cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing 2 tires, where should the new ones go?

danr1707
Explorer
Explorer
Without getting into a long story, I have 2 G614 RST tires that need to be replaced. The other 2 are newer and in good shape.

Should I put the new ones on the front or back axle?
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5FBDS
2017 F-350 6.7 4x4 CC LB SRW Lariat
2 Parakeets

Senior Member only because I've asked over 200 stupid questions!
21 REPLIES 21

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
roadracer wrote:
Save the two good ones as spares you never know what might happen

2nd that! And bring one with you.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Does not matter as long as they are on the same axle.

I own 3 duel axle trailers & have never rotated tires see no need. they wear the same. Always age out long before the tread wears out.

Which brings me to how old are the other two "good" tires. If they are 5-7 years old replace all of them.........

danr1707
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
keep one of the newer ones as your new spare.

I'm not sure if the steel spare wheel is rated for 110 PSI.
2 Parakeets

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
keep one of the newer ones as your new spare.
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
It is a trailer, so the tire position does not matter at all.

Ditto... front or rear, makes no difference, but I'd say they should both go on the same axle (in other words, put both on the front or both on the rear)
Bob

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
When replacing tires on a trailer I do them all at the same time unless one picks up a big screw or other object... in which case I replace the one.
My experience has been that when one goes the rest are on borrowed time and it is easier and safer just to bite the bullet and get them all replaced...
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
On tandem axle trailers, I always would put the new tires on the front axle. Sometimes the front tire runs over a nail or screw safely and throws it up into position for the rear tire to get punctured; I have had this happen too many times to count. And I'd rather puncture an old tire instead of a new one... 😉

Now all my trailers are single axle ones, and I have way less nail and screw problems.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

roadracer
Explorer
Explorer
Save the two good ones as spares you never know what might happen
06 F350 4x4 Amarillo Pkg PSD,Juice W/Attitude, Air Bags
Cold Air Intake, Corsa Exhaust
2" Fabtech Kit W/Shocks
Superglide 5r Hitch W/ Super Rail Kit
K-Z 38bx2 Triple Slide With Mor/ryde Pin box

danr1707
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm just going to get 4 new ones.
2 Parakeets

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
While not a tire expert the tires you are not replacing should not be moved to another side of the TT. That being said I'd put the new tires where there is more axle weight.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I see that the thread thinks these tires are for a trailer. I don't think it matters as long as the trailer tows level.

However, I have to take exception to @Grandpere's recommendation to put the new ones on the front. The reason is this: presumably the old tires will wear out before the new ones, when that happens, you will have infinitely better traction on wet roads on the front axle, and this is a prescription for disaster. When considering future events, you must think in terms of probability, what is likely to happen vs what is theoretically possible. Your odds of a blowout are extremely tiny, but your odds of hitting a puddle are all but certain. Think about it, in your entire driving life, exactly how many blowouts have you had? Can you even guesstimate how many puddles you've hit?

If you hit that puddle with good tires on the front, and worn out or bald tires on the back, you are going to go for a ride through the weeds, mostly sideways, but a little backwards. Your crash protection is designed to be most robust if you are going forward and hit that tree, but if you are sideways, you have almost nothing. If you have an axle sliding because of that puddle, you want it to be the front axle, not the rear. If you are going to hit anything, you want to take the blow on the front of the car, not the side.

Reputable tire dealers know this too. The NHTSA recommends new tires always go on the back, NEVER the front for this reason. A reputable dealer should refuse to put them on the front, as he risks getting sued should you take that ride sideways through the boonies.

danr1707
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:

Interesting information. the tire dealer I've used for 35 years always puts them on the front if I buy just two. I'll have to show them this info.

That has always been the thought, but it has turned out to be wrong. Even with front wheel drive cars, new ones should go in the rear.
2 Parakeets

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Grandpere wrote:
new ones always go on the front axle because there is less chance of a blowout on the steering axle.

On a car or truck two new tires should always go on the rear.

Tire myths

Another

For a trailer it does not matter.

Interesting information. the tire dealer I've used for 35 years always puts them on the front if I buy just two. I'll have to show them this info.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Grandpere wrote:
new ones always go on the front axle because there is less chance of a blowout on the steering axle.

On a car or truck two new tires should always go on the rear.

Tire myths

Another

For a trailer it does not matter.