cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing the Hitch

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read many post on different options to remove the heavy hitches from the beds of trucks, I wanted to show how I do it. My garage door is 12' x 14' and when the door is up there is just no way to attach something above it with the truck setting there. My solution was to make a light weight beam to attach a hoist.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider
27 REPLIES 27

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
ohiopicker wrote:
Hoppypoppy wrote:
I bought a small winch from Harbor freight and installed it on the ceiling of my garage. Back under it...raise the hitch...pull out...lower the hitch onto a "piano mover", and store it out of the way. Takes 5 - 10 minutes and zero strain.

+1 That's exactly how I do it, too, we probably are using the same hoist and piano mover dollies. Great minds, etc......

this is exactly what i do. It works so well i installed one in my dads celling. I weight 130lb soaking wet, im not pulling a slider hitch out by myself.

ohiopicker
Explorer
Explorer
Hoppypoppy wrote:
I bought a small winch from Harbor freight and installed it on the ceiling of my garage. Back under it...raise the hitch...pull out...lower the hitch onto a "piano mover", and store it out of the way. Takes 5 - 10 minutes and zero strain.

+1 That's exactly how I do it, too, we probably are using the same hoist and piano mover dollies. Great minds, etc......

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
RedF-350 wrote:
I bought a $99 portable engine puller at Harbor freight. I did have to extend the arm a little bit but it works very well.

Yup.....That's what I do too. :B

I also use it load & unload the genset.
'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not

RedF-350
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a $99 portable engine puller at Harbor freight. I did have to extend the arm a little bit but it works very well.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Have yet to take mine out, if I need to haul something just hook up the 16' bumper pull and off I go. Too much trouble taking it in and out. Travel on.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
SuperGlide 4400 here. Weighs 285 pounds. Unpin from rails. Tip up on left side. "Walk" it to tailgate. Flop it down on tailgate high table. Roll it into garage. Ten minutes. And not a bit of sweat. What's the big deal?
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

DRM796
Explorer II
Explorer II
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
DRM796 wrote:
Never gave it any thought. Just hopped up into the bed of the pickup, carried hitch to tailgate. Hop out of truck and carry hitch into garage

I'm not certain, but I am almost sure that this is the same procedure that my chauffeur uses. I'll ask him later today when he drives me to the club.

Now that's funny!!!
2019 Alpine 3700
2016 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Duramax
2012 Wildcat 313RE traded in 5/2018

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tango, AE7UI wrote:
Fortunately, I am still able at my age (71) to install and remove my B&W hitch from my truck.
It is stored on a 4 wheel dolly.

B&W hitch breaks down into two pieces. Easy to R&R.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hoppypoppy
Explorer
Explorer
relaxin wrote:
I just sell the truck and buy a new one, then when I need the hitch again I have a brand new one installed.

LOL!!!

Love this one LOL

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
I just sell the truck and buy a new one, then when I need the hitch again I have a brand new one installed.

LOL!!!
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
DRM796 wrote:
Never gave it any thought. Just hopped up into the bed of the pickup, carried hitch to tailgate. Hop out of truck and carry hitch into garage

I'm not certain, but I am almost sure that this is the same procedure that my chauffeur uses. I'll ask him later today when he drives me to the club.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

DRM796
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably a bad habit of working harder not smarter. Also if I complain about something being too heavy the DW would make fun of me.
2019 Alpine 3700
2016 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Duramax
2012 Wildcat 313RE traded in 5/2018

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
DRM you the man.

And I thought Rambo was a bad adz. :W

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
DRM796 wrote:

OK hero, - Try that with a PR SuperGlide...:W..:R

Even *if* you are a pro weight lifter, "Murphy" will do a gotcha
as he did to a poster a few years back......

Oops - dropped it on his foot...:(

~