cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing silicone caulk

nano
Explorer
Explorer
In your experience, what works the best for removing silicone caulk?
2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
19 REPLIES 19

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I am with you. Quality silicone seems permanent to me. Course i do not put on the rubber roof.

Permanent until you have to reseal perhaps. Generally Silicone does not have as good adhesion properties as a comparable polyurethane. Silicone is also a very powerful contaminant. Once you have silicone residue on your fiberglass, it is extremely difficult to get anything else to stick to it including new silicone.

Many swear by silicone but I personally would not use it on a RV. In fact, I don't use it at all preferring the many other options.
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Traveler II wrote:
Just wondering why you are removing the silicone? Ours has clear silicone on all the exterior seams and itโ€™s holding up great.

I am with you. Quality silicone seems permanent to me. Course i do not put on the rubber roof.

QFamCA
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info kmblet and SH. With the dry weather out here probably till winter time I think I'm going to remove it all like suggest and replace.
2015 Coleman Expedition LT CTS15BH
2017 Chevy Colorado LT V6 3.6L

nano
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. The couple of spots I picked at seemed to start coming off easy, but I'm sure there will be some tough spots. I'm hoping this caulk has been on here long enough that it has lost some of its grip.

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
The silicone is on a 1972 travel trailer (painted aluminum) we bought. We want to recaulk everything.

Nano, My unit is same vintage or so, 1987; painted aluminum siding and silicone or some kind of petrified sealer. I go back to the "Contractors Solvent" or equivalent and a couple of good plastic scrapers. I like the windshield scraper idea. You might want to invest in a heat gun for the troublesome stuff.

Get ready with some PL400 construction adhesive for sticking bits back together as well.

Rick
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor is a fine product but any good quality Polyurethane or Polyether sealant should do a good job. A few good ones include:

M1

Trempro 635

Trempro 626 Good for applications requiring continued immersion in water.

Sikaflex 221 - 505
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sharpen up an acrylic ice scraper with a file. Don't forget to sharpen the ends to get a nice point to get the corners. Won't scratch the siding.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

nano
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
nano wrote:
In your experience, what works the best for removing silicone caulk?

A 2013 rig shouldn't have silicone caulking on it anywhere unless it's been added after the fact by yourself or someone else. Removing it successfully is one of several reasons silicone caulking shouldn't be used on the exterior of any recreational vehicle, the stuff is darned near impossible to get rid of and tougher still to get proper caulk to stick the surface that previously had silicone applied to it. :M

The silicone is on a 1972 travel trailer (painted aluminum) we bought. We want to recaulk everything.

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
My rv is a 2010 and it has silicone on the exterior vertical corners. I also have a leak I've been chasing. All of the joints have broken their seal with huge cracks. When rain runs down the rear, it runs down the corners. I have redone a couple so far by removing with a silicone removal tool and a razor blade. Once cleaned up, i am resealing with Dicor Non-Sag lap sealant.

GET RID OF YOUR SILICONE if at all possible and replace with the Dicor. It averages about $10/tube. Use the Non-Sag on any vertical surface and the Self-Leveling on flat surfaces.

Dicor Self Leveling

Dicor Non-Sag

I would not buy from Camping world, it is typically cheaper elsewhere. Just used their site as it was easy to find there.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

QFamCA
Explorer
Explorer
My TT is brand new and silicone caulking on exterior seams as well. I'm pretty sure its silicone caulk as divot is used on roof and I assume lap sealant around storage doors etc. However silicone used on exterior seams around lights etc.

However the exterior seems and door trim already have the silicone shrinking where there is gaps. Should I remove this since gaps have already formed and caulk again with silicone or should I use another sealant. Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but it goes with the OPs question.
2015 Coleman Expedition LT CTS15BH
2017 Chevy Colorado LT V6 3.6L

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering why you are removing the silicone? Ours has clear silicone on all the exterior seams and itโ€™s holding up great.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

benb21601
Explorer
Explorer
mineral spirits. available at walmart. will dissolve it and not hurt the fiberglass. can take a little elbow grease tho.
2017 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali Dually Duramax L5P
2015.5 Jayco Seismic 3902
2015 EZGO Express S4 buggy

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TakingThe5th wrote:
I just installed a new Maxxfan and the instructions specifically called for unpaintable silicone caulk. My previous fan recommended Dicor-like caulk. Hmmmmm

Curious. :h I wouldn't ever let silicone caulk near my camper, particularly when products like Dicor lap sealant designed specifically for the purpose are so readily available and have a proven track record.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a new Maxxfan and the instructions specifically called for unpaintable silicone caulk. My previous fan recommended Dicor-like caulk. Hmmmmm
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.