cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side with most windows?

cfdwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are shopping for first RV. We are looking at fiver toyhaulers, but we would like to hear from all rv owners...

All of my writing will be referring to the curb side of the rv as the entry side, and also the side where the "camp" is traditionally.

While looking at various RV's, we like how open some feel more than others, and that has a lot to do with how many windows a unit has, and the window's placement. The sofa/dinette slide outs obviously have the largest and most windows, while the kitchen slides have nearly no windows. A few models have a small window over the stove, under the microwave. (Toyhauler models) The models with the most windows are more appealing to us, no matter which side of the RV they are on (sofa/dinette on curb side and kitchen street side or vice versa).

With that being said, do you prefer an RV with the most windows on the curb/"camp" side or the street side?
Do you prefer/like being able to view the campsite from the inside of your rv, or does it even matter or that big of a deal?

Any input is appreciated. We have a list of about 30 toyhaulers that we are narrowing down as we look, and this topic came up this afternoon while looking through a few units. I hope this makes sense.
2018 GMC Denali Dually w/ tow package
B&W 25k Companion Puck
2019 GD Momentum 381M
20 REPLIES 20

drwwicks
Explorer
Explorer
Not searching for a 5th wheel, but Class A, and window placement is Most Important to me. I want a view out on My patio, not the hookups or a neighbor's patio, but my own. So many Class A's seem to have kitchens on curb side and views out the back side (other than from cab area). I just can't imagine buying an RV that doesn't look out on your own patio.

2010 F150 w/5.4
2011 JayFlight 24RKS TT

Our 2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD has 3 large vertical windows on the curb side mid-ships. Long window above the couch on the street side, plus an array if curb side windows in the slides themselves. That and maple real wood makes the interior bright.

%r we just bought has lots of curb side windows, a requirement for us.
2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
We camp with kids, last TH had curb side kitchen and latest one has street side kitchen. We vastly prefer the street side kitchen and overlook our campsite. Works out better for privacy, as many sites we don't even have to draw the shades at night as angled sites often put the street side semi-parallel to the roadway. Also most of the time you are looking at your neighbors hanging out with the windows on the street side.

We will never own another curb side kitchen again. The coach we have now we made a major compromise on the bedroom for the curb side view and no regrets here.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I had hoped for a curbside sofa after my retirement but, alas, it hasn’t come to pass. 😞
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you liked it...buy it!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CC-skipjack
Explorer
Explorer
Not a deal breaker for me, all things considered.
Charlie K
CC-skipjack

2000 Cedar Creek 30RL / 2001 GMC 2500HD

cfdwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm only asking because we walked into a unit and really liked the floor plan, but then this topic came up and made us think twice about other models/units we looked at due to lack of campsite view.
B&W 25k Companion Puck
2019 GD Momentum 381M

cfdwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
We appreciate all the replies, thank you. So far we are leaning towards a curb side sofa setup, with the windows on the camp side and kitchen on street side. Unfortunately the toyhaulers models don't offer much with many windows on both sides, as we (and most) would like. But, it certainly helps to narrow down our choices and "to view" list.

For those of you that wish you had a better view out of your curb side vs the street side (given a "one or the other " option) would that be a deal breaker on your next rv purchase?

Thanks for all the input!!
B&W 25k Companion Puck
2019 GD Momentum 381M

CC-skipjack
Explorer
Explorer
My current rig has the windows primarily on the street side. I would really prefer them on the camp side. When possible we leave the door open to have a better connection with what is going on outside on the 'camp' side.
Charlie K
CC-skipjack

2000 Cedar Creek 30RL / 2001 GMC 2500HD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Door side, as noted by other posters. Only TH that turned me on was the AMP385. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at them all.

Decided on the Momentum because:

Dinette AND extra sofa on the 395. Most of the other units with similar floor plans made you choose one or the other. They also had an odd placement so if you went with the sofa it didn't line up with the other seating in the room. It was just kind of there but not part of either of the kitchen or the living room.

Large windows, large tall slides and continuous roof. Makes a huge difference with the feel of the interior volume.

Did I mention large windows? Well let me say it again, they are huge, gorgeous windows. Really makes the space feel open and airy. We ordered with dual pane windows as well to make sure we had the best heat and sound insulation.

We wanted to have to have two toilets.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We have kids and would greatly prefer having more windows on the curb/camp side. As it stands now, we usually have the door hanging open because that's our ONLY camp-side window in the living/kitchen area. To compound it, the door only opens to 90-degrees due to a strut (though there is NOTHING in the way).

BUT- our non-camp side has a ton of windows. Even though we see our neighbors, we still like opening them.

As mentioned, windows are a huge heat transfer.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Not searching for a 5th wheel, but Class A, and window placement is Most Important to me. I want a view out on My patio, not the hookups or a neighbor's patio, but my own. So many Class A's seem to have kitchens on curb side and views out the back side (other than from cab area). I just can't imagine buying an RV that doesn't look out on your own patio.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Less windows the better for us.
Were old time campers and have found more windows = more heat gain and heat loss when camping in hot weather and cold weather.
When we started camping in the '60/'70s we also wanted lots of windows till we decided why bother as the curtains were closed most of the time anyway.

During the day were out doing something or looking at local attractions and only sleep in the trailer at nite....with the curtains closed.
Lots of windows don't do any good for those that like to rv in a crowded parking lot (rv park) where all you see is the side of someones rv on either side/front and rear.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to know how it feels to live in a cave while RV'ing?

Step into any high end 6 figure Class A!!

I traveled in my friends to an event when my RV was in the shop, and I could not wait to get out of it. It's like a long dark tube. Minimal windows and they are narrow and near the top of the coach.

Nope, all the marble, granite, Italian leather and fancy cabinets can't make up for being able to see out AND have the sunshine come in!

I need windows and lots of them. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.