs you're looking at. I'd guess your payload is probably around 3,400-3,500 pounds. So if you subtract the weight of hitch (180#), passengers (350#), cargo (200#), you'll probably be able to handle a pin weight of around 2,700 pounds maximum.

The specifications for hitch (pin) weight listed by manufacturers are for an empty coach. Quite often you can add 600-900# for extra cargo that you load into these units. If you calculate 700# for added weight of cargo, you'd be able to handle a pin weight of approximately 2,000 pounds. With that in mind, here are a few advertised pin weights of unloaded FWs.

Montana 3791 - 2,960# (over weight by 960#)
Solitude 320X - 2,480# (over weight by 480#)
Solitude 369RL - 2,600# (over weight by 600#)

If you are very careful in controlling the weight in your TV and FW, you might be able to approach a rig that is closer to your payload. Of course, I may be wrong on the payload of your F350, and if so, you can ignore my post. But if not, you might want to check out the Grand Design Reflection line which has some very similar floor plans, but are just a little smaller with many of the features you're looking for. I wanted the Solitude 369RLS, but went with the Reflection 337RLS which is an excellent unit. My pin weight is just a little over 2K#, and I can stay within payload on my 2013 F350 as long as I'm careful with what I carry. It is 36 feet long, and has all the features you want as either standard or optional with the exception of auto-level.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do realize that unit you like is actually about 40' (spec sheet list 38'11", but that's generally measured from the King Pin and doesn't account for the nose that extends past the King Pin) and will have a pin weight pushing 3500 Lbs.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint