cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing the Hitch

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read many post on different options to remove the heavy hitches from the beds of trucks, I wanted to show how I do it. My garage door is 12' x 14' and when the door is up there is just no way to attach something above it with the truck setting there. My solution was to make a light weight beam to attach a hoist.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider
27 REPLIES 27

elkabong
Explorer
Explorer
I have the easiest solution yet. I leave mine attached to the truck bed and when I need the use of a full bed I borrow my neighbor's truck.
Piece of cake. He owes me so many favors he can never catch up anyway. Gives him a chance to feel good about borrowing my stuff.

Ken
"TooLoose WeTrek"

Ken & Cindy
04.5 Dodge 2500 CTD, 2wd, 6spd manual
2014 Flagstaff 8528ckws

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Three trailers and eleven years later there has never been a problem with it hanging on the kingpin.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
ace44 wrote:
jcullipher wrote:
I just pull the pins on the rails while hooked to trailer, hit the jacks and pull up, leaving it hanging on the kingpin till spring. Quick, easy and out of the way.

I just bought a 5th wheel and thought about this, but was worried it would put too much stress on it.

When you consider the kind of forces the kingpin is designed to handle under tow, hanging a hitch from it is nothing by comparison. Lots of people do this and I have not heard of it causing any problems.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
I also leave it attached to the kingpin. Easier and more protected than putting it on the ground.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

ace44
Explorer
Explorer
jcullipher wrote:
I just pull the pins on the rails while hooked to trailer, hit the jacks and pull up, leaving it hanging on the kingpin till spring. Quick, easy and out of the way.

I just bought a 5th wheel and thought about this, but was worried it would put too much stress on it.
2015 Arctic Fox 990
2011 GMC 3500 DRW

Alaska Adventure Blog

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
Fortunately I have a couple of trailers to use if I need a flat bed. So usually leave mine installed in the truck bed. If I do need to take it out, I use a portable engine hoist. Glad I read this thread, now I have other options too.

jcullipher
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Thor Motorcoach Challenger 37DT
Ford V10, 38ft
Blue Ox towbar and baseplate
2011 Jeep Wrangler using Invisibrake.

DRM796
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never gave it any thought. Just hopped up into the bed of the pickup, carried hitch to tailgate. Hop out of truck and carry hitch into garage
2019 Alpine 3700
2016 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Duramax
2012 Wildcat 313RE traded in 5/2018

Hoppypoppy
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a small winch from Harbor freight and installed it on the ceiling of my garage. Back under it...raise the hitch...pull out...lower the hitch onto a "piano mover", and store it out of the way. Takes 5 - 10 minutes and zero strain.

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water-Bug wrote:
I use the FEL (Front End Loader) on my CUT (Compact Utility Tractor).

I have a Kubota, and a Hyster Fork Lift parked next to that building the fiver is in. I was posting this for a simple solution to folks that may not have access to those items
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
Fortunately, I am still able at my age (71) to install and remove my B&W hitch from my truck.
It is stored on a 4 wheel dolly.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
I use the FEL (Front End Loader) on my CUT (Compact Utility Tractor).

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Nice...
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72