cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reliability of fiver latch mechanism

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't want to hijack the other thread about the poor family whose fiver fell on their truck rails.

But his thread got me thinking about the reliability of the different jaws and I just wanted to ask a few questions... Maybe this will help me and some other newb in the future. This is excluding the gooseneck adapters. Just standard fifth wheels.

1) are there only three types of "jaws" to capture the kingpin?

• Single jaw
  • double jaw
  • slide bar?

2) is one more "locked in" than the other? The reason I ask that is because just from casual observance the double jaw wraps around the king pin and the joint is in the back, the single jaw has the joint to one side, the slide bar has no real joint and just a bar that slides behind the kingpin... The single jaw seems more secure to me... Is this incorrect?

3) the double jaw type, I read where the harder you pull the tighter the jaws close... Can someone expound on that... I don't understand how that works..

Thanks,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
40 REPLIES 40

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm not made of money, which is why I have the B&W hitch. No need for a bed saver as long as you're paying attention. Who needs to spend more money on gear that could be spent on fuel. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fuelish attitude!.:R

Have you never heard of Murphy - and his law?

If not, sooner or later you and he *WILL* greet each other..:S

Hope when you and he *do* get together, it's for something inexpensive and not resulting in injury..;)

Carry on!

~

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I feel pretty confident with my Hijacker hitch. It has he sliding bar and I can't see how the pin can come out when the bar is slid across it. Maybe it's happened to someone else but it appears pretty secure to me and I don't give it a second thought when towing down the highway. :C
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Supreme_Oppress
Explorer
Explorer
Failure can occur from wear. Pivot points need to be clean and lubed or they will get sloppy. I have heard of slide bars with grooves worn in them from failing to lube the king pin. Jaw type hitches can also wear in this way but it is less obvious because they are round to start with. When latched there should be just enough room for the kingpin to rotate freely. Too much wear and there will be clunking when changing speeds (accelerating or decelerating/braking). Excess clunking can cause impact damage over time. Most RV'ers I have seen who use a teflon lube plate do not lube the kingpin itself.
2006 F350 6.0 diesel cc lb srw
2004 Jayco Jayflight 30.5BHS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerem0621 wrote:
It looks like Reese has redesigned the handle on their new fifth wheel hitches. The dual jaws look like a new design too.

Reese R16

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Yes nice looking hitch, just can't justify spending $700, to replace a reliable working hitch. I like the bigger jaws.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like Reese has redesigned the handle on their new fifth wheel hitches. The dual jaws look like a new design too.

Reese R16

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a Slide Bar for over 10 years now and personally would not have anything else. When the bar is closed there is absolutely no way for the king pin to come out of the fifth wheel. Just my personal opinion and I am aware that most people favor the jaws.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Never a problem with my Drawtite/Reese 2 jaw and the jaws DO pull together when the pin pulls on them. Besides that, there's a groove in the actuator arm that locks when the jaws slam shut so the jaws can't push the handle out, even if it were possible for the jaws to spread apart. I've had the hitch on 3 trucks and it has a bazillion miles on it. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
ricatic wrote:
It has been said many times...it is almost impossible to high hitch a B&W Companion...I would say impossible but you know human nature...someone will try to drive away with the kingpin above the hitch plate...

if you have a B&W and your handle closes completely and you can insert the security pin in the release handle as designed...you are hitched...period...

Regards

LOL
But just to be sure you got the Bed Saver anyway :W

You do have a good memory:B:B:B...but you left out the part where I stated that I bought the Bed Saver and the Companion at the same time...before I ever saw how the Companion was designed....and how if I was buying again, I would pass on another Bed Saver...;););)

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
When I dropped my 5er off a reese 16k round tube slider, it was backing down an inclined site at a slight angle with the safety latch UNLOCKED. There was enough backpressure to allow the jaws to open and away she went. I had no idea that it would behave in that way....but 9k in repairs later I have proof it will.

Daryll

Was the back of the trailer moving to the left?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
When I dropped my 5er off a reese 16k round tube slider, it was backing down an inclined site at a slight angle with the safety latch UNLOCKED. There was enough backpressure to allow the jaws to open and away she went. I had no idea that it would behave in that way....but 9k in repairs later I have proof it will.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Cobblestone
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Husky 16K hitch in three different trucks since 2000 and used it with two different 5er's. In 14 years, I've never had a problem. There is a silver tab at the front of the hitch that protrudes once the kingpin is in the correct position and J-jsw is securely wrapped around the kingpin. All that remains is to drop the locking latch innto the slot on the bar put the lock pin through. The Husky has been a good hitch.

CAUTION NOTE: No matter what hitch you have, if you stop somehere along the way, make sure you check the security of the hitch. Unfortunately there are helpful folks who love to tamper with someone elses lashup. Happened to me at a Cracker Barrel in VA. I always, always check before moving the truck.
Cobblestone - A little piece of the Granite State
"Live Free Or Die"

2004.5 Ram 2500, 4X4 "Black Beauty" - HO Cummins/6-speed std./4.10 rear/short bed towing a 2000 - 27.5' Trail Harbor 5'er.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
ricatic wrote:
It has been said many times...it is almost impossible to high hitch a B&W Companion...I would say impossible but you know human nature...someone will try to drive away with the kingpin above the hitch plate...

if you have a B&W and your handle closes completely and you can insert the security pin in the release handle as designed...you are hitched...period...

Regards

LOL
But just to be sure you got the Bed Saver anyway :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually if the handle snaps forward when you hitch up you are secure. The security pin will keep it from being moved, but if the arm comes back you're safe.

I drove several miles from the campground before I realized I hadn't hooked the pin. No issues, and in fact the handle hadn't moved from where it was originally.

It's a great hitch. Just call me a B&W fanboy. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye