cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side Wall Ripped/broke while retracting slide-advise needed

omextreme
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this on the Keystone Forum but that forum has less active members so hopefully here is a better place to post.

While retracting my main slide on our 2015 Montana HC the slide started to stall after only moving 10" - 12" inward. I immediately stopped moving the slide and went to investigate the cause of the jam.

While looking at the cables the wall "popped" out and broke away from the frame of the trailer. What appears to have happened is that the jammed slide pulled the wall outward 3", ripping the interior wall and bowing the fiberglass side of the unit.

After looking more closely at the structure failure and I am dissapointed in Keystone on this one. The vertical side wall support was only welded on 1 side to the lower frame. The aluminum tubing tore where it was welded. This location is an EXTREMELY high stress spot since the entire weight of the slide leverages against it.

This area SHOULD have been reinforced with more metal or at least heaver strength aluminum.

Now the question is how should this be properly repaired, It this something you would trust the local shop to handle or should I push for this unit to go back to Keystone and be repaired there?

Thanks
25 REPLIES 25

omextreme
Explorer
Explorer
Not really, just a creaking sound as it stalled. While looking at it it popped really loud, tore 6" instantly, the last 6" tore slowly as I went back to the control panel to release tension...

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Didnt it make some kind of cracking /popping sound when it happened before it went to far for that amount of damage? There must have been some kind of clue that something was wrong before it went that far?
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 2014 Montana HC, and am a bit concerned with what you are saying about that living room slide. At present our 5er is put to bed for a long winters nap, but that main slide seems to have some problems, particularly with cable adjustment and squealing that I'll address in the spring. Mostly, I'm posting to subscribe to see if there is a fix.

Oh and the Montana Owner's Club - there are probably better sites such as here and iRV2

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
We've owned our Montana for three+ years now and I've been an active member of the Montana Owner's Club Forum for the entire time. I've never seen anything like what happened to your unit on it, and just about every possible thing that Keystone can manage to screw up has been posted there. You might try posting on it, but I believe the majority of folks there would tell you to take it back to the factory. http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com/
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the factory is what I'd recommend
Bob

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I would say it depends on your dealer. I have a rV shop that can fix better then the factory. They make sure it does not happen again. However; if it is an average dealer I think I would see about the factory. Definitely a warranty issue.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

omextreme
Explorer
Explorer
dennyida wrote:
I am curious as to what keystone you have. We have a keystone Outback 296FRS and would like to hear your solution to your problem. I would think the factory would repair this for you under warranty. The more I hear of some of the problems with Keystone the more nervous I get. It just seems there is no quality control in the RV camper industry unless you buy a luxury unit, and that in itself is not a guarantee.

Montana High Country. 3 months old!!!

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious as to what keystone you have. We have a keystone Outback 296FRS and would like to hear your solution to your problem. I would think the factory would repair this for you under warranty. The more I hear of some of the problems with Keystone the more nervous I get. It just seems there is no quality control in the RV camper industry unless you buy a luxury unit, and that in itself is not a guarantee.

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
As having a 2015 model, one would hope that you're still under warranty.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the factory for sure. This is going to be a major repair.
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Back to factory!!!!!

They are equipped to handle complete rebuild as needed.....they have the parts and the manufacturing tools on site
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31