cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacement windows- regular home windows vs. RV windows

pivotman2014
Explorer
Explorer
Why can't regular home vinyl windows (single hung or sliders) be used to replace the normal radius RV windows?
They are just as light in weight and just as protected from the weather??

Also much better to operate.

Are their safety issues with respect to the type glass that is used? I.e. Temperate vs. Safety glass???
9 REPLIES 9

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
Oaklevel wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
I asked the same question a few years ago and got the same answers. Someone need to come up with an alternative to that aluminum junk window. You sure wouldn't put up with aluminum in your sticks and bricks.

🙂 ????? I think you mean junk aluminum RV windows??? We have aluminum windows in our stick & bricks house (actually there are at least 21 aluminum windows) They work great & been there since 1980........ 🙂

Had aluminum dual panes in the house. Installed viynal dual windows There is no comparance between the two. Temperature transfer difference is amazing. Probably paid for themselves several times since the install 17 years ago.

my previous house had aluminum sliders for windows. yes, frame got very cold. bought what I think they called screen door molding, glued it to the face of the aluminum and problem solved, quickly, easily.
bumpy

We are hoping to change out eventually but with over 21 windows & our heating bill is not bad. Ours are the tilt in dual panes that were made locally by West Window.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
Oaklevel wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
I asked the same question a few years ago and got the same answers. Someone need to come up with an alternative to that aluminum junk window. You sure wouldn't put up with aluminum in your sticks and bricks.

🙂 ????? I think you mean junk aluminum RV windows??? We have aluminum windows in our stick & bricks house (actually there are at least 21 aluminum windows) They work great & been there since 1980........ 🙂

Had aluminum dual panes in the house. Installed viynal dual windows There is no comparance between the two. Temperature transfer difference is amazing. Probably paid for themselves several times since the install 17 years ago.

my previous house had aluminum sliders for windows. yes, frame got very cold. bought what I think they called screen door molding, glued it to the face of the aluminum and problem solved, quickly, easily.
bumpy

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oaklevel wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:

BusaGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
on those semi-park models that have a large sliding or swinging glass door, what is the construction of them?
bumpy

I may be wrong but I think the park models are built to a higher standard than a normal rig due to the fact that they are really designed to be more of a "move once" type of thing and then they have to withstand more wind and stuff, but I may be way wrong so correct me please if I am.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DWR Cummins Powered
2014 Wild Wood Heritage Elite
DW, DD's, DS, and our 2 little dogs!!

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
on those semi-park models that have a large sliding or swinging glass door, what is the construction of them?
bumpy

There is a total design difference.
One of the big things is the way they are made for shunning water. The residential windows are made to be stationary. In a typical horizontal slider application, they seal water and air by means of a finned weatherstrip and also some have soft rubber gaskets. Water runs downhill so they work well for that.

Take that same window and spray water at 60 miles an hour sideways and water will migrate in through the interlock bar, especially top and bottom.

Also, the closing / locking mechanisms on a stick and bricks window are not made for movement. Many have a drop lock or swivel catch only and it would move around during travel. RV widows are designed to stay locked while going down the road.

Also, as bumpy mentioned, the size of the walls. Residential windows are physically wider and would not fit the wall thickness. Our typical RV wall is less than half the thickness of the standard 2X4 residential wall.

There are a number of other things too, but suffice to say, this is simply not a good idea.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
interesting question. they are for thicker walls. don't know how they would take the continual twisting, etc.
bumpy