cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skylight Leaking

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
Noticed when I hooked the 5th wheel up there was dried dirty water spot in shower. dollars sized and when I looked up there was same dirty spots on lower metal rim inside trim piece of skylight.

I got on the roof and dicor is great, but skylight has small hairline cracks in corners of clear part.

Question is has anyone else been through this and if so can i treat the
cracks or is this a replace the skylight type deal?
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab
12 REPLIES 12

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
Camping now but when I get home I will replace it. The YouTube videos show step by step how to repair it.

Thanks all,
Yellow Lab

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar issue with my skylight over the kitchen. Corners cracked pretty bad and was leaking onto the counter. I always carry a tube of dicor so I used that to seal it temporarily. Once I got back home, I measured the old skylight while still in place and ordered a new smoke polycarbonate skylight and not one of those useless UV eating vinyl ones. Do it right, there are Youtube videos that step by step, just Google it. Took about hour and a half to uninstall old skylight then clean it right, and install with the right stuff. There are many who say not to use Dicor, but it is recommended to use Surebond SB-140 and finalize it with Eternabond tape as I used the 4" white. It made for a very clean final install of the skylight with the tape. I am in the process of ordering a new PolyCarbonate skylight for above the shower now, and will use the same process before I have the same issue. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
I used a narrow strip of Eternabond to patch a crack in my skylight.
I stop drilled the crack before applying the E/bond. Later, I coated the skylight with rubber roof coating.

But, if the corners are cracking, it may be best to replace the light.

Had the same problem this year and my fix was the same. Took 30 minutes to fix and if I notice moisture again I’ll fully replace it. Did a similar fix on my fathers 2010 KZ in 2012 and it lasted till he traded it last fall.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would replace it.

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
It is stress cracks on corners. just on the corners so I am sure they tightened them to much. old camper went coast to coast and never had an issue but it also had flatter roof.
Yellow Lab

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
filrupmark, how do you know this part was manufactured in China? Or is this this general China bashing?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

path1
Explorer
Explorer
When I replaced mine I had a question about bending skylight a little for roof crown. In the conversation with skylight manufacture he mention using fender washers to dissipate the stress from screw head size, to use fender washers. And to soak fender washers in vinegar first. So sealant sticks better to them. So far so good but only 3 years on them.

My skylight is also uncommon size. Went next size up and worked great.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
It's that high quality Chinese plastic .
😞
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Had this problem only way to fix is replace.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog is right, three years is too soon. However gbopp’s suggestion of eternabond tape if the corners are not cracked is good. Inspect every couple of months.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
Jeez three years old.
Yellow Lab

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I used a narrow strip of Eternabond to patch a crack in my skylight.
I stop drilled the crack before applying the E/bond. Later, I coated the skylight with rubber roof coating.

But, if the corners are cracking, it may be best to replace the light.