cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short bed hitch ?

armyvet
Explorer
Explorer
I've ordered a new F250 short bed with the 5th wheel underbed hitch prep package. I've towed a 5th wheel many years with a short bed without a slider. I'm getting a new Reese Elite series hitch for the new truck and thinking whether to slide or not. It is almost a $1000 price difference between the two. I know with the nonslider that I have to be careful backing and can not turn 90 degrees. Would appreciate the experiences an opinion of other short bed owners in this regard. Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
A little late to the party but I have had a slider for 8 years and have used it about 10 times. About half of those I don't know what I would have done without it. The other half I slid it back (manual) just in case. It seems the longer the 5er the more chance of using it (at least in my case, most of those uses had been since we bought the 35 footer). There are some state parks we go to where all the trees are in the wrong place!

Next time around I'm going to consider an auto slider. I'm a "cover all the bases" kind of guy so take that into account 🙂
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greene728 wrote:
You know, its kinda like a 4-wheel drive. Its better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it. I too have a short bed and a slider. I have used it one time and that's it. But the peace of mind knowing its there should a get in a tight spot was worth the extra cost for me. Not to mention its cheaper than a busted front cap on my rig or a big dent in the cab of my truck.
Just my opinion though.

X2
There was a time I was glad I had the autoslide, there was a turnaround at the end of the campground that was very tight and only way out. If I did't have it I would have hit the cab for sure. With the autoslide you don't need to worry about remembering to get out and slide the hitch.
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
armyvet wrote:
milo wrote:
armyvet wrote:
I've towed a 5th wheel many years with a short bed without a slider. I'm getting a new Reese Elite series hitch for the new truck and thinking whether to slide or not. Thanks

My question is ... If you've towed for years without a slider why are you concerned about one now?

Although I have not had a slider, I have been in a few situations where a slider would have been handy. Since I'm getting a new hitch, I was considering a slider and wanted to know the experiences of others. It never hurts to have too much information.

Alrighty then ... I was just asking ... I've only pulled tag-a-longs for 35+ years. Been doing tons of reading and looking as DW wants to possibly move over to a 5er, so as you state "It never hurts to have too much information".
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

armyvet
Explorer
Explorer
milo wrote:
armyvet wrote:
I've towed a 5th wheel many years with a short bed without a slider. I'm getting a new Reese Elite series hitch for the new truck and thinking whether to slide or not. Thanks

My question is ... If you've towed for years without a slider why are you concerned about one now?

Although I have not had a slider, I have been in a few situations where a slider would have been handy. Since I'm getting a new hitch, I was considering a slider and wanted to know the experiences of others. It never hurts to have too much information.

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
armyvet wrote:

Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

armyvet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. I've decided to go with a B&W 3300 nonsliding hitch. The B&W has a has 4" of front to back adjustment in the bed. That should help in a short bed. It's also rated more at 20K.
Seems like a better hitch and the price is must less that Reese.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Many new trailers allow one to turn 88 degrees with a short bed and no slider. I have never needed to turn shorter than that.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greene728 wrote:
You know, its kinda like a 4-wheel drive. Its better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it. I too have a short bed and a slider. I have used it one time and that's it. But the peace of mind knowing its there should a get in a tight spot was worth the extra cost for me. Not to mention its cheaper than a busted front cap on my rig or a big dent in the cab of my truck.
Just my opinion though.

I share your thoughts. I actually own the Signature Series hitch in both slider, and non slide version. I had a Sidewinder with the fixed hitch on my previous fiver, I bought the pre-assembled sliding hitch I have now a few months ago new. To the OP you can shop for new Signature Series for less money than the Elite Series, then use the Elite Series feet for the pucks. My sliding hitch was a little over 1K new, fixed was $750, don't be fooled by marketing names, there is no difference in these hitches. These are very nice hitches though.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
You could also look at a revolution or sidewinder pin box. Then no need for a slider no matter the shape of the front cap.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on your 5er. Newer model years have recessed front corners. Older model years tend to have squared off corners. I drive a short bed F-350 with a 2014 Bighorn and a Hensley Trailersaver TS3 air bag hitch. No issues maneuvering in some very tight spaces. I see no need to be able to turn tighter than my short box and non-slider hitch currently allow. Good luck.

Lakeside

armyvet
Explorer
Explorer
Both good points, I do have an extended pin box and the
fw cap is slightly rounded at the corners which helps with
The short bed,

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Just my opinion though.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The standard Reese Elite for FW prep kit, will be fairly close to the cab. IDK if the Reese itself, has any forward or back adjustment.

I have a 13 250 6' 9" bed, and have no trouble turning/backing without a slider. I think it is mostly dependent, on the shape of the FW front cap. Mine is rounded, made to work with a short bed.

Jerry