cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out circuit breaker trips

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2011 Montana with three slide outs, This morning when the slide outs were coming in the circuit breaks kept tripping, I finally got the slide outs in and the battery seems to be okay so could the breaker be going bad?
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
25 REPLIES 25

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
It's the breaker. I had the same thing happen with mine, just the way you mention, better with plug in power. Replace the breaker.

If it continues, replace it again. My 1st replacement breaker was bad.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Dixie Flyer wrote:
....... The thing that puzzles me is when the camper is hooked to the power cord the slides come in and out as they should, that is most of the time. However when running off the battery the circuit breaker trips often..........

The pump motor is a very high current device. And motors will pull more amps when running at less than the design voltage. So it is possible that when the battery voltage is dipping below 12 volts the current is increasing enough to cause the breaker to trip. Whereas when on shore power the higher voltage, and subsequent lower amps, does not do the same.
Possibly your battery is starting to get weak. Have not measured my battery voltage during slide travel to see what it does. But I can run my slides in/out on battery with no problem. I replace my breaker about 4 yrs ago.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the help. The new circuit breakers are installed and the slides are working fine.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bussman is the brand circuit breaker I bought. The thing that puzzles me is when the camper is hooked to the power cord the slides come in and out as they should, that is most of the time. However when running off the battery the circuit breaker trips often. Today when I get the new breakers I will install them and see what happens.

Wife Sue

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Okay, here's the deal. I ordered two 50-amp auto-reset circuit breakers from Amazon.com that will arrive tomorrow. I will install them and then test the system. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Do you know the Brand that you were getting from Amazon?

I went to a local auto parts store Not a Chain and got a 50 amp auto reset for $3.89, BUSS brand, fixed my issue.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
I second the suggestion to join (free) the Montana Owners site. This discussion was on that site a year or so ago when our slides did the same thing. The concensis was that the breakers trip the first X# of times at the same voltage and ampreage. At some point the bimetal piece that causes the breaker to open weakens slightly. From that point on the bimetal strip gets weaker and breakers will open sooner and sooner.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, here's the deal. I ordered two 50-amp auto-reset circuit breakers from Amazon.com that will arrive tomorrow. I will install them and then test the system. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
rskeans wrote:
Did you try lubricating the slides?

The slides have been cleaned and lubricated

Wife Sue

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try lubricating the slides?
'14 RAM CTD,Aisin,CC,DRW,4.10 Longhorn, LB
Aerotanks.com 70 gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle LS36FW, Andersen Ultimate AL hitch

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is one from O'Reilly's 30 amp
Example 30 amp circuit breaker

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there a part number you can recall for the circuit breakers?

One more question. When the camper is hooked to the land line power cord the breaker doesn't trip as often, however when I am using only the power from the battery the breakers trip many times before the slides are in. I checked the battery with a volt meter and the battery has 12.4 volts and will draw down to 11.2 during slide out operation but returns back to 12.4 immediately after. When hooked to the power land source the battery reads 13.5 and the slides go out and in most of the time without tripping the breakers. Any suggestions???

Wife Sue

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Will probably be a 50 amp breaker. But look on the side of the old one to make sure.

The one on the left is for my slides as you can see the large wire going up to the pump.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Any auto parts store will have them.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
So those are the breakers! Where do you buy them from except from an RV dealer?

Wife Sue