cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof qwik fix?

NorthwestBound
Explorer
Explorer
So the wife and i are traveling now, currently on the Oregon coast. Parked near Tillamook now. Yesterday i discovered something was sticking up along the edge of the roof. So i climbed up and discovered the caulking around the shower skylight was peeling up.

Looks like it was sealed before with alot of caulk and maybe eternabond tape. Ill try to get a pic tomorrow.

So, im nowhere near an rv supply store and the local used rv dealer/repair shop is quoting $250 but cant get to it till next week.

Is there something i can put on it temporarily till i can get somewhere to do a proper repair or recoat the rubber roof with roof coating
13 REPLIES 13

NorthwestBound
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, looks bad, but serves its purpose for now.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well the reason the shop was going $250 most likely was labor to peel up the first bad repair and do it right, both look terrible!
Putting the sealer over bad leaking patch, will not last. The correct repair would be to peel up all the tape and sealer, then reseal with self leveling sealer.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NorthwestBound
Explorer
Explorer
Before:

After:

I think ill do the entire roof with this stuff!

NorthwestBound
Explorer
Explorer
The maint guy here at the rv park gave me enough Gaco to do a temp fix. Same stuff he did his whole roof with. And gonna loan me a ladder!

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I used a GACO Product on some plywood I put down on a exterior application, did the correct prep and dealt with the seams. What I wanted was a non-skid surface. It worked good until about 18 months old, then I had problems. Probably from the expansion/contraction of the plywood from the seasons. I'm not one that would use it for an RV roof, but it would make a temporary fix.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Sunnyside42
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I'd cover the area with heavy 5mil - 8mil plastic and secure it with duct tape. Right after that, I'd make an appointment with a trusted RV repair place back home.

The plastic and duct tape should keep the water out for a week or so.

Enjoy your trip, and know that your RV tech will be waiting on ya when you get home. ๐Ÿ™‚

NorthwestBound
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, tillamook rv. Thats the place i went. The live-in maint guy here said he used Gaco to do his whole roof. I found it at a local builders supply store, $75 a 5 gallon bucket. Which sounds great to me, but i dont have everything i need such as a ladder, scrapers, pressure washer etc, with me.

The rv shop did have the "web seal" type of eternabond, but it has a cloth backing instead of the white stuff i see in the videos. So im not sure if its the same stuff or not. I would think that if its the wrong stuff that it would be a pain to remove to put on the right stuff.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago when I snapped off the Jack Antenna leaving a hole in the roof I used a ziplock freezer bag and duct tape as a temporary fix till I got home and replaced it.

Maybe where you are parked someone knows of a mobile RV repair you can contact.

Googling I found Tillamook RV which does RV parts, sales and service. Their photos show a decent selection of stuff so I bet they have self leveling Dicor and Externabond
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Our local Wally World carry's small packages of eternabond tape. You might check there.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
Is it just the caulk peeling up and only around the shower skylight? if so $250 is grand theft auto. if your rubber roof is peeling up that is a different story.
bumpy

:h
Having not even seen a picture of the situation pretty bold statement !

That would cover about two hours labor and materials, that would cover correctly removing old repair and putting down a correct repair.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Is it just the caulk peeling up and only around the shower skylight? if so $250 is grand theft auto. if your rubber roof is peeling up that is a different story.
bumpy

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Caulking is just the 2nd line of defense against water intrusion.

In your case I would remove the loose material and buy a tube of self leveling Dicor (or similar product) and add it over the screw heads and flange.

The RV service shop can tell you what you need to do till they can fix it right.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Fishhawker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm At the disadvantage of not being able to see exactly what your situation is

But for a temp fix
I would suggest cleaning up the peeling area to the point where tape can stick
Then apply Gorilla tape , available at Wally and most any hardware store

BTW
You folks are in a beautiful part of the country
We enjoyed our time in Oregon