cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Retiring 2015 - 5'er Advice/Experience Solicited

dshizzel
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to pull the trigger next year. We're paying off the S&B and keeping it as a home base. Will make 2-3 trips a year each with a 2-4 month duration.

We've had 2 5'ers and kinda know the ropes. First was a 27' Forest River WildWood - had lots of warranty problems with it. Put a bad taste in our mouths about FR, but I understand they're a different company than they were in the late 90's.

2nd was a 2001 31BWFS Sunnybrook which was trouble free and a joy to own.

Now, the truck is my domain, and I get complete control over that. But, the 5'er is DW's. I have veto power, but here's what we're looking at:

DW really wants a Big Country or Big Horn. Her main criteria are w/d prep, generally 4 seasons, fireplace (I know...), TV on opposite side as recliners (not in the back or front).

King bed is optional - we can do with queen or king. The trailer needs to be big enough to not get bad cabin fever if there's bad weather and we have 2 medium size dogs (60-70 lbs). I'd really like auto-level system, but I can live without it. So, we're probably looking at 38-40ft in length.

I like Heartland's all-in-one docking station for water, power, tanks, and cable/satellite.

I feel we will want to keep and use it a solid 10 years before we sell it and the S&B and settle in to a retirement community.

We intend to buy new and pay cash for both the TV and 5'er. Budget is right around $60k-65k for the 5'er.

Our so-far planned trips have us spanning the country at a leisurely pace and back home for about 1-2 months at a time for doctor visits and prescription refills and such.

So, with all that said, I'd like to hear from the community about whether the brand we're looking at is reliable and if the budget is realistic.

I know everyone is different and has different experience and needs. Thanks in advance for your contributions.
F-350 SuperDuty SuperCab 8' Box
On deposit: Open Range Roamer RF337RLS
-
Used to have:
2001 Sunnybrook 31BWFS 5'er
-
Retiring 2015
-
DShizzel -- An over the hill white guy with "Shizzel" in his handle.
53 REPLIES 53

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
As the owner of a new 5th wheel, I agree that there is no quality control in the RV industry. I am flat out amazed.

Naively, I thought the initial quality would be the same as the initial quality of the cars/trucks/SUVs I and my family have purchased over the last 10 years or so. But it's not even in the same ball park.

The RV industry maybe should pay attention to what happened to the US auto industry when Mr Honda started manufacturing and exporting automobiles (and motorcycles). If the Japanese and South Koreans ever decide to manufacture RVs, there will be some serious unemployment in the Elkhart area.

Tim

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
b_pilot wrote:
We have a 38ft Bighorn 5th wheel. It is a 2010 but we bought it in 2009 so it is 5 years old. Regrettably, we have had a multitude of problems with the trailer. Too many to list in this post. However, after 5 years we can now go on trips and not have much go wrong. We have always liked the layout of the interior and have had good experiences with Heartland customer service. I think we got the trailer that was built on Monday morning when the workers were mad about having to go to work.:) Even with our problems, we would consider another Bighorn when we start to look again. There is no quality control in the manufacture of RVs.

Every time that I read "There is no quality control in the manufacture of RVs" I shudder. Quality Control is a measurement system. Management determines what level of quality is acceptable. If management doesn't care about quality, they ignore what Quality Control tells them. Management determines what is acceptable, not the quality system. A company can be ISO and QS certified and still have crummy quality, because those certifications only assure that quality is measured and the results are available for review, not that anyone in management does or cares.

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 38ft Bighorn 5th wheel. It is a 2010 but we bought it in 2009 so it is 5 years old. Regrettably, we have had a multitude of problems with the trailer. Too many to list in this post. However, after 5 years we can now go on trips and not have much go wrong. We have always liked the layout of the interior and have had good experiences with Heartland customer service. I think we got the trailer that was built on Monday morning when the workers were mad about having to go to work.:) Even with our problems, we would consider another Bighorn when we start to look again. There is no quality control in the manufacture of RVs.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
MC9 wrote:
Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh. "Best laid plans of mice, etc." We were Heartland owners, felt like traitors when we bought our 2013 Cedar Creek 34RLSA. I pull with an 08 F-250 V10 LB SRW. Couldn't be more pleased.
I have been very active in the Heartland Owners club and forum but I feel the same way. Heartland has just kept raising the price and giving you less for the dollar. The Cedar Creek looks to me like the best value in this price range and after all it is my dollar...

B.o.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

MC9
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh. "Best laid plans of mice, etc." We were Heartland owners, felt like traitors when we bought our 2013 Cedar Creek 34RLSA. I pull with an 08 F-250 V10 LB SRW. Couldn't be more pleased.

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Just from my experience, I am really enjoying the Big Country 3650RL, and you really can't beat the owners forum. My experience with Heartland on minor problems has been outstanding. From your description of your "wants" it sounds like you would enjoy the floorplan that I purchased. I had not originally looked for all of the options this rig came with but I'm sure glad I got them. Dual air, dual door frig, 6 point level up system (one of the best options), Fireplace, Broyhill furniture, electric awning, remote control, and I added combo Splendide washer/dryer. These units are built on the same line as the Landmark and have many of the same features. As for the TV, look at my signature. I've pulled this rig many thousands of miles with no trouble what so ever. I did modify the TV by adding air bags and 19.5" tires. I didn't know about the factory Tow Max tires, but replaced them with Sailun S637 "G" rated. Good luck with your decision.

I would take a look at the Heartland site for spec's on the Big Country and do a comparison. I can tell you that this rig is much better insulated than my previous Hitchhiker.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

dshizzel
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, great suggestions so far, and I couldn't be more appreciative! I've started looking at the CC's online and will add them to my list of candidates.

My thinking on the SRW, SB was that we plan to use the TV unhitched quite a lot for sight seeing and some city travel. I felt that the DRW may prove a little touch to navigate with in the cities, parking, cornering, etc.

I do understand the stability advantages of towing with DRW, but having towed cross country with the Sunnybrook 31BWFS and a '99 QC Cummins 2500, I didn't see it as a challenge then, from a handling perspective.

I moved up from 3/4 ton to 1 ton based on advice in this forum regarding tow and cargo capacity.

I selected the SB because most new 5'ers have the angled front caps and the more forward pin box and I felt I could use a standard hitch without slider with those features. I also felt the SB would be a little easier to maneuver around cities.

I'm more than willing to entertain a 2-3 year old DRV if I can convince DW. She has opened up her mind to the CC now, so that's good.

We'll both be 60 when we pull the trigger next year, and we're very anxious to start this new phase of our lives.

Thanks to everyone, and keep 'em comin'!

DS
-
Used to have:
-
Retiring 2015
-

dshizzel
Explorer
Explorer
MC9 wrote:
I wouldn't waste five minutes of my time planning ahead. You'll see.

Seems harsh -- pray tell, why?

Edit: never mind -- saw your comment about sudden health issues, and I understand what you mean. We will take those things as they come, but that doesn't negate starting with a plan. For us, anyway.

Best of luck you you, MC.
-
Used to have:
-
Retiring 2015
-

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you plan on using it for 10 years you want a unit that has a proven track record for that long. Since you had a Sonnybrook, might I suggest Mr. Fought's new brand - DRV? Yes they are more money than either of the two your wife has looked at but the TKSB has the items she wants - two recliners across from the TV, fireplace, separate W/D, the single utility center with a convenient water manifold to shut off water if there is a problem, plenty of storage and you can get it in 37 (36) or 39 (38) feet lengths. It will require at least a 350, but I suggest a 450 (my choice) that will pull it with room to spare, some go to a MDT like a Volvo or Freightliner.

The advantages I chose were - bigger frame, wider body (8'6"), 8K axles, larger wheels and tires, MOR ride independent suspension, 2 ea. 40 lb. propane tanks (last a lot longer), 2ea. 15K A/C - heat pumps (save propane to a lower temperature) and electric dump valves to save time and effort, for got the level up system - push and forget, go do other hook ups while it does it's thing.

If it were me I'd choose the highest quality unit I could get from a dealer who does a great PDI.
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I full time and have a 2014 BigHorn 3010RE. 35 ft long.

My absolute favorite option is the Level Up auto-level system. Would not be without it. 30 seconds after you push the magic button, everything's level and it's Margaritas time (currently in New Mexico). And it's downright fun to watch too. Get it and be the envy of your neighboring campers. Especially in the rain.

I have the washer and dryer and like them too. Glad I got them.

Get 2 ACs.

I have the fireplace ('forced option'). The heat strip on it is great. Very handy in the evening. Saves propane.

I have the large double door Norcold fridge. It works well. I'm not sure how I feel about a residential fridge. In my opinion it adds complexity - requires extra batteries and an inverter. Looks like you would need a genny if you want to boondock at all with one. Of course Norcold does not exactly have a spotless reputation either. So I am officially on the fence.

Suggest getting the factory option Mor/Ryde pinbox as it works great. And also any possible suspension/axle upgrades. I have a Hensley 5th wheel air hitch in my truck and it's the cat's meow.

Get good tires one way or another. Mine came with the infamous Tow Max tires and they lasted exactly 1 year before starting to blow. I would not accept a heavy 5th wheel with these tires. Or maybe go straight to Discount Tire for replacements and sell the virtually new OEM tires on Craig's List.

As far as your budget goes -

I ordered my rig from a large high volume 'wholesale' dealership near Cincinnati even though I lived in Florida at the time.

- The disadvantage - I have no local dealer. (but since I full time there is no such thing as a local dealer for me).

- The advantage - I bought the rig for 35-40% off MSRP.

I used seedealercost.com to find out both invoice as well as MSRP for my chosen rig and it's options. No need to register at the site. Just click on rec vehicles and go. Then just add your zip code.

I found out that Heartland had a FACTORY 'secret options list' for my rig. I did end up ordering a few items off it. So you might ask is you decide on a Heartland model. I know this sounds crazy but it's absolutely true.

If I was to add one thing, it would be disk brakes. I've not had any problems but it sure would be nice if the RV manufacturers joined the 21st century in the brakes department.

On edit - My 35 ft rig has a GVW of 14,000 pounds. If you're looking at 38-40 ft fivers, then in my .02 opinion, you should be looking at a long bed dually diesel truck from your favorite brand.

Tim

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
MC9 wrote:
I wouldn't waste five minutes of my time planning ahead. You'll see.

Please do explain your comment.
Thanks!

SWAG, there has been a lot of mergers and failures in the RV world the last 8 years.
What is a great firm today, could be owned by someone else, that is milking the name, or simply gone.

A possible example is Sunnybrook, while I haven't looked at a new production unit, I have heard a number of long-time owners say that Winnie has reduced the quality.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
38 to 40' 5er, you will need a 1 ton dually to handle the trailer within ratings for the truck...forget the SRW truck.

Other things to look for for a 4 season unit are:
Two A/C units, I like heat pumps on both and forget the useless fireplace.
Dual pane (Thermopane) windows.
Radiant barrier
MCD solar/blackout roller shades

Additionally, if you can get by with a queen bed, go that route. The king takes up too much floor space and many units can can barely walk around the king mattress. On the mattress, upgrade to a sleep number or a memory foam.

Get a 2" receiver hitch on the back for a bike rack.

I prefer a residential refrigerator with an inverter, larger batteries and a solar charger.

Get an air ride pin box.

DO NOT accept the Trailer Air Lippert suspension. It is worth the upgrade to get a Mor/Ryde IS (independent suspension) and disc brakes or at least over size drum brakes.

Upgrade the axles and wheels to 17.5" with H rated tires. Goodyear G114 is a good tire.

It is a good idea to get the generator prep package if you ever intend to use a generator.

You can also get a better and higher quality used trailer that is 2 to 4 years old for a lot better deal. This way you can step up and look at Mobil/Elite Suites (DRV), Excel, NuWa, etc.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Big Country...It's been fairly reliable, my big issues have been with the suspension, tires and exterior cosmetics. Everything on it has faded and changed colors except the siding. Front and rear caps turned white and became dull, required painting, wheel skirts turned brown and blistered, had to replace, jacks are rusted, steps were rusted required repainting. This trailer has been stored out of the weather and only used down South in the Winter. My next round will be a Cedar Creek. Similar price range, more equipment and their options are WAY cheaper. Residential fridge $550.00 with 4 batteries, Heartland residential fridge $2250. with 2 batteries, Level up $2450.oo Heartland Level up $3650.00 CC has Lazy Boy recliners Heartland has no name recliners that start to die after a couple years of use. (part-time use) CC has Goodyear G614 tires standard. Heartland offers them as an option at $1325.00. Getting the message? CC has 7,000# axles standard no need to pay for another upgrade. CC also has independent valves for each slide out, individual shuts off for all facets std, tank heaters std. The list goes on. Pay the same but get WAY more for your money. Plus you can add a second year of factory warranty for $250.00. Heartland won't even offer that.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

scrapperlila
Explorer
Explorer
We just ordered our Big Country from the Hershey show. It was an easy decision after walking through some of the competitor rigs.

We are both retired now and our style of camping is about to change as well. Here we go...

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
A Big Horn will do a great job for your use. But most Big Horn floorplans are pretty heavy and will require a diesel 1 ton with dual rear wheels for a tow vehicle.

I've had a 3/4 ton diesel for years and would have liked to have a Big Horn or Big Country. But I wasn't going to trade vehicles just because I'd like to have a washer/dryer. We got a Grand Design Reflection bunkhouse and are very satisfied.