cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road King TowMaster STR tires on Alpine 5th Wheel

rayrbrooks
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Keystone Alpine 5er in January of 12. At about 8400 miles, we blew a tire. I thought that I had hit something on the road, but with a blow out, who knows. About 300 miles later, the other wheel on that side blew, again, no reason why. On my way back from having the damage from the last blowout fixed, I blew a third tire, one on the other side.
The tires are Roadmaster TowMax STR. These were the origional equipment on this rig.
My question is: Is anybody else having this problem with these tires?
2012 F250 Lariat Diesel
2012 Keystone Alpine 3600
Ray, Kay, and Reba. Reba is a 2yr old Australian Shepard that is learning about traveling in an RV
19 REPLIES 19

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP simply needs to do a better job of looking after those high quality manufacturer recommended tires that the builder went to all the costly engineering and superior quality design to spec out for your use. He obviously did not check his tire inflations and ran 3 of his 4 tires low on air causing an operator induced failure due to overheating his under-inflated tires contributing to the blowouts.

Oh wait! :S Wrong cut and paste message, That one is what we keep hearing from the ST tire proponents.!:R

IMHO
Replace the junk dealership delivery tires that the manufacturers put on. Install quality tires that meet or exceed your axle ratings, I don't think we have been told your axle ratings yet so it's premature to make a recommendation of a specific tire.
Did you know they put on the same lowest cost bidder tire on park models that never move after delivery to site that they put on highway coaches such as your?
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow!!! It seems that CKNSLS has been drinking a little too much of the cool-aid.

Let's see here, the first one blew for some unknown reason, then the second one on the same side blew(could have been influenced by the first) and then a third on the other side blew. It's pretty obvious that the tires are not up to the task. Pretty well substantiated by the OP, no second hand reporters. OH, and the OP indicated that these are the STR version.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
LostinAZ wrote:
Keystone puts junk ST trires on their 5th wheels. Get rid of them immediately and switch to LT tires.

Please show me a link where the NEW STR tires have not performed.

I am waiting.

It is pretty clear that the OP says that 3 out of 4 of the STR tires failed on his rig. What more do you need? I would rate a 75% failure rate as having not preformed.

Keith

All I am saying is one could have potentially blew out due to a road hazard and then the same side on the tire that was left was overloaded. WE DON'T KNOW...it's a another unsubstantiated claim unless the tire was sent back. Isn't it?

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
CKNSLS wrote:
LostinAZ wrote:
Keystone puts junk ST trires on their 5th wheels. Get rid of them immediately and switch to LT tires.

I am waiting.

It is pretty clear that the OP says that 3 out of 4 of the STR tires failed on his rig. What more do you need? I would rate a 75% failure rate as having not preformed.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

therink
Explorer
Explorer
This thread is going nowhere.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

hanger3281
Explorer
Explorer
ST stands for STupid, but I'm getting smarter.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
LostinAZ wrote:

I am waiting.
Maybe you should start by reading the original post...Your waiting can then be over...

One tire blew out due to a potential road hazard. All the weight then landed on the other tire on the same side. A little later that tire blew. The existing tire was handling double the weight that it was designed for. Where does this point to a design problem or a inferior product?

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
CKNSLS wrote:
LostinAZ wrote:

I am waiting.
Maybe you should start by reading the original post...Your waiting can then be over...
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
rayrbrooks wrote:
We purchased a Keystone Alpine 5er in January of 12. At about 8400 miles, we blew a tire. I thought that I had hit something on the road, but with a blow out, who knows. About 300 miles later, the other wheel on that side blew, again, no reason why. On my way back from having the damage from the last blowout fixed, I blew a third tire, one on the other side.
The tires are Roadmaster TowMax STR. These were the origional equipment on this rig.

All ST ties have a history of early to very early failures when being operated close to their maximum load capacity. ST tire manufacturers will tell you that their design can/will degrade as much as one third as early as three years.

When given a little more load capacity reserves those tires will last out to their estimated life expectancy. On your axles with a full load they will not.

After a few recalls for inaccurate certification labels, Keystone has started to get it right. I’m pretty sure you have 7000# axles that have been limited to somewhere around 6750#. A quick check of the information on your certification label will confirm that. Here is a picture I took of a Montana’s certification label. It’s in your weight range and the GAWRs are 6750#.

Click Here

Your best replacement options are three fold. Go to a LRF 16” ST tire, Go to a LRG 16” LT tire, or Go to a 17.5” medium duty truck tire, LRH or LRJ.

FastEagle

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
LostinAZ wrote:

I am waiting.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Seriously?

Just do a Search for ST tire, ST tires blowout, ST vs LT, etc. Volumes have been written about the Chinese-made ST tires. The consensus by a majority(with a very few dissenters) is that the 16" E-rated ST tires are not sufficiently well built to use on heavy 5th wheels.

Towmaster STR now has the new nylon cap for better heat resistance. This change was made in the last 18 months or so. As always, check the load range of the tires to make sure they are adequate.

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer

wacdmc
Explorer
Explorer
rayrbrooks wrote:

Here's the result of my 2012 Copper Canyon with Tow Max 235/80's with a blowout while on I40: $4400 and still not repaired (hole through floor, inside wall, water heater, gas line etc).

About 5400 miles on the tires with meticulously maintained 80psi air pressure.

I will be switching to LT's. These Tow Max tires are junk.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Very common.
looking at your sig shows a Keystone Alpine 3600. Keystone web says the trailer has a 15k-15.5k GVWR with ST235/80-16 E at around 3500 lbs per tire. IMO your trailer has 7k axles.

Some folks move to a Goodyear G614 LT235/85-16 G load range at 3750 lbs capacity.

Some also moveup to 17.5 " wheels and commercial grade LT tires in the 3500-4000 lb range depending on actual tire size.

Some folks are using the Sailun S637 all steel commercial grade LT235/85-16 G load range at 3750 lbs capacity. There is a current thread on these tires on one of our forums. Maybe someone can link you to it.

I wouldn't put any brand of ST tire back on a trailer that heavy.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides