cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REDWOOD FIFTH WHEEL

IUOE150
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a brand new 2014 redwood 38 GK, the day i got it home opened slides and ripped the trim on the wall right off, the air conditioner didn't have a drain line leaked water thru roof electrical shorts whole house vacuum broken t.v. were falling off brackets. and there's more this has been the worst nightmare in my life. it took two months for them to fix. got it back and it opened up another can of problems, slide out is tearing carpeting up window in bedroom is broke the furnace discharge blows the heat out onto storage door melted it they have agreed to fix everything but can't get parts to repair facility. it's been there two months again the repair facility sent a truck for parts today to the factory only to find out there was none. they also promised to make my payments for the first repair which took two months and they RENEGED on their promise. WORD TO THE WISE STAY AWAY THEY LOOK BEAUTIFUL BUT IT'S ONLY SKIN DEEP. I am not new to the rv industry this is my 4th unit.BUYER BEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
46 REPLIES 46

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Dave & Ginny wrote:
Don't get me wrong it's not perfect but I don't think there's a perfect RV made. I am starting to look at another RV and my next one will probably be a New Horizon.

Only time will tell

And not even New Horizons' are perfect. When I took the tour, they cut a window hole in the wrong place---they just patched it using plenty of filler.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
Gib3633 wrote:
People will try and eat you up for speaking the truth. I commend you for it. The reason they don't want to hear negatives is they want to be able to sell there problem to someone else before the word gets out. Don't feel badly about the insults.

Well said!!

Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking for a dishwasher today, and I took the time to read some of the reviews on each brand. What a waste of time. There is always one or two out there that completely slam the product, usually for unreasonable expectations. There was not a single brand that didn't have total slams, even if it had 100 positives.

You just have to look past the brand slammers and the blind loyalty types and use your own judgment - you know what they say about opinions.........
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
People will try and eat you up for speaking the truth. I commend you for it. The reason they don't want to hear negatives is they want to be able to sell there problem to someone else before the word gets out. Don't feel badly about the insults.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
1992? That actually makes you still kind of a newby! 🙂

Yep, not as experienced as some, but more experienced than others. We got a late start in RVing as we tent camped into our 40s.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
1992? That actually makes you still kind of a newby! 🙂

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
richfaa wrote:
You got a normal average Rv.

I've been RVing since 1992, and I've owned enough 5th wheels over the years and had enough RVing acquaintances to know what's junk, what's mediocre and what's better than average. That notwithstanding, thanks for your opinion...you're certainly entitled to it.

Rusty

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
You got a normal average Rv.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Mobile Suites is now a subsidary of Thor, actually Heartland itself - if that means anything. I find it actually doesnt.

I think the DRV owners and potential owners are waiting to see on this one. No, I doubt anything has changed in the last couple of weeks since the acquisition, but it remains to be seen what Thor/Heartland will do with DRV insofar as quality of purchased items, build and assembly methods, quality control, warranty and customer support, product line changes and integration, etc. is concerned.

As for me, I'm glad we bought this one (our 2nd MS) last May.

Rusty

B&W RVK3600

cwkickers
Explorer
Explorer
My Redwood had to many problems to list. It was a bad rv, but I don't think all Redwoods are bad, just the one I had. I don't bash all rv's like know it all says.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
neal10a wrote:
From reading these posts, I don't have good feeling about Redwood. I compared them to Heartland and Keystone products at the Tampa RV show and determined the engineering, fit and build to be similar. Heartland and Redwood are subsidiaries of Thor if that means anything.

Mobile Suites is now a subsidaries of Thor, actually Heartland itself - if that means anything. I find it actually doesnt.

Shopping for RVs is like shopping for autos - some people get just as much use and fun and good service out of a Toyota or Ford as the other guy that won't accept anything less than Bentley when he shops. Ironcially, the one that uses Bentley as the standard, is often the one that couldn't even afford the Toyota. :R

I sat in the Redwood at the RV show this month, and it was one of the top favorites based on comments from those walking through. Lifesyle embarrased themselves by bringing a 2 dr fridge / queen bed model to the show.

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
From reading these posts, I don't have good feeling about Redwood. I compared them to Heartland and Keystone products at the Tampa RV show and determined the engineering, fit and build to be similar. Heartland and Redwood are subsidiaries of Thor if that means anything. After reviewing the various RV at the show I think one gets what they pay for and if you want cheap you get cheap and if you want quality you can get quality-- let your pocket book be the guide. Also the importance of the PDI and inspection can not be understated and you have the right to reject something you are not satisfied with. The problem is to over-rule you emotions and implement objectivity. If you are unable to do that, hire a professional to do it for you.

Dave___Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Infinityrver wrote:
Lillyputz, (his name on forums) was a past Redwood owner. He is now an owner of a Lifestyle 5er. He has posted threads on the Redwood owners forum in the past. I'm sure he is on the "Carriage" forum, now.

I'd look him up and PM him. He can probably give you some information on how to move forward.

I think I read that he now is bashing Lifestyles so I guess he's not happy with any RV.

As for Redwood, 3 years ago this week I placed my order on the Redwood. After almost 3 years of pulling it all over the US, I still believe the Redwood has served me well. Don't get me wrong it's not perfect but I don't think there's a perfect RV made. I am starting to look at another RV and my next one will probably be a New Horizon.

Only time will tell
2015 Entegra Aspire RBQ

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
cwkickers wrote:
I just traded in my 2011 Redwood. I'm so glad to get rid of it. I don't know about any other Redwood but mind was a piece of junk.
That was the very first year. Just curious what kind of trouble you had? We have had good luck with ours.