cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite TV or Cable

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
As we start to look to be traveling more and longer trips, we are wondering if we should invest in the Satellite TV for the RV. We already have Direct TV at home and would be easy to bring the receivers with us. Just would need a portable satellite. Seen some on amazon for ~$200. So do I buy one or not? If we did not already have Satellite TV, I'm guessing it would be more expensive. If we decide to drop the Satellite TV, then we are stuck with Cable TV. I assume most campsites have Cable. Satellite TV would just be practical when cable is not available.
41 REPLIES 41

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
One other point about campground cable. Without the cable box, you will only get analog standard definition (SD) channels. As I understand it, the cable boxes are unique to each CATV provider, so, unlike satellite, you can't take your cable box with you.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Most campgrounds don't have cable. The ones that do usually have very limited selection of channels.

Once you learn how, it's pretty easy to set up a dish manually. It rarely takes me more than 5 min.

Yes, you do need a clear view of the southern sky but the backwoods type campgrounds are the least likely to have cable anyway.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winegard Travler about 1600 dollars installed. Limited use if you park in trees. Good ground antenna and tripod about 150 dollars useable almost amywhere with 100 feet of coax. Many of us have both. I do and end up using my ground based dish probably 80% of the time due to trees. My Travler is automatic, but with the right tools, my ground antenna sets up in minutes.
BTW we have the wireless Genie system for home use and all I do is take one slave, the video bridge and my Genie with it. I have duplicate remote controls for the TVs in my RV. Takes some time to get the cabling correct to use either antenna, but it was worth the effort to me.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Most private RV parks do have cable to some extent. Most public campgrounds do not. So it makes a lot of difference on where you normally stay.

We have Dish at home and the month to month Dish plan in the RV. But often as not we use the RV park cable rather than setting up the satellite, especially if only staying a day or two. With a portable satellite antenna and 50' cable you can usually find an opening thru the trees even in fairly heavily wooded campsites.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Bellpr wrote:

can you give me an example of an Automatic dish so I know what I'm looking for? thanks.

Some portable options Here
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

taken
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem with using satellite is if you usually camp in wooded campgrounds. Most places we camp in the northeast have no view of the sky from a lot of their sites.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well we have cable at home so invested in a Tailgater and Dish service. We get both HD and standard reception. The tailgater is auto align, I typicality place on roof of 5er, out of the way and less likely to be messed with.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Bellpr wrote:
KCerling wrote:
Most campgrounds do not have cable. If you go Direct TV get an automatic dish, much more enjoyable. But it is fun to watch people trying to manually adjust their dish.

can you give me an example of an Automatic dish so I know what I'm looking for? thanks.

See my post above - the Winegard Traveler SK-SWM3 for a roof mounted automatic HD DirecTV dish.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
KCerling wrote:
Most campgrounds do not have cable. If you go Direct TV get an automatic dish, much more enjoyable. But it is fun to watch people trying to manually adjust their dish.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Bellpr wrote:
If we decide to drop the Satellite TV, then we are stuck with Cable TV. I assume most campsites have Cable.

That might be a bad assumption. Probably significantly less than 50%, based on our travels.

A portable DirecTV dish and tripod shouldn't be hard to come by. I gave ours away when my wife bought me a VuQube 1000 dish for my birthday a few years ago. With the receiver from your house, you should be all set if your 5th wheel is pre-wired for satellite (and most are these days).

Be aware, though, that with DirecTV you're going to be relegated to SD (standard definition) service unless you're willing to set up a Slimline portable dish or use a HD roofmount dish such as the Winegard Traveler SK-SWM3.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not assume most sites have cable, the opposite is the case. Cheapest is what you mentioned, take receiver, depends on if you want/need SD or HD for the dish.

KCerling
Explorer
Explorer
2002 Phaeton
2007 Jeep
Retired and loving it