cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Daytime side trips without the 5th

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our motor home, we would stop at a Home Depot or Walmart, unhook the car and check out the local area. Now with our 5th wheel, we are somewhat unsure about leaving the trailer in a parking lot. Yes or no??
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3
17 REPLIES 17

we3
Explorer
Explorer
My problem is finding a rv park or campground near the town I am visiting. I live in the country and we go on vacation to the city and there is seldom CG or park within 15 mi. of the city, but there is ALWAYS a Walmart.

arnko37
Explorer
Explorer
I have stayed at a WalMart overnight maybe 2 dozen times. It was always after dark when we arrived and I did not wish to go looking for a campground and get hooked up in the dark. We did not need hookups as we were just going to sleep and then move on. One time I thought I would do the right thing and ask permission from the manager. He said NO. Right across the road was a Home Depot so we went there and I asked the manager. He said sure.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
This was discussed 2 weeks ago. Do what you want but I left mine in a parking lot at a state owned rec park and had permission from the ranger and came back to find it parked in so I could not hitch back up. Plenty of room to park anywhere but the guy (fisherman) was just being a Jack a##. Never again will I disconnect and leave my fiver anyware except a campground.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Thread title says "Daytime trips".

Some are really straying....
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
It's an RV..it belongs in a RV park. What's the obsession with Wal-Mart. I hate those places. Never spent a night there never will. I can't understand why some people are so cheap...

B.O.
It has nothing to do with cheap, at least in my case. I have yet to meet an RV park owner who appreciates me for showing up at his gate at 3 AM after a long night on the road. A 24-hour Wal-Mart generally doesn't care about such things. I can get a few Zs, shop for some last minute stuff and get to the RV park during normal business hours the next day.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
It's an RV..it belongs in a RV park. What's the obsession with Wal-Mart. I hate those places. Never spent a night there never will. I can't understand why some people are so cheap...

B.O.
Let's do a scenario......Your driving thru Bend, OR to go fishing 50 miles away at a lake. You need some things to complete the trip (maybe you're a full-timer and you've depleted a # of supplies). You know that when you camp at the lake, over an hour away, that you'll have to drive BACK to Bend and do your shopping. GOLLY.....I think I'll just stop on my way thru and get what I need. OH..well, Walmart doesn't have that special thing I need....so.............. I'll be DANGED if I'll pay $50.00 to an RV park in Bend, when I'm planning on camping a little more than an hour away. GET REAL.......the OPer did NOT say he's staying the night....he said he's going to do some shopping. How about site-seeing?? Do we HAVE to go to an RV park when maybe we're just passing thru a town and we want to see that particular tourist attraction that doesn't have enough parking room for your 5th wheel????
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
shagan77 wrote:
Today's obsession with texting and social media has left far to many people without skills needed to talk to someone face-to-face.

AMEN!

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

shagan77
Explorer
Explorer
X2 the ask and leave a contact number. We've been all over the country, and have found no problems in doing this. Always ask first. It is simply amazing just how nice people can be when you demonstrate just a little respect and courtesy. This same thing applies to over-nighting in a Wal-Mart lot. We always find the Manager on Duty and ask if it's ok, and if so, his preference where we should park. (ah, yes, and we do use a pin lock)

Today's obsession with texting and social media has left far to many people without skills needed to talk to someone face-to-face.
2015 Sierra Denali 3500 Duramax\Dually
2011 Cyclone 3950 HD
2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S Limited (DW's)
Usually a keg of beer....

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
I see no difference in your leaving the MH sitting in their parking lot than leaving a trailer.

Either way ask first.

I think another gesture that would go a long way with the location, is leaving a cell phone for contact.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I see no difference in your leaving the MH sitting in their parking lot than leaving a trailer.

Either way ask first.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Good suggestion for using a pin lock if you need to leave behind your fifth wheel.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
Oh good grief.....the answers are the opposite of what we do!!! We will pull into an empty lot or Home Depot/Walmart.......go in and talk to the manager. We will buy something, but tell them our "problem"......the problem is that we need to run into town, too, but finding parking for the 5th wheel might be hard and wonder if he minds if we take it off the truck for a couple of hours. Or we want to tour their town or sites. And we promise we're not staying overnight.......NEVER have we been turned down.....

Sounds like the way to do it.

BK

X2 to that, asking permission is always best.

I would also avoid doing this on weekends, as most of the time for HD and Wally the lots run pretty full.
I would also use a good pin lock, you never know who may be watching.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
amandasgramma wrote:
Oh good grief.....the answers are the opposite of what we do!!! We will pull into an empty lot or Home Depot/Walmart.......go in and talk to the manager. We will buy something, but tell them our "problem"......the problem is that we need to run into town, too, but finding parking for the 5th wheel might be hard and wonder if he minds if we take it off the truck for a couple of hours. Or we want to tour their town or sites. And we promise we're not staying overnight.......NEVER have we been turned down.....

Sounds like the way to do it.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper