cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should we buy used 5th wheel

Gloria_E
Explorer
Explorer
True newbie to 5th wheels. Looking to retire. Should we buy used and if so - how old ? What to look or ask for? Desperately looking for some guidance in purchase of our retirement home ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you
34 REPLIES 34

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
goducks10 wrote:
Yes buy used. RV's are depreciation money pits. They all lose their value fast. My guess is the bad reputation for used ones comes from all the horror stories about all the problems people have. Mostly from neglect but also from poor quality parts and assembly. Buying one thats 2-3 years old and in great shape will save you many $1,000's. Just look at the prices of used compared to new.

Biggest issue that I've had in looking at nice, used, rigs recently, is the inflated values people place on them. Talked to a guy selling a used '16 Jayco Eagle HT at $41k, with $40k being his "drop dead" price. The guy acted surprised when I told him that I could buy a very similar new '17 model for not much more, but wouldn't budge off his price. IMO, the guy's going to be sitting on it for a while, or some sucker will come along and pay =way= too much for it. Meanwhile, there's a dealer selling one that's better equipped for $12k less.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes buy used. RV's are depreciation money pits. They all lose their value fast. My guess is the bad reputation for used ones comes from all the horror stories about all the problems people have. Mostly from neglect but also from poor quality parts and assembly. Buying one thats 2-3 years old and in great shape will save you many $1,000's. Just look at the prices of used compared to new.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Gloria E wrote:
True newbie to 5th wheels. Looking to retire. Should we buy used and if so - how old ? What to look or ask for? Desperately looking for some guidance in purchase of our retirement home ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you

Posting without reading ahead...

No problems in buying used and, if you find the right one, can save you a lot of money as well as headaches, a$$-u-ming it's been well-maintained and the inevitable problems have been properly fixed. Shoot, I saw a 1938 travel trailer that has been stored in a climate controlled shop that sold for over $100k at auction. It was only used about 8-10 times, then stored. Everything was in excellent condition and worked as it should. You find something like that, and you're golden.

As far as looking, PLEASE find the FW you like, then see what it will take to tow it. Most common mistake is buying the truck first, then finding out that you need a semi to tow the FW you want. ๐Ÿ™‚

Don't be afraid to hire a professional RV inspection service, either, as that's well-spent money, IMO, especially if you're new to RVing or have little knowledge of what to look for.

#1 issue to look for is water damage =anywhere= in the coach. It's the biggest killer of an otherwise fine RV and it doesn't stop, even when the leak is fixed. The original damage can "creep" and start causing other problems, especially if it causes structural damage. Don't forget that leaks can be caused by external factors, damaged roof and bad caulking around all the "stuff" that extends out of the exterior, window and slide seals, too. Then there are internal leaks, caused by faulty plumbing.

These are just a few things that come to mind and I'm sure all the others have posted good things to watch for.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Lost_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting close to retirement and we started considering RV'ng about three years ago. We bought a used 2002 Prowler Fifth wheel that was in real good condition and at a good price. We weren't sure if we were even going to like Rv'ng and didn't want to spend a lot of money on a unit if we didn't like it.
Well, yes...we love it!!! Just bought a Primetime Crusader. retiring in 7 more months, and can't wait to do some extensive traveling.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, it won't hurt to buy a used one, find out if you really like it. Plus, you can make a bunch of "newbie" mistakes on your used one, before upgrading. And believe me, we made plenty.
The Lost Travellers
Bruce and Connie

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Another issue. One thing I noticed over my years of reading on here is that people would say that many of these rigs are not intended to live in. I bought my FW from an older couple who only used it a couple times a summer to go with their grand kids. It was in excellent condition for 14 yr old. During our first 3 years we have been in it for 21 months. When I looked it over the bottom of the slide was like new with minimal witness markers where the slide travels on 5 rollers. I started noticing the travel path of the rollers more and more and it has now pushed up into the osb bottom of the slide enough that it's dragging on the bottom rubber lip. I'm going to use aluminum sheet to give the rollers a solid path to roll on. This is what they are talking about when they say not designed to live in. I didn't do anything wrong with the rig, I travel easy and slow down for any rough areas as best I can. Like most stuff on lower or mid level RV they design everything at the minimum and I exceed that. You cant run a piece of plastic fabric covered osb over a 1 inch diameter roller that many times without the roller eating itself into the osb. It's also strange that it's worse in the position where the side is out (inner edge of slide) instead of the outer edge where all the stress of rolling down the road is. I put far more miles on it in 7 months than they did in 14 years. Be handy or have a lot of money is often said on here too.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We agree with every one else. We bought our TT new and had to take it back to the dealer for warranty issues before we even used it, When we did take it out on our second trip... water pump failure, again warranty issue. Kept it for 9 yrs. including across the country twice. Bought our 5'th wheel used 3yrs. ago. Not a problem with it at all. Like was stated, if you don't know anything about campers or 5'ers, get some one who does to inspect the unit before purchase, esp. if you buy used. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Gloria E wrote:

As everyone has said " you need to find some one experienced with 5th wheels or join an RV club like your Local Elks RV Club where you will find many folks willing to share their experience and knowledge as you begin your search. In your situation, I would take a perspective 5th. wheel to a trusted RV shop to do a complete evaluation of the rig to make sure there are no problems. If there are problems, get a quote as to what it would cost to fix the issues. This will probably cost you $200 but it could be the best $200 you ever spent.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I always buy used, always have and if I ever wanted to change our rig I would buy used again. Making smart decisions on what to buy and investing the time to maintain your truck and trailer to a high degree has always seemed prudent to me. Whether it be be boats, trailer, trucks or motorcycles my overall cost of ownership has always been low. If cost is not an issue for you then go new and enjoy the large range of choices. Buying used limits your choices and may require learning to like a less than perfect floor plan. Also, I do my own work and maintenance. If I had to pay to have stuff done then maybe the differential between used an new would change.

There has been a progression in fifth wheels and trucks over recent years to get tall. Sometimes the used trailer/new truck combo will not work due to height differences. Like kstanton we bought a used Domani. We love the trailer but I don't see it fitting a new truck very well which would limit the pool of future buyers. Good luck and enjoy the search.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I highly advise that you buy your first RV used.
After that you'll be able to get a better idea of what you need and want. Then buy new if you like.
Don't buy anything with a leak or stains in the ceiling. Cant tell you how many people come on here exclaiming the seller told them they had fixed the leak, when they hadn't.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
If you buy used be very careful of water damage as it can sometimes be difficult to spot. If you buy new go over it very carefully to look for potential leaks. You can replace a refrigerator or furnace but water damage often times can scrap an RV because it's too expensive to repair. Dont listen to sales people and do your own research as to what truck you need. If you were to buy a truck first without having a rig yet, buy a one ton.

This is all good advice. Water damage is the biggest issue with buying used and often very hard to detect. I bought a used TT and 2 months later found that part of the roof and a wall were rotten from water leaks. This was a huge repair.
Do your homework regarding your tow vehicle. A lot of people buy and use a inadequate tow vehicle for a 5th wheel. IMO, there are not any 1/2 ton trucks out there that makes a good tow vehicle for the average 5th wheel.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy used be very careful of water damage as it can sometimes be difficult to spot. If you buy new go over it very carefully to look for potential leaks. You can replace a refrigerator or furnace but water damage often times can scrap an RV because it's too expensive to repair. Dont listen to sales people and do your own research as to what truck you need. If you were to buy a truck first without having a rig yet, buy a one ton.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our #6 trailer. Normally someones first unit is not the one they want because of the lack of knowledge in RVing. When you buy a trailer you will learn what you like and dislike about a particular unit. No problem with purchasing used but being a newbee you should have a professional inspection done or you could possibly end up with trailer with many problems.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
New or used depends on whether you are willing to spend money to avoid personal inconvenience. Do you do your own maintenance or pay someone else to do it. Any RV requires frequent maintenance and occasional repair.

My opinion is you are better off financially buying used if you can do some of your own repairs and all of your own maintenance.

I believe a used RV has had most of the problems worked out but maybe not and that is why it is for sale. It may have a problem that the seller does not want to pay to have fixed.

My personal example was a used RV's refrigerator. In the walk through it seemed to be working fine, however soon after it was a $1500 replacement or some of my time, $100, and considerable inconvenience. BTW $1500 was for a rebuilt replacement installed not the $2500 for a new one.

On the other hand my neighbor and good friend bought a new 5er and has had to take it back for several warranty issues. He lives in it for months at a time at remote work sites and after every trip has some kind of non-warranty repair needed also. Generally, minor stuff but he has already ripped the roof fabric somewhere along the line and needed that fixed at considerable cost (he does not do repairs). He considers his time more valuable than the cost of paying someone else.

My 5er is now 25 yrs old and is fine for occasional fishing trips and a month or two away from home, but I would not want to full time in it. I would not want to full time in any RV for that matter.

So buy used to start and expect to always spend money regardless of new or used.

Biggest new owner mistake in 5ers is buying a truck that is not adequate to carry the trailers pin weight. I would say the second biggest mistake is getting a 5er with 15 inch instead of 16 inch or larger wheels. Third is buying one what is not suited to your expected use (40ft and want to boonedock in forest service camp sites or 25ft and want to live in it all season in a resort).
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:
I you have the experience to identify and evaluate a 5th wheel. Then buying used is OK. But if you lack the knowledge and don't know what to look for. Or even what you are looking at buy new.
THere are bargains to be found on the used market, there are also plenty of leaking money pits. If you If you have the knowledge you'll be fine.
If you lack the knowledge by new from a reputable dealer.

If you aren't familiar, you can always pay an RV tech a couple hundred to go over the rig (once you think you found a good one). It's not a guarantee but should cover most obvious issues and the cost savings going used will more than make up the cost of the RV tech. Also google RV buying checklists.

There are a surprising number of new units that become money pits or get tied up for months waiting on warranty work, so don't count on buying new eliminating all issues.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I guess first you are going to have to set some goals and plan around them.
Are you looking at full time living in the 5er? Will you also go "home" for several months and then hit the road for just a couple months at a time?
Do you have a specific budget you are trying to stay within?
Are you looking at Boondocking or staying in developed campgrounds?
Are you planning on going to a single destination for months at a time, or travelling frequently?
How much experience do you have with towing?
Are you fairly self sufficient as far as maintenance and repairs, or will you be seeking hired assistance?
Think through all these questions and then narrowing your choices will become a little easier.
Happy Motoring